Does anyone know if a LDD can be broken into instruction based images, like if there is a 3rd party software for this?

I am working on a MOC that I want to give my 7yo for Xmas, it's based on 7498, the 2011 Police Station and I have the instructions for this but want to add extra utility and play features to it so am considering adding parts of 60047. I'm thinking of making a police training facility!

I'd prefer to give it to her to build rather than present it made up, but not sure how to go about this?

There's a feature in the program, accessed by a button in the top right corner (a brick floating above another, with "1" and "2" in circles), that automatically generates instructions.

If I remember how it works, first you'll want to use the "Groups" tool (small tab above the part name search) to select and isolate subassemblies and help the software recognize what segments should be done all at once. The software may still not generate instructions in an ideal sequence, but that helps keep it from jumping all over. The parts in the part callouts for each step can be rotated with right drag if any are at an angle that makes it hard to identify - the assemblies in the main view can be rotated in the same way, but the newest rotation will apply to all steps in the assembly.

The instructions can be exported to a HTML file and printed from a browser.

Outside of the building guide mode, Control-K from the main building mode will take a clean backdrop picture of the view on your screen, if after making instructions you want to zoom in on anything, hinge, re-position parts, and create demos of features to add to the end of the instructions proper.

And another thing that can be done: Prior to generating the instructions, if you use control-6, you will access the preferences, where you can select the visual option "outlines on bricks" to make it clear where one part ends and another starts (the software needs to be restarted before the parts generate like this)

Others can tell you about the third party options if you want more control and presentation, but if the included functionality will do what you need, it's in there.

I hope your cool mom skills fill your daughter's Christmas with delight :classic:

There's a feature in the program, accessed by a button in the top right corner (a brick floating above another, with "1" and "2" in circles), that automatically generates instructions.

Indeed, LDD have a feature for generating instructions. Resulting instructions, however may be of varying quality depending on model you have. Sometimes it will generate instructions that you simply can't follow (like inserting part in the middle of the structure, parts hanging in the air, etc.).

If I understand correctly, Blueprint generate instructions using manual guidance, so - results may be better; didn't tried it myself.

Note that it is possible to manage LDD instruction using gruops.

The procedure has some limitations but works.

In the section index you can find the topic where the procedure is explained.

Surely blueprint is more useful. If something don't satisfy you, you can ever try to contact its author through the dedicated topic or in private.

Thanks guys! I found the button last night, although I feel now with a 1000 pieces I may have bitten off more than I can chew... but at least I'm starting in October!

This is only useful if you're an author of the model. If you've got LXF from web, it's a bit late to add groups.

@xlib

This is one of the limitations! You can, obviously, but it is a lot of work.

Anyway nothing prevent you to add a macro-subdivision in group, in order to avoid some of the quirks of the LDD instructions generator.

You will not obtain a step-by-step control, but it could help to separate main objects.

I'll second the Blueprint recommendation. It's fairly easy to use and you can set the steps much easier. Perfect for something to go on rebrickable.

In the section index you can find the topic where the procedure is explained.

Hey Calabar,

Where is this, I can't find the topic you mean.

Sounds interesting; didn't know about this feature.

EDIT: Already found it, thanks for the tip!

Edited by Withacee