neoconagenda

75095 UCS TIE Fighter - Post build thoughts

I have to preface this with the fact that I was never going to buy this set. It was a gift and sat in the box because I had such negative feelings towards it. The reason was that the designer strayed so far from the previous renditions that it did not "fit" in with the others. Basically his creativity clashed with my version of reality and I was not going to give the set another thought.

Flash forward through getting the set and finally building it...

I rarely do a complete 180 on such things especially when I have developed strong views on them. This is one of those times. I was completely impressed with the build up of the wings/foils. The spacing of the studs and plates gives a very nice effect. Plus they are solid. In fact the whole ship is solid. You really can swoosh this thing if you want to. The stand is also great for showing all sides of it. Plenty has been said about this set in other reviews. I just want to say that if you are on the fence about this set, or like me and completely despised it, please give it a second look. It really is a fun build with impressive techniques throughout.

I was pretty underwhelmed by this set during the initial unveiling. Once I finally experienced it in person, my opinion completely changed. It's really amazing how solid the build is. I plan on picking one up for christmas.

Same for me. After unveiling set, it looked nothing special, to simple, too big and too impractical. I already have system scale TIE, so I decided to stick with it, but after seening it next to UCS version, I decided to get rid of it ASAP and UCS TIE went on my shopping list. Only thing preventing me from getting it for new year would be if Hoth base or new DS would be totally awesome, preventing me from waiting until next holdiay season.

Only thing still bothering me on 75095 is its size. That thing looks really difficult to store and exhibit.

I've just built the UCS Tie. I'm amazed with how clever the 'wings' are, for example the way the 'spars' are linked from the front to the back with the droid arms.

It is big though. Here it is in my new cabinet with the Slave 1 and Imperial Shuttle

21681202321_d589e09313_b.jpg

This model follow the trend of other recent UCS : it bends with time... :sceptic:

It is built for 5 months, and :

- space between the top of the wings : 28,8 cm

- space between the botom of the wings : 27,6 cm

Technically there are some nice tricks, but the model is not that impressive for a 1,700 part model.

10240 is much, much more interesting technically speaking. And it doesn't bent. :O

This model follow the trend of other recent UCS : it bends with time... :sceptic:

It is built for 5 months, and :

- space between the top of the wings : 28,8 cm

- space between the botom of the wings : 27,6 cm

Technically there are some nice tricks, but the model is not that impressive for a 1,700 part model.

10240 is much, much more interesting technically speaking. And it doesn't bent. :O

Hello anio,

Is this "bending process" a result of the building technique or a result of different plastic used for the newer bricks?

With my minimal building experience, it seems the older bricks used (or sets in the past) to click or had a slightly tighter fit.

Which recent ucs sets bend? I haven't had the chance to put them all together and put them against the test of time.

Thanks

I tried to post a pic of it next to the DSII but it tells me that upload is not allowed... Any clues as to why?

You need to upload the photos onto another site (e.g. flickr or Brickshelf) and then you can deeplink them from it. Please keep the size to a maximum of 800 x 600; there's a dedicated thread (link) if you need any help with it :classic: The UCS TIE is next on my shopping list, but I'm waiting for some sort of discount on it before I do. Hopefully we'll get double VIP points sometime next month.

Really? Shame as it seems really solid when first built. Will keep an eye on it.

I had dismissed this set, but I might pick it up with double VIP points in October. I assume you could display it without the stand, and just rest it on the wings to try and avoid it bending?

Is this "bending process" a result of the building technique or a result of different plastic used for the newer bricks?

Not that much to do with building techniques.

Wings are very heavy. Big and 3 plates thick.

And the pylons (arms, if you will), are only 5 plates thick to support those big wings. Technically speaking, the arms supporting the wings are even only 1 brick thick (3 plates). Indeed, the upper and lower plates and brackets do not bring much support as they do not go deep in the cockpit (for example, the SNOTed ring made with curved brick leads the designer to use only a 4L plate on the underside of the arm). I do not understand how no one at TLG saw this. Or maybe they saw it but didn't care... (which is much more likely IMO).

Which recent ucs sets bend?

Slave 1 UCS after 7 months :

956899215003P1050560.jpg

(don't ask me if I did a mistake when I built the model. I built the model exactly as shown in the instruction).

I think the bending problem with many UCS-Sets can be fixed in alomosr all cases. The hanging nose of the 10030 was about 1cm from the moment when the model was finished. Ok, i had to spent about 50€ to get a stable Star Destroyer. But in this case I think this can't be fixed. I just bought the UCS TIE and I think have exclude the stand --- every half year :)

Edited by took9

Sorry to bump an old post but I wanted to try inserting these pics from Imgur... As well as show my new shelves now that I got my room back!

2mDSuCQ.jpg?1

ZU7xkrW.jpg?1

Also got a Technic itch...

4KFcgPl.jpg