Sign in to follow this  
tnmears

6 Wide Heavyweight Passenger Cars

I have created a set of 6 wide heavyweights for my setup. I built two coaches and a combine baggage car.

These are meant for local service.

000.png

Cheeky sailor for scale.

001.png

I am still working on a good diaphragm design. I am still basing it off the old Metroliner coach design.

002.png

For the coaches, I managed to keep the roof removable to access the interior.

003.png

I am really liking the design so far.

However, I still am not satisfied with the use of cheese in the roof, but at this size, I can't seem to find a small enough curve.

I am probably going to fix the trucks to eliminate the buffer style couplers.

Also, I'll probably remove the second door on the combine and extend the passenger area and add interiors to the rest.

Another thing is to expand the amount of dark green, but that is complicated by part selection, especially by lack of jumpers and tiles...

This looks awesome! Dark green is a good color, I used nearly the same colors and setup on my six-wide, four-car-long 1920's steam train. Do you have a locomotive in mind to pull these? If not, i would suggest looking at the Lone Ranger engine from set 79111: it can be updated like in this thread to be useful on any number of loco types: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=121651

(I hope it's okay to post this link, as it compares your lengthy coaches to my short ones.... if needed, I'll removed the thread link.)

I actually do have a heavy Pacific I built to pull them. I was actually going to post it tomorrow when there's more light for photos.

I also do have the Lone Ranger train, but I usually use that for back woods logging runs.

I agree the dark green is a great color and looks stunning on theses Heavyweights. If I may ask is your pacific going to be based of a C&O pacific?

I still am not satisfied with the use of cheese in the roof, but at this size, I can't seem to find a small enough curve.

Just a thought, but have you considered reducing the width of the clerestory? If you reduced it to 2 studs rather than 4 you could use curved pieces for the roof section and do away with the cheese.

I am really liking the design so far.

However, I still am not satisfied with the use of cheese in the roof, but at this size, I can't seem to find a small enough curve.

I am probably going to fix the trucks to eliminate the buffer style couplers.

Also, I'll probably remove the second door on the combine and extend the passenger area and add interiors to the rest.

Another thing is to expand the amount of dark green, but that is complicated by part selection, especially by lack of jumpers and tiles...

These are looking good. Personally I would go with a cheese slope roof like this (but perhaps use the 1x2 cheese). In the past I used the 1x4x4/3 curved bricks here and here, but those are rare these days. You could use the 1x1x4/3 version or the 1x4x4/3 version. The latter have the advantage that if you added 1x2 door rail plates on the clearstory for "vents" (as is prototypical) you could do away with all tiles used to support the removable roof (see my two examples noted earlier to see what I mean). In any of these cases you would have the same roof height.

For the buffers, if you are not against modifying lego, the actual bumpers on the buffers can be quickly removed with a small saw. I also have an example of making quick and dirty 3 axle trucks here.

You are probably going to be hard pressed to do better for the diaphragms.

Yes, the combine would look better with a single baggage door and you might want to add windows to the remaining baggage door. These days there is a pretty good selection of tiles in dark green but yes, the lack of jumper plates is frustrating. You could do a jumper plate in the middle and then figure out a 2x5 plate combination to support the doors, but that will be obvious when the roof is off.

This looks awesome! Dark green is a good color, I used nearly the same colors and setup on my six-wide, four-car-long 1920's steam train. Do you have a locomotive in mind to pull these? If not, i would suggest looking at the Lone Ranger engine from set 79111: it can be updated like in this thread to be useful on any number of loco types: http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=121651

You can find instructions for my Lone Ranger mod here (I think it turns it into a mighty fine locomotive... and you can even use standard lego technic beams to keep it pure lego)

Keep up the great building

I agree the dark green is a great color and looks stunning on theses Heavyweights. If I may ask is your pacific going to be based of a C&O pacific?

Yes.

Just a thought, but have you considered reducing the width of the clerestory? If you reduced it to 2 studs rather than 4 you could use curved pieces for the roof section and do away with the cheese.

I thought about doing that, but it would ruin the proportions.

These are looking good. Personally I would go with a cheese slope roof like this (but perhaps use the 1x2 cheese). In the past I used the 1x4x4/3 curved bricks here and here, but those are rare these days. You could use the 1x1x4/3 version or the 1x4x4/3 version. The latter have the advantage that if you added 1x2 door rail plates on the clearstory for "vents" (as is prototypical) you could do away with all tiles used to support the removable roof (see my two examples noted earlier to see what I mean). In any of these cases you would have the same roof height.

For the buffers, if you are not against modifying lego, the actual bumpers on the buffers can be quickly removed with a small saw. I also have an example of making quick and dirty 3 axle trucks here.

You are probably going to be hard pressed to do better for the diaphragms.

Yes, the combine would look better with a single baggage door and you might want to add windows to the remaining baggage door. These days there is a pretty good selection of tiles in dark green but yes, the lack of jumper plates is frustrating. You could do a jumper plate in the middle and then figure out a 2x5 plate combination to support the doors, but that will be obvious when the roof is off.

You can find instructions for my Lone Ranger mod here (I think it turns it into a mighty fine locomotive... and you can even use standard lego technic beams to keep it pure lego)

Keep up the great building

In the first iteration, I actually did use those pieces instead of cheese, but found they were one or two plates too tall. I had like several PAB cups full of them I had got just for this.

I am probably just going to put old style couplers on them instead and I try not to modify.

Edited by tnmears