now that I have ordered my first ninjago set (70751) I became sort of interested in this theme - hopefully they release similar sets in the future, containing some nice asian buildings without vehicles that is,

Seeing this sneak peek has me a little confused........

The Ninja are wanted by the police ?

How does that tie in with the set names ?

They aren't allowed in the city anymore so they hide in the sky the an Airship. They are attacked by Sky Pirates. Conflict. Macguffins. Profit.

I have no clue. :laugh:

Edited by BrickJagger

They aren't allowed in the city anymore so they hide in the sky the an Airship. They are attacked by Sky Pirates. Conflict. Macguffins. Profit.

Ah, but why ?

I bet the new baddie is that police chief ?

So I guess we'll get him as a minifig, odd-fusion of old police uniform but new style hat. :wink:

He looks like Gary Oldman in Batman Begins, only a bit older. So Batman wants to catch the Ninjas... lol.

I kind of have to disagree there. The "fantasy-era" Castle that ran from 2007 to 2009 is a very different theme from Kingdoms which launched in 2010. The former was heavily fantasy-inspired, with exaggerated shapes to its castles and lots of fantasy races like undead skeletons, trolls, dragons, and dwarves. The latter was much more conventional, with two human factions, realistically-shaped castles. And Knights' Kingdom II, which preceded both those iterations, was radically different from any other Castle theme, with a much more character-driven story. I would call any of those new themes a "radical re-imagining" of the version of LEGO Castle that came before them.

Same basic concept has been present amongst all of them. Replace the 2007 Castle's skellies with humans, and there's basically no difference between it, Kingdoms and the 2013 Castle. Knight's Kingdom I had forgotten about, but the only thing "radical" about the concept was the Jelly Bean knights and the presence of an actual story. Set-wise, not including the constraction figures it was pretty standard.

They wouldn't have to exist in the same world. The events of the movie could potentially be written so they could take place in either world, which doesn't require the two worlds to be one and the same.

You're right, they do not need to exist in the same world. Except that you're wrong on the account of "they could take place in either world". It's been confirmed that the movie will be canon to TLM's world. Do I trust NINJAGO's writing team to avoid merging the lines? Not entirely.

And what's so idiotic about the realms? We already knew the Ninjago universe had more than one realm since the pilot, which had characters crossing over from Ninjago to the Underworld. If you don't include that, we also have the realm of darkness where Wu and Garmadon reunited in the first season. The only thing the latest two seasons have done is enumerated the realms and set up a few other ways to travel between them.

I'd rather not go into detail about it (this is the 2016 thread, after all) but I'll summarize it as this: It devalues the original lore and atmosphere, it opens up the gate for more retcons, it makes the backstory even more confusing and convoluted, it provides a limitless "Get out of jail free card" for retcons and ridiculous moments, and it's already been abused with one-off realms like Chima.

It's the Metru Nui of NINJAGO, some people will like it, but ultimately it's a bad idea. Heck, with what they did with the Cursed Realm you could even argue that Ninjago is inside a giant robot at this point.

Gee, you sure are cynical. I guess I should stop being surprised about that.

That's... not even close to what the word cynical means. Even if my statement was being cynical, what's your point? LEGO is releasing a lot of movies very quickly after one another, and it could easily bomb. There are many high-profile franchises and films made by high-profile actors, directors, writers, producers and companies that have flopped. Perhaps I could have worded it better, but LEGO is either going to win big or lose out on their cinematic universe.

These look like new suits, but don't appear to be pirate-y enough for next wave

https://flic.kr/p/xwdAzW

Edit: second thought theyes look like rehashes of the first wave suits which I lIke...and clouse?

I really much like the looks of this!

Could this mean Clouse shows up as a real villain if this were a sneak peak of the following wave? :laugh:

A part of me is hoping this isn't the actual figures but at the same time another part likes them.... But I hope we get Nya in a smaller set this wave, I wouldn't want her to be a special figure that only appears in the big sets like Lloyd did...

These look like new suits, but don't appear to be pirate-y enough for next wave

https://flic.kr/p/xwdAzW

Edit: second thought theyes look like rehashes of the first wave suits which I lIke...and clouse?

Wait... What is that and where is it from??

In other news, someone has gotten ahold of the retailer's catalogue and he says he will post descriptions throughout the week. (From the "Castle 2016?" Forum)

In other news, someone has gotten ahold of the retailer's catalogue and he says he will post descriptions throughout the week. (From the "Castle 2016?" Forum)

Great! With the description, we may finally know who the ninja will be fighting next year.

Great! With the description, we may finally know who the ninja will be fighting next year.

That, and any set image leaks would be lovely.

From what the Hagemen brothers have said I'm gonna bet Cole.

Yummm... Ninjago sets that have a black base color :wub: :wub:

From what the Hagemen brothers have said I'm gonna bet Cole.

well, I think it's Jay. As every year sneak peek is about that season's main ninja. Edited by NinjaJayNuva

well, I think it's Jay. As every year sneak peek is about that season's main ninja.

True, and the Hagemans have also hinted at Jay and Nya's relationship being explored further during the next season.

I'm not going to make any bets, although I will point out that sometimes the LEGO Group's box art choices have as much to do with helping the sets stand out from other themes as with what the theme's story happens to be. An all-blue banner might be too close to LEGO City, so if the banner were Jay-themed then they might want to work in some sort of gradient like they did in 2013 and the second half of this year.

For all we know the banner could even be Nya-themed. However, I sort of doubt it since she was practically the star of this year's story and yet they didn't put her on the banner. They might be reluctant to give a female character the most prominent spot for a theme that is still, on the whole, being targeted towards boys.

For all we know the banner could even be Nya-themed. However, I sort of doubt it since she was practically the star of this year's story and yet they didn't put her on the banner. They might be reluctant to give a female character the most prominent spot for a theme that is still, on the whole, being targeted towards boys.

This.

Usually I can tell by looking at the largest ninja set of the wave. Such was the case for Rebooted (the NinjaCopter was the largest ninja set), the Ultra Dragon had Lloyd, etc

However, there's no indication as far as I can, although the most expensive three sets don't indicate any ninja.

Edited by legozebra