legomilk

Castle sets 2008/2009

It kind of looks like a dark blue dragon, but when I first saw it I just assumed it was part of the art on the box (like a rock formation or something).

Once we see clearer pics, I will judge the sets more harshly. For right now, the Troll Fortress and Drawbridge Defense look pretty good.

Drawbridge Defence looks to me like a rehash of 6078-1: Royal Drawbridge.

I think you're right.

It surely looks like they've found some inspiration in that great old castle set.

I can give you small hints about each of the coming sets.... ) :sweet:

1) Chariot. Will include a golden chest. )

2) Drawbridge. Golden Warrior, Queen, jester, and 2 undead warriors. One on the horse in a cape, and scythe.... )

3) Troll Fortress. 2 huge trolls with printed markings on their forehead, on the wals lots of "water-plants". ) Has a wich, a king (in regular crown helmet, though I think it's preliminary). If, I'm not mistaken, has a captured king, but not sure here.... ) :hmpf_bad:

Good day, gentlemen! ) :sweet:

Drawbridge Defence looks to me like a rehash of 6078-1: Royal Drawbridge.

Haha, if you think that's the only drawbridge set LEGO has created, then might I remind you of these:

6075 Wolfpack Tower

6089 Stone Tower Bridge

8780 Citadel of Orlan

8822 Gargoyle Bridge

But yeah, I guess the new Drawbridge Defense looks most like the Royal Drawbridge, even though all of these are uncanningly similar.

You can just count yourself how many wagons the Castle-theme has seen throughout it's history. We keep getting the same stuff in a new form repeatedly, but I'm not complaining. They are LEGO, so I can rebuild the sets to whatever I want them to be. :wink:

Except that KK and Ninja don't count when talking Castle sets :tongue: and the Wolfpack Tower is more of a tower than a drawbridge :grin:

Except that KK and Ninja don't count when talking Castle sets :tongue: and the Wolfpack Tower is more of a tower than a drawbridge :grin:

Of course they count, silly - they both concentrate around castles, thus they are Castle sets. :tongue: But just look at the shape of these drawbridge sets - they're all very much alike.

But I have a feeling that the Drawbridge Defense will be the biggest and best out of all of them.

1) Chariot. Will include a golden chest.

2) Drawbridge. Golden Warrior, Queen, jester, and 2 undead warriors. One on the horse in a cape, and scythe.... )

3) Troll Fortress. 2 huge trolls with printed markings on their forehead, on the wals lots of "water-plants". ) Has a wich, a king (in regular crown helmet, though I think it's preliminary). If, I'm not mistaken, has a captured king, but not sure here.... ) :hmpf_bad:

1-Darn, I don't particularly like the gold chests.

2-Hurray, more capes! Too bad that we don't get any generic knights in it though.

3-Good to know! I don't want the Orc King to have some special crown...campy Orc king on!!

But I have a feeling that the Drawbridge Defense will be the biggest and best out of all of them.

I shared the same feeling too, especially by the count of its minifig and the scale of it. :classic:

1) Chariot. Will include a golden chest. )

Thanks for the news, Penguin. :sweet: I don't have a problem with golden chests- their good for keeping my gold and jewel pieces in, and i have plenty of the brown chests.

Guess I was wrong after all... but that dark blue thing still looks like a tail to me, and not a cape.

By the "witch", do you mean the Orc Queen? This sets good enough to me, now all of the four factions will have their own "base" (Crownies' Castle Siege, Skellies' Tower, Dwarves' Mine, and Orcs' Fortress).

Golden chest sounds great since I don't collect the Indy sets and they seem to be most prevalent in those. Capes are also good, though I was hoping to see maybe a dwarf or two somewhere in the sets. :sad:

I'm putting my money on the Troll Fortress :wink:

I was reading some previous posts about the prelim pics usually being off from what the final pics are. Are the changes simple and small to each other or does Lego usually make some drastic changes from the prelims to the final product?

Edited by Kenny

Just to let anybody know who may have better quality leaked pics but are too afraid to post them, they are free to PM me for my E-mail address and I'll post them. :thumbup:

I'm putting my money on the Troll Fortress :wink:

I was talking about all the drawbridge sets, not all the upcoming sets. :wink:

I was reading some previous posts about the prelim pics usually being off from what the final pics are. Are the changes simple and small to each other or does Lego usually make some drastic changes from the prelims to the final product?

