CM4Sci

2016 Speed Champions Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I have a harder time liking the race cars just because they make an already too-stickered piece even more so. Still, of the race cars, I think the R8 is pretty cool. Don't think I'll be getting that one though. I got all of the non-race cars last year and I'll do the same this year. I'm defining race car as one in race spec with sponsor stickers and such. So even though the Camaros are racing, they look like street cars. Plus, I'm just psyched for the American cars.

I'm the opposite, I've been pretty much solely collecting the race cars but I do have the La Ferrari and P1. I'd say some are better than others at representing their real life counterparts.

To me the R8 just doesn't look right at the front I'm afraid. The Phoenix racing R8 is one of my favourite GT3 cars currently out there, I was at the Nurburgring 24 hours in 2014 that this version won so I do have an affinity to it. It's a pretty tough shaped car to capture at this scale though so I do sympathise with Lego's struggle and subsequent decision to use stickers.

I do have really high hopes for the LMP1's, I can't wait to make a Le Mans diorama with the Audi and Porsche doing battle amongst the GT cars.

Does anybody know of a place I could get some custom number stickers done? I'd love to have multiples of the Ferrari GTE, Audi R18 and Porsche 919. I wouldn't mind trying to make an R8 in a United Autosports livery too.

I've just built the R8 and I can't say I like it too much. The large sticker(s) that make up the front lights and grille just looks too out of place and looks strange. This was one of my most anticipated Speed champions sets but in reality it's my least favourite so far.

I can understand that, i havent seen it in the brick yet, but i think the general shape is pretty good, just the front that lets it down with the sticker grill, im kinda wondering if its possible to brick-build a better version

Cant wait for these sets to hit shelves over here

Nice! Thanks J2G.

Do the Vette or Camaros next! (If you have them, that is)

Next is the other Ford set, but those will be after! I actually have 'em! :classic:

I can't say I'm that impressed with the Speed Champions range. I bought a few last year and found them to be well out of proportion and completely overly-reliant on stickers. I de-stickered and customized them extensively, but even then the new wheel arches were still too blocky to build around and the new wheel connections had too much friction which prevented them from rolling freely.

The new range has chosen a nice range of vehicles to model, and they come at a great price point for kids, but they still suffer from all of the same problems mentioned above. They don't compare well with the new 60115 4x4 Off Roader and 60113 Rally Car, the latter of which uses the old style axle connections and wheel arches, looks great stickered or unstickered, and provides a great base for modification. To each his own, but the Speed Champions range is one I will be passing on.

Really? I never had any issue with rolling resistance on any of mine. But I agree on reliance on stickers. All mine were built sticker less, and then lightly modified to add things like headlights. Gives me City folks a few more exotic cars to drive, at least.

Really? I never had any issue with rolling resistance on any of mine. But I agree on reliance on stickers. All mine were built sticker less, and then lightly modified to add things like headlights. Gives me City folks a few more exotic cars to drive, at least.

I don't think it was anything particular to my models, as I had four of them and they all had increased rolling resistance compared to normal city axles and hubs. I've also noticed others online making the same observation. Push a Speed Champions model next to a regular City car and you should see and feel the difference. Still, they were fun to modify, though I've sold mine since. If I make any City-scale racer MOCs they will be with the older hubs and arches. (Henrik Hoexbroe on Flickr has models of this type far superior to anything in the Speed Champions range.) The Speed Champions wheel arches are also much bulkier and harder to build around than the older City ones.

Thanks J2G! good review (small niggle, i dont like how you have the spoiler positioned during the largest part of the video, why not position it properly?)

And Lego, OMG, a multipart sticker? Why? I understand brick-building an R8 front is HARD, but a multipart sticker? :(

Ill buy it regardless though, might see if i can MOD a better grill in there (and at least run an exacto knife through the middle of that sticker)

Thanks J2G! good review (small niggle, i dont like how you have the spoiler positioned during the largest part of the video, why not position it properly?)

And Lego, OMG, a multipart sticker? Why? I understand brick-building an R8 front is HARD, but a multipart sticker? :(

Ill buy it regardless though, might see if i can MOD a better grill in there (and at least run an exacto knife through the middle of that sticker)

Don't worry the sticker is actually in two halves so you won't need to use an exacto knife on it.

Agree about the rear wing, it really bugged me throughout the review too haha.

