Sign in to follow this  
LEGODalekbuster523

LEGO sets: Has it become like booking tickets for a concert?

Doctor Who now sold out until January 11th. If you wanted it as a Christmas present for someone it is now impossible, at least if you want it from lego. That's only six days from release. Sure you can still pre-order, but for how long?

??On the US site it says Available Now.

I think this problem only exists with the Ideas sets and other exclusives, but Ideas mostly. Sure, when the first 2016 sets come out there'll be a mad rush to buy them, but you still have a whole year to get them. Plus, as many have said, it's only a temporary hole.... TLG will restock the sets. So has it become like booking tickets for a concert? No.

??On the US site it says Available Now.

It is subject to change! That was correct at the time of writing for the UK store, which after a quick check has now changed to December 17th for shipping. So presumably they have done a bit of stock re-allocation in the mean time. Still a bit tight for anyone in the UK that wants it for Christmas though.

TLG will restock the sets. So has it become like booking tickets for a concert? No.

On the other hand, its not like the Rolling Stones* only did one concert either...

*Other sets artists are available

Edited by Heppeng

I don't have a lot of experience with LEGO sets as I am just getting back in the game, but I am planning on purchasing the Ghostbusters HQ in January, and will be showing up at my local LEGO store to buy it. I was told that it is probably easier to actually go to the store than to try and purchase it online as it could sell out more quickly.

But this is just what I was told.

The higher the price the more likely it is to not sell out. Sure Doctor Who sold out because it was under $100 and a previously un-released license (I'm not counting the Dimensions set). Ghostbusters HQ at a few $100 will not sell out, as the Ecto-1 is still available and only the most diehard fans will shell out that much for it.

Really, only Idea sets which are relatively inexpensive (less than $100) run the risk of selling out.

That's a good point. You are probably right the GHQ will not sell out as fast as Doctor Who due to the difference in price. However, going to the LEGO store when it comes out also allows me to have it on release. :)

The higher the price the more likely it is to not sell out. Sure Doctor Who sold out because it was under $100 and a previously un-released license (I'm not counting the Dimensions set). Ghostbusters HQ at a few $100 will not sell out, as the Ecto-1 is still available and only the most diehard fans will shell out that much for it.

Really, only Idea sets which are relatively inexpensive (less than $100) run the risk of selling out.

Could be, but then again.... it's been pretty much confirmed since september and with the holidays between it, people had the opportunity to either spend money now or hold off and buy the GBHQ on release.

I only bought the Doctor Who set this month and nothing else, just to accommodate the GBHQ with regards to spending. No christmas presents for me - just GBHQ. And precisely because it is such an expensive thing, who knows how many they really made as a first batch.

Either way, I bet a lot of people will be buying this bad boy come january 1st...