noreha

Start of my first MOC modular...

The interior looks great, but may I suggest the use of red as trim on parts of the building? You already have some red with the awnings and sign and I think it'd break up the sort of monolith effect you've got going on. Apart from that, it's turning out quite nicely!

Thanks, yeah, it's something I am aware of, I don't want it to be an overwhelmingly grey building, and I do want to break up the large expanses of single colours, but I need to find the right way to do it... I've managed to hit the 2,000 brick mark (Hoping to limit it to around the 2,750 or so with optimisation)

tumblr_ntvdy6l2Ka1uekfiyo1_1280.png

tumblr_ntvple0DMq1uekfiyo1_1280.png

Added a rack for receivers and cables... and changed some of the trim to dark red... I like the changes, thanks for the advice Phoxtane :P

tumblr_ntvomtm06i1uekfiyo1_1280.png

You can also add here are the details.

14045.jpg?1

Haha, funny you should mention those...

tumblr_ntw0hzxp5e1uekfiyo1_1280.png

This looks very promising so far. Also the interior you're currently building seems to come out quite nicely.

I've managed to hit the 2,000 brick mark (Hoping to limit it to around the 2,750 or so with optimisation)

Remember that part count isn't everything. Sometimes having more parts is actually cheaper. A simple example would be the exchange of 4 1x2 Bricks in DBG for 1 1x8 in DBG. I don't know the current prices, but if you have to pay 0.02$ for a single 1x2 and 0,10$ for a single 1x8, using 1x2 is cheaper, even though you may end up with 200 parts more. Always check bricklink prices during the build process and optimization. It may save you 50$ or more! :)

This looks very promising so far. Also the interior you're currently building seems to come out quite nicely.

Remember that part count isn't everything. Sometimes having more parts is actually cheaper. A simple example would be the exchange of 4 1x2 Bricks in DBG for 1 1x8 in DBG. I don't know the current prices, but if you have to pay 0.02$ for a single 1x2 and 0,10$ for a single 1x8, using 1x2 is cheaper, even though you may end up with 200 parts more. Always check bricklink prices during the build process and optimization. It may save you 50$ or more! :)

Yeah, I have been keeping one eye on the prices of pieces as I build... and thanks for the compliment and advice, it is very much appreciated

tumblr_ntwauuGuvn1uekfiyo1_1280.png

tumblr_ntwd7zmDQD1uekfiyo1_1280.png

Edited by noreha

Awesomeness! I love the sign and the interior is coming along nicely. Do you plan to build it in real bricks at some point?

Awesomeness! I love the sign and the interior is coming along nicely. Do you plan to build it in real bricks at some point?

That's the plan! Once I've finished the digital build, I'll optimise the build and be brinklinking it over time. Hopefully I won't need to change a huge amount based on the economic need, but never say never!

It's funny, the music sign was a complete random moment of inspiration, I had the idea months ago for a music shop and had sketched a couple of outlines, but couldn't get a good sized sign to fit into the shop frontage. It wasn't until I decided to build it in LDD that it worked out, I built about 4-5 different ones, the one you see was clearly looked the best, but if it was connected square to the building, it just didn't look any good... so then came the mind blowing realisation that hinges exist... haha

tumblr_ntxa9rwEEd1uekfiyo1_1280.png

Edited by noreha

I really like this so far. I'd love it if a music store made its way into the official modulars line, but if not I'll be tackling my own as well. Love the sign and the album racks.

I always struggle with the top story/floor (and roof). I like how you made it stand apart from the second story/1st floor by altering the windows. I may have to ask for instructions and bricklink this myself. Idea this when you're satisfied and you have my instavote. Also the front door, instead of stealing place on the inside, it creates place for equipment. Brilliant solutions throughout.

Edited by Sir Stig

I always struggle with the top story/floor (and roof). I like how you made it stand apart from the second story/1st floor by altering the windows. I may have to ask for instructions and bricklink this myself. Idea this when you're satisfied and you have my instavote. Also the front door, instead of stealing place on the inside, it creates place for equipment. Brilliant solutions throughout.

Thank you for your kind words Sir Stig! I hadn't even considered putting this up for Lego Ideas, it was more a desire to build on to my modular street... Depending on how this one goes (cost/effort to get the parts, etc.), I do have another couple of modulars percolating in my head...

tumblr_nu0tvkslBs1uekfiyo1_1280.png

tumblr_nu0tvkslBs1uekfiyo2_1280.png

tumblr_nu0tvkslBs1uekfiyo3_1280.png

tumblr_nu16mi40Hu1uekfiyo1_1280.png

Latest revisions, still working on a few different things, fire escape down the back to fill in the blank space, the possibility of tiling the floors of the entire building, different window arrangements, colours, etc.

Edited by noreha

Bloody work getting in the way of me having fun building!!!

Here is my latest image, the beginning of the upper floor build...

tumblr_nu4sdkEMpi1uekfiyo1_1280.png

tumblr_nucb1hkk8r1uekfiyo1_1280.png

Latest iterations of the top floor, still not 100% happy with it, but it is taking shape...