Murdoch17

Open - sided railway locomotive shed - 60103 MOD

The shed is based off set 60103 (Airport Air Show) and has now been updated (3/4/16) to have a bigger, stronger roof with less gaps. I also removed the inner platform as it wasn't my best work and didn't look right.

25505683075_6f7754d55b_z.jpg

This construct is a 74 studs long x 32 studs wide locomotive shed. (that's the actual shed coverage, not the track itself: the track is 80 studs long alone) For those of you who like math, or would want to build this yourself, the size of the shed + track in more conventional measurements is 25 inches or 63.5 centimeters long and 10 inches / 25.4 centimeters wide. I don't know the height, but it is the same height as my new black-and-red shed design and my older World City building.

By the way: baseplates were not added for two reasons:

1) the model is slightly off at some point and does fit in real life, but not digitally. (you will either need a 32 x 80 stud baseplate, or a combination of smaller baseplates.)

2) Baseplates keep crashing the model file for some reason.

25210074420_9e52d71696_z.jpg

The shed is 11 bricks tall at it's lowest point, and 15 bricks tall in the center.

25387197472_737e19c84a_z.jpg

The side view of the model. The shed can accommodate 8 wide trains with ease and is extendable to be as long or as short as you need it.

25138160899_cf38e3e6b0_z.jpg

Here we see my Southern Pacific GS-6 "Daylight" 4460 and a 4-8-2 mountain type locos with the shed to give you a sense of scale. These are the longest locomotives (not including two unit diesels) I own, and they fit with room to spare.

Please note: The engine's are NOT included in the shed's digital file!

24462189421_cc0a2a245d_z.jpg

And here it is in real life to help you figure the size of the shed.

LDD file for the shed ONLY: http://www.moc-pages.com/user_images/80135/1457118933m.lxf

(If you are interested in the steam loco and want to know more / have the LDD file, please look here: http://www.eurobrick...topic=118894 )

Comments, questions, and complaints welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

It looks very well. In my opinion, if you will build the model in reality, it would look better with trans-clear, trans-blue or trans-yellow plates for the roof.

I have updated the main post with a, more robust version of the shed.

Neat. I think it can also double as a passenger platform. :classic:

That's a good idea, and one I hadn't thought of.

It looks very well. In my opinion, if you will build the model in reality, it would look better with trans-clear, trans-blue or trans-yellow plates for the roof.

I'll looks into it, but it might get even more expensive to do so that it already is, especially in trans-yellow.

Edited by Murdoch17

Nice, and much better than the original hangar which has those large gaps.

Thank you. for those who don't know the original set or how it looks and have no idea what we are talking about, see here: (picture from Brickset)

60103-1.jpg?201601281016