Dukii

Just got into Lego trains! Advice please!

I bought the LEGO CITY Cargo Train #60052 on ebay for 149.99usd,

I was wondering would it be good if I bought another one to increase my train tracks and train parts? Or look for another train set?

I've seen other train sets but they are way up in price compared to the curret city Cargo train. And the high speed train with the small station doesn't look that great for 120.00USD on ebay..

Could anyone give me some advice on what to buy. Looking to expanding my collection while not trying to spend such huge amounts of money on the Maersk or other expensive trains ) :

Keep an eye on ebay for track lots like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-City-Grey-Train-Track-Lot-33-Curved-17-Straight-and-2-Switch-Tracks-/272168586798?hash=item3f5e830e2e:g:lScAAOSwxp9W5ZTe

Be careful that your not paying premium price for the old 9v metal tracks which you do not need with the newer Power Function system which has all plastic track.

You can go to Lego.com and buy track and now is a good time since they have double VIP points:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Trains-ByTheme

Welcome to the club!

I suggest buying track separately to expand how much track you have instead of buying a whole other train set. If you want to get more train parts like buffers, wheels, train bases, etc. I would suggest looking at bricklink and eBay and maybe even Lego's Pick A Brick. If you want another train I was able to get the 60098 Heavy Haul Train off the amazon.fr site for around $148 USD and that included the shipping if you live in the U.S but that was a couple of months ago and to see the final price you need to go all the way through checkout and if you don't like the price don't press order. Welcome to trains!

-RailCo

If I may ask is buying another train set a waste of money? its driving me nuts I don't know how much the values on train sets goes, and I do not want to make a mistake and regret it later..

I saw the high speed train but if I bought that I wouldnt really use everything : /

I just bought the consitution because Its a western style set and I love those X_X

I got an extra motor and infared thing for the controller!

Im having trouble with bricklink. I dont know if buying western sets would be cheaper or should I buy seperate pieces for my own creation?

any tips?

What trouble are you having with Bircklink? Unless you are trying to re-create a rare set whose Instructions are worth $100.00 or more (like #10190 Market Street) it is rarely cheaper to buy the parts individually. Any savings on individual parts will be eaten up by shipping from a multiple of vendors.The best value is to buy used sets from a seller that has a lot of feedback and states in the description that the set is complete. Here is a good example:

http://www.bricklink...itemID=78628618

Here is a link to the full line of Western sets that came out in 1996-1997:

http://www.bricklink...=S&catString=69

Edited by ecmo47

Not wanting to spend a lot of money may mean you'll have to design and build a lot of it yourself with what you already have in pieces and what you can afford to get. There are ways to get amount of parts with out breaking the bank. Recently I got into a group buy of train couplers with a bunch of other builders. We Bricklink ordered a large amount from Germany and paid one shipping cost. It is cheaper than everyone making their own orders and paying individual shipping. LEGO store Pick A Brick wall is another way to get a lot of parts economically when they have the parts you want and you have the time to pack as many as you can into the cups. Basically you want to look at economy of scale and have a spreadsheet to grind out numbers for comparison shopping.

I'd recommend trying to find a 7939 for a good price. It includes a good amount of track (including 2 switches) and some decent rail-yard accessories.

Instead of getting another set 60052 (which is ok, but not so to deserve multiples), i suggest 60098. You get different type of locomotive, one very nice brown wagon, two acceptable flat-top wagons and nice. For price diffenrence to 60052 (160 vs 180), you could add one set of points (20euro), which combined gets you even more tracks (60098 has 12 straigths and 60052 has 8).

I wold recommend 60051 too. Its not that much of a part pack, but still very decent train with curves and straights (its predecessor got just curves and flexi tracks).And, remember, curves could not be bought separately anymore, so its good use every opportunity to grab some.

Another set too look forward to is also 60050. It's nice station with four straight trakcs, which always come handy.

I really dislike my 60098 and I have not found reason to love that set at all, even after owning a copy. I usually enjoy a Lego set far more in person regardless of what's on the box. I did not care for this set and owning it in person just made me feel it's useful for extra track parts, wheels, baseplates, couplers, RC parts, etc. I kept it together for about 6 weeks.

I'm a fan of 60052 and even more so, I purchased a second set of 60051 with no regrets as it will allow me to maake it with 2 locos (1 powered), and 4 passenger cars (I purchased 1 extra on amazon), and I think it's actually a very good looking train for Lego production. I decided to double my 60051 rather than purchase Horizon Express on eBay for because I think it's that attractive, it has good lines, good brick built, with the exception of it's attractie front section.

I also like Lego Train Station 60050. I'm kind of impressed by how far Lego production trains sets have come since the previous generation. 60050 is not perfect, but it has a lot of nice neutral parts and colors that go well into a MOC.

Thanks for the help guys! I actually got 4 trains now! most of them were bids on ebay so I got a bunch of parts, train tracks and some train wagons!

now im looking into my city. anyone know whats a good price for Ninjago Lego stuff? I'm thinking about buying the Fire temple which is retired... and The temple of airjitzu

Not to be harsh but we have given plenty of advise on trains and now you're way off topic. Your question can be easily answered with a google search and it will lead you to either brickpicker.com or bricklink.com. Take the time to get familiar with Bricklink because it can answer most any Lego question including the one above.

Edited by ecmo47