Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Holland

[MOC] Reading Crusader - Steam Locomotive w/ Sound

Hello to all! My name is Glenn Holland, I'm a mechanical engineering student and a member of PENNLUG. I have been reading Eurobricks posts for a while now and finally decided to join.

For my first post I'll show you my latest and greatest: the Reading "Crusader," a 4-6-2 G1sa (streamlined) pacific locomotive used to pull the Crusader from Philadelphia to Jersey City, with a connection to New York.

My model uses Big Ben wheels, 3D-printed rods courtesy of Zephyr1934, lights from LifeLites, and yes, sound. I'll leave that for later. My model is fairly simple, in essence. It is powered using two PF train motors mounted to the tender. They operate off of one PF rechargeable battery. Both the locomotive and tender are 9 studs wide. (8 wide locomotive + 1/2 stud of streamlining on either side = 9 studs). This makes for some really interesting connections between the body and chassis. Nonetheless, the outcome is brilliant. Because of the extra stud in width, I was able to include a valve gear, which adds to the motion.

post-152671-0-12531900-1452308106_thumb.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...s/41032663@N08/ Here is my Flickr page in case the photo does not go through.

I unveiled the model last year at Brickworld Chicago, among many other prominent train builders. I borrowed PENNLUG member Josh Sanders' car set to go behind the locomotive, which handled the train with ease.

The Crusader uses a sound system from Dallee Electronics. A fellow engineer at college actually happened to be doing an internship for this company and was able to help me install the system. I cannot recommend the company enough, it's a great system, very compatible with LEGO PF components without the need for excessive modification. I use the new High-Line steam sound system, along with a magnetic chuff sensor and speaker (which happens to be exactly 5 studs wide, fitting perfecltly inside the locomotive.)

Here is a link to a small vlog-style video I made of the locomotive when I debuted the sound system at a train show:

The model was also featured on an O-Scaler website. Look for the update on 12/21/15:

http://kohs.com/News/news_15.htm

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think!

Glenn

Oh wow! She is a real treat to watch (and hear) running. A fantastic build and then all of the additional electronics hidden inside to boot. The overview video was great, glad you kept the derailment in, it is so true to lego trains, especially how quickly you were able to recover from it. As cool as the sound card is, there are lots of neat curves on the engine itself, e.g., the cab and how it nicely tucks over the tender. Great work!

Thank you all for the compliments! There will definitely be more of this in the future, and not just from me, most likely...

Just a small segway.... Those are XL BBB wheels right? I thought they only sold them in black grey and red? Or am I just missing something >->

Yes, they are XL size. I used Krylon Patriot Blue spay paint on them. It sticks very well and is a very good Lego blue match.