Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

The Silver Train

The Spanish were mining staggering amounts of silver bullion from New Spain and Peru. But how were they to transport such a large amount of silver to the ports? Afterall silver isn't exactly light! So they established a rail line to transport the silve along the towns of Spain Main. However, this activity and resulted silver shipments attracted pirates and privateers both in the Caribbean and across the Atlantic.

Sir Franics Drake, one of the most successful English Privateer sacked the Silver Train. He made off with a fortune in gold, but had to leave behind another fortune in silver because it was too heavy to carry back to England.

Now how would this translate into a LEGO set? Imagine an old steam engine filled with treasure chests... There would be half a dosen Imperial Amarda mini-figures to guard the train... A couple of pesky Pirates trying to raid the train... A Spanish colonial station for the train to stop at... With an old fashioned clerk to do the book work... And of course train tracks... Monkeys and parrots would be nice additions... A palm tree or two around the station... Just imagine...

Sounds neat.... now let's see ya build it....

you ol' salty dog!!

Ben M.

Nice idea, but a strange mix. I'd rather see an adventurers train before pirates.

I just can't imagine a pirate sacking a train full of silver...

I'm still learning new stuff every day... Instead of learning new stuff every day where I really should be learning it...

Hmm... I'm not that big a fan of steam engine trains but I do have a small steam engine with a tender, 2 of the green passenger cars and the red caboose of the "My Own Train" line, a few palm trees, a monkey, some pirates and some guards (no Armada, though). A little alteration on the Imperial Trading Post could make it a nice train station. I think it should be possible to mix something together - but I'm not that great a MOC-builder and pics of the real Silver Train are hard and almost impossible to find so the train wouldn't look a lot different from the original MOT-stuff, I'm afraid. But I could try - once my room is ready (hopefully this summer)...

No pressure there Hobbes!

I wasn't expecting anyone to actually go and do a MOC but it would be great if someone could. I'd probaby give it a go if I knew which train and which parts to get. And if I had the space and money plus a digital camera to show everyone. However I lack these so its not really feasible at the moment.

I thought this would be a geat way to bridge Pirate fans and Train fans together!

No imagination required its been done for real - Franics Drake actually did it!

No offense meant, phes, but do you have a link for that. I thought Drake lived long before the old steam locamotives were used much. then again, I may be getting my historical wires crossed.

Akkh

No imagination required its been done for real - Franics Drake actually did it!

No offense meant, phes, but do you have a link for that. I thought Drake lived long before the old steam locamotives were used much. then again, I may be getting my historical wires crossed.

Akkh

You're right. It was a train of mules.

even if it was either mules or a real train i still like your idea phes i myself would build it if i had the pieces

No you're right...

Here's an article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Drake

The first steam train wasn't running until 1804 - over 200 years after Franics Drake kicked the bucket. But a locomotive is somewhat more exciting than a bunch of mules... The idea was to over look the anachronism.

Hrm...a lego mule train could be interesting all on its own...

Or its possible with the myriad technic pieces abounding that one could do an interesting moc of a prototypical steam engine train...that could be very neat. Steam punk has always been one of my favorite genres.

Mighht have to look into that.

Akkh

Hrm...a lego mule train could be interesting all on its own...

How would you go about making a mule train? LEGO hasn't made any donkeys yet has it? Horses wouldn't be right.

Hrm...If you don't mind doing a bit of historical stretching, you could have them hit a spice caravan in india. Elephants...we have elephants.

Akkh

I always thought there were elephants in south America until the Spanish came along and made them extict there. Ok! So maybe not!

Is using elephants any less relastic than having a steam train 200-300 years before they were in use? I dunno... Maybe someone like Imperial John could make a MOC Mule. He made MOC piggies afterall!

If lego made donkeys that would be awesome. They could make camels too. I missed my chances to buy oritental expition stuff. I want a middle eastern knights set. Sorry for getting off topic. A adventurers train would be awesome.