Ironscotsman

[MOC] [LDD] T-70 X-wing Microfig / Midi Scale

Hi All! New member here, looking to start sharing some of the stuff I've been working on since I got back into LEGO moc'ing after my dark ages. I don't have a lot of display space or a large collection, so I've been enjoying focusing on small desk-top display models, which fits great with Microfig sized stuff. My latest project is the T-70 X-wing in microfig scale, at least approximately. It's inspired by Brickdoctor's midi x-wing from one of his advent calendar series, and by the Psiaki x-wing's nose.

I'm planning to buy the pieces to build it in real bricks, but for now I've just got renders. I apologize for the funky lighting - I'm still learning the render software.

23613595014_0b9579c7f9_c.jpg

24241830325_290c0a580b_c.jpg

23614997823_86dbde10b2_c.jpg

24241830195_75accbef1b_c.jpg

24241830245_eaa0048efd_c.jpg

24241830515_206219bb53_c.jpg

23613595334_ce0e45a661_c.jpg

23614998133_c8e2d3f76d_c.jpg

23613595474_64aae57a81_c.jpg

I'm still trying to work out some design issues. The cockpit piece is the best solution I've found, but it's obviously not nearly long enough. I don't really like it, but haven't been able to build or find anything I like better.

I'm also still trying to figure out how to move the front landing strut further forward without messing up the profile. Having landing gear, even if they're just hinge plates, is important to me for some reason.

I'm also uncertain I've got the wing and engine proportions right, so I may play around with that a bit more.

So what do you think? Any ideas on how I can improve it?

Link to the album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskrqXogH

Edited by Ironscotsman

These look fantastic! I can't wait to see them in real bricks. If you wouldn't mind sharing the .LXF file I can add these to my ever-growing backlog of projects to Bricklink. :laugh:

I like the idea behind this MOC, but the X-Wing can been did better. The shape of the windscreen looks too fat and the shaping of the rear fuselage are too low and wide.

Nice. I agree that it's a bit wide in the back, but I think you've captured it really nicely at this scale! :classic:

Sure, I can share the .lxf. Where do people here generally upload .lxf files to for sharing?

Thanks for your comments! They inspired me to take another look at the back this morning. My original intent was to capture the slope on the top and bottom at the back of the fuselage that the T-70 has, but the T-65 doesn't. I probably hamstrung myself when I went for the 4 x 1 curved slopes and tried to stick with an odd numbered stud width to keep the build simpler. When I tinkered this morning, I found that I could transition back to an even stud width the same way I did with the nose and I think it works great!

24227119046_ffeb80433e_c.jpg

23624607424_34848bf301_c.jpg

Now I want to greeble the back with all that extra space I have, but I'm not very good with greebles. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

I'm still stuck on the cockpit windscreen. Any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Edited by Ironscotsman

Sure, I can share the .lxf. Where do people here generally upload .lxf files to for sharing?

You can add it as an attachment. Go to 'more reply options' and press 'add attachment' at the bottom. It should be pretty easy to figure out. :wink:

Looks amazing, but one thing that I am worried about is the stability of those lower Wings (especially in the S-Foil position). Are they only attached by 2 studs?

Looks amazing, but one thing that I am worried about is the stability of those lower Wings (especially in the S-Foil position). Are they only attached by 2 studs?

Yeah, the lower wings are only held on by two studs, but I'm not too concerned. This thing will only ever sit on its landing gear or on a stand, so the wings should never bear any load. I think two studs should be enough for display and for swooshability, but we'll see when I build it.

The .lxf file is here

Some more tweaks to the back:

24301944405_0fa027ca46_c.jpg