Just built the Mustang and despite the front headlights being a little strange looking I really like it! I think it captures the source material really well and the colour sceme looks great!

Edited by Brickprawn

As Brickprawn says- the sticker is in two halves thankfully. :classic:

And sorry about the spoiler part. :grin:

In that case, my compliments for your sticker-sticking skills, for making it look so seamless!

And as for the spoiler, all will be forgiven, provided you get it right for the R18 ;)

Don't worry about the spoiler, I appreciate the great reviews!

My partner has just got me the Corvette and R18 from ToysRus here in the UK. Sadly she isn't home until tomorrow night so please feel free to post more reviews!

Edited by Brickprawn

I agree that this theme isn't perfect, but it gives me good bones for modding which is enough for me. I still can't believe I'm getting minifigs with Ford logos on them. I'm im heaven.

I'm wondering what I could do to the Corvette to make it better represent the C7R Le Mans version. I suppose I could add a rear wing and maybe make the front splitter stick out a little more but I could do with some custom stickers. Any ideas?

Edited by Brickprawn

Short of sponsor decals the only major differences are the Large wing replacing the lip spoiler, and the roof being all body color (so don't apply the sticker) minor differences are the silver near the fender vents, and the red mirrors (red is also on the rear wing) and that's basically everything. I know it rides near identical in height, the C7R is slightly wider.

I don't think it was anything particular to my models, as I had four of them and they all had increased rolling resistance compared to normal city axles and hubs. I've also noticed others online making the same observation. Push a Speed Champions model next to a regular City car and you should see and feel the difference. Still, they were fun to modify, though I've sold mine since. If I make any City-scale racer MOCs they will be with the older hubs and arches. (Henrik Hoexbroe on Flickr has models of this type far superior to anything in the Speed Champions range.) The Speed Champions wheel arches are also much bulkier and harder to build around than the older City ones.

You're probably right. I never did any direct comparison.

I agree on how great those City wheels are for sports cars, but I can't deny the Speed Champions wheel 'hub caps' provide a badly needed wheel variety to my vehicles.

I agree on how great those City wheels are for sports cars, but I can't deny the Speed Champions wheel 'hub caps' provide a badly needed wheel variety to my vehicles.

I am in agreement with both you and SpaceMonkey. I've been modifying my cars with the attached picture. this allows me to keep the cars smaller and use the older hubs and arches (the tire is the same as used on Hoexbroe's car) the below pictures show the parts used in the technique, and my viper (first place I used it)

16696121033_cf7c813196_z.jpg

17259103976_310c1622b9_z.jpg

Edited by GallardoLU

I agree that the new rims are nice. It's just a pity that Lego compromised them with worse axles and arches. But as you can see, there are ways of combining the new rims with the older and better parts.

I am in agreement with both you and SpaceMonkey. I've been modifying my cars with the attached picture. this allows me to keep the cars smaller and use the older hubs and arches (the tire is the same as used on Hoexbroe's car) the below pictures show the parts used in the technique, and my viper (first place I used it)

16696121033_cf7c813196_z.jpg

Yes, I've seen similar before from Erol on Flickr. An excellent solution.

17259103976_310c1622b9_z.jpg

Very tidy. I'm not much of a fan of the new windscreens either to be honest, but it works nicely there. I like the side sculpting and hood vents. Very nice.

@Just2Good: I need that model A so i can make a stock version... I want a Model A in real life someday, (I don't drive, but I can dream!) and this Lego version is about as close as I'll probably ever get!

Thanks for the review J2G!

Im surprised by the suspension on the Raptor, and the engine-swap on the model-A is nice as well, even if the second "engine" doesnt particularly look like something id expect in a model-A

I think the Rake on the model-A is over the top though, it is slanted way too far forward, looking at pics of the real thing, any rake is generally the result of the front and rear tires being different sizes, this model also has the front and rear axles offset quite a bit if im seeing it right.

This set will be a pass for me probably, since im not THAT big of a hot-rod/raptor fan, but it is a cool set nonetheless, actually makes me wonder if they could do a seperate sub-theme with simpler cars, that Hot-rod looks small/simple enough that they could sell it for €10 rather then €15 for the main line cars. Just not sure what other cars would fit well, maybe a classic mini cooper rally car?

Thanks for the review Just2good! I wasn't actually bothered at all about this one but after watching that I am tempted. The drag strip light tree looks really good as does the workshop?

What reviews will you be doing next?