Soul

YABUM (Yet Another Bricklinked UCS MF)

Welcome to the club!

Once you've finished your build I'd love to hear what you think about the black lattice substitution for the engines. I initially went that route but did not like how the substitution changed the aesthetics of the engines. Ultimately, I opted for the engine mod created by Pepa Quin and made famous by ScottishDave (he put LEDs in there!).

Edited by Daphatty

Agreed I'm not sure sure about the black lattice either. I might try painting it to see what that looks like but if I'm still not happy I'll look at some engine mods.

Another order and 42 parts (mostly Technic beams) arrived today. So I'm just waiting for the final order which my colleague is bringing over from Poland for me this week.

All the pieces are now here and it's a LOT of Lego :)

21844752795_133fea0419_b.jpg

I started to build then realised that I had the lots split between bags from the different orders and it was going to be hard to find stuff, so instead I've spent the evening sorting everything out so all the lots are together etc.

Hopefully it should be easier from now on :laugh:

Oh the build journey is going to be a whole lot of fun!

I spent about 2 weeks, 1-2hrs per day, slowly building the MF and it is a joy. :)

I'm certainly looking forward to it. Once I'd spent a couple of hours sorting out the pieces it was midnight, but I had to at least build something before I went to bed. So got this far by the time I gave up :grin:

21662343489_a7a6e4ccc4_b.jpg

I must say I envy you for your upcoming building experience... For me its the single best LEGO model, hands down!

Enjoy it!

Certainly fun so far, and I'm not many pages in :sweet:

More frame done tonight

21883120981_0470204772_b.jpg

I don't think I've got enough 'crappy' pieces to use them on the surface to make it look weathered, so I'm using them inside the frame where they won't be seen.

Great progress... I used a lot of time on the frame myself, not to miss a step in the instructions... It gets easier with some time.

I can strongly advise to have a lot of 2x3 and 2x4 plates in old gray handy for the top plates... The covers are sometimes four plates thick and use lot of different sized and shaped plates. Imho it looks brilliant to have a lot of different shades build into them to make it look more "real"

Great work, Soul! The frame is relatively quick to build and I've always enjoyed that part, but it will start to look a lot more impressive when you've added the feet and mandibles!. It's probably fairly obvious, but I'd really recommend that you build the feet in parallel (I didn't the first time and regretted it afterwards! :wink:)

I'm looking forward to seeing more updates.

Thanks chaps, unfortunately I didn't have a big stock of old grey parts. I have had to buy most of the bits and they've tended to be either new or in good condition LBG. So the old plates I do I have used in the frame as I think just one or two on top would have looked more odd. We'll see how it looks at the end though, and I'm sure I might swap some bits around later.

Got a lot of the frame done now :grin:

21276587843_b703f1f81c_b.jpg

Edited by Soul

Man... I love this shape! I really gotta start working on propper MF MOC (bricklinking this is far unaffordable for me :sad:) I'm thinking of about 1/2 - 2/3 size, custom design. Can't stand not having this icon any longer :grin_wub:

Well my wife has said it can't stay on the coffee table once it's built!

I think I'm going to wall mount it in the lounge where the rest of my UCS collection lives.

The rest of the collection :laugh:

21485201959_61793e2abe_b.jpg

21681202321_d589e09313_b.jpg

21484095600_3e60173c07_b.jpg

I'm very lucky my wife allows them in the lounge and on display!

You can custom-build a coffee/display table for the 10179. It definitely deserve a place of its own! :)

Edited by Azrielsc

The Falcon now has feet. Defintely was worth building the feet in parallel Lobot :laugh:

Glad to be of help Soul....I built them individually the first time, but quite why I can't recall! :look:

It IS big......

Yes, I was really rather surprised when I added the first mandible to it, I think it's the first time that you get a real idea of the size of it. Keep up the great work, but I'd recommend that you take your time with it and enjoy the building process. And, that's an impressive collection, you're very lucky to be able to display everything like that (99% of mine is tucked away safely in its boxes!).

I hope you have a spare desk or table to put it on :grin:

Or a wall! (Recognize this falcon, Lobot?)

21352541274_9518bc9f68.jpg

Edited by Regimus