That's hard to say.

I think it depends on wether new molds are needed, the production cost of the set and so forth.

I've spoken with a few set designers and they often have to redesign or remove parts, because the production cost would be too high. I think the preliminary pictures are meant as a layout on what the deisgners would like. Then the money-men steps in and start calculating. Then the set is overhauled by the calculation and finally launched.

I was talking about all the drawbridge sets, not all the upcoming sets. :wink:

My bad :blush:

Of course they count, silly - they both concentrate around castles, thus they are Castle sets. :tongue: But just look at the shape of these drawbridge sets - they're all very much alike.

For true castle fans, KK and Ninja's were an insult to the Castle name. They are years that Lego fans would try to forget. To see true Lego Castle sets, you have to go back to the Royal Drawbridge and other classic sets. And actually, the designs are all different. The only one that looks like the Drawbridge Defense is the Royal Drawbridge.

To see true Lego Castle sets, you have to go back to the Royal Drawbridge and other classic sets.

Haha, I'm sorry, but that's just bollocks. :tongue: Even though you might not like Ninja or KK, or think of them as "worthy" of being associated with the Castle-theme, that doesn't change the fact that they are real, official LEGO sets, and both of them revolve around castles (the other in Ancient Japan and the other in Candyland of Rainbows and Happiness). They both had sets that had drawbridges in them, why can't they be compared to the new Drawbridge Defense? Is it really such an "insult"?

Come on, we're not talking about Megabloks here, are we? :wink:

PS. Your hint that I wouldn't be a "true" castle fan just because I dare to speak about KK and Ninja in a positive tone is quite insulting, really.

PS. Your hint that I wouldn't be a "true" castle fan just because I dare to speak about KK and Ninja in a positive tone is quite insulting, really.

Plus, I find it kind of humorous that this claim comes from none other than "SWMAN"... the true castle fan :laugh:. Sure, I know that one can be into multiple themes, but it's still ironic.

For true castle fans, KK and Ninja's were an insult to the Castle name. They are years that Lego fans would try to forget. To see true Lego Castle sets, you have to go back to the Royal Drawbridge and other classic sets. And actually, the designs are all different. The only one that looks like the Drawbridge Defense is the Royal Drawbridge.

I think that you're missing the point with Ninja and KK, the fact is, look at the great parts they introduced, the katana, scorpion Knight helm, the Samurai helmets and Ninja scarves.

They also had some quite good sets, Ninja and KK are actually true castle, like it or not. Sets like Vladek's Dark Fortress and Mistlands Tower were awesome sets. And i think you'll find it surprising that, jelly beans they might be, it is completely accurate that you would have different colored uniforms and armor on a Medieval battlefield because of the Coat of arms of different Nobles in the King's court.

I also think that you shouldn't be so hostile, everyone has a right to their own opinion on EB, and Sandy's on KK and Ninja is making a positive note of normally negetively viewed sets.

Plus, I find it kind of humorous that this claim comes from none other than "SWMAN"... the true castle fan :laugh:. Sure, I know that one can be into multiple themes, but it's still ironic.

I admit, I am a bigger Star Wars than castle fan. But, from reading a lot in this forum, I have seen that a lot of people did not like the KK sets, including me. After reading what I wrote, Ninja was not really a bad theme, it just wasn't a very Castle theme in the traditional sense. And when I said true, I meant more old school fans that had been around it a while. I did not get to experience most of the old sets, but I enjoyed whatever I could get my hands on. KK were in my opinion a deviance from older Castle themes and offered little play value. I did not mean to offend anybody, but was simply stating my opinion. And with the drawbridges, I will stand my ground. If you look at the old Royal Drawbridge, it appears to the be closest to the new drawbridge.

Are you talking about KKI or KKII?

Because Ninja and KKI are as much a part of Castle as Black Falcons and Lion Knights.

Sir Dano, a true Castle fan. :knight:

Are you talking about KKI or KKII?

Because Ninja and KKI are as much a part of Castle as Black Falcons and Lion Knights.

Sir Dano, a true Castle fan. :knight:

Personally, I think that both KKI and KKII were bad. I do not want to offend or anger anyone by saying that.

Personally, I think that both KKI and KKII were bad. I do not want to offend or anger anyone by saying that.

KKI was pretty good although the castle could have been better. I like a few sets from KKII, but the rainbow-ness killed it.