KirTech LAB

[MOC] Feller-Buncher with Instructions

This is just an incredible model all around. I have never seen anything like it and that's a great thing! I must have it. This would be a crown jewel in my collection.

I’ll add a movie with detailed functions observation soon. I’ve started the digital model creation but I think I won't complete the building instructions because it takes too much time!

Yes, building instructions would take forever, but I'd be happy to work from the digital file once you have it available. I'd also be happy to make some renders for you and some schematic images to show how it works.

I have many thoughts about instructions :) To say the truth I can create instructions, it's not too complex but it takes a lot of time. I want to take part in TC7 contest so the next month I'll be very short of time. The main question is: what kind of receivers should we use? I think it will be ideal to place four of S-bricks for comfortable control but I have only two of them and that's why I can't test it.

That is a tough one. I have recently built Han's dragline excavator, and it is also quite difficult to control and would be much easier with SBrick. On the one hand, it would be great to make a custom SBrick profile that allows all of those functions to be controlled easily. The leveling system in particular could be set up in such a way that the control is very intuitive. On the other hand, your system of multiple channels, batteries, and receiver switching is ingenious and part of what makes this model so charming.

The whole thing would cost a fortune though.... If I am reading right, here is what is needed in Power Functions alone:

• M-motor: 5 ea @ $7.49 = $37.45
  • L- motor: 10 ea @ $13.99 = $139.90
  • Battery Box: 4 ea @ $6.99 = $27.96
  • IR Receiver: 7 ea @ $14.99 = $104.93
  • LiPo Battery: 2 ea @ $49.95 = $99.90
  • LED: 11 ea @ $6.49 = $71.39
  • PF Switch: 6 ea @ $5.79 = $34.74
  • Micro motor: 3 ea @ ~$25 = $75
  • TOTAL PF = $591.27

Note that this doesn't include any extension wires or the transmitters. I am assuming that when you say "accumulator" you are referring to the rechargeable battery box. If you were to switch to SBrick, you could eliminate 7 IR Receivers, 2 battery boxes, 4 switches, and 2 motors. That's a reduction of $157. This approximately pays for 4 SBricks. Since each SBrick has 4 channels, it is possible you could use even fewer. For the battery boxes, you may need to keep all of them just for counterweight.

No matter how you decide to proceed, know that this is one of the best Technic creations ever. With so many motors, I think each function is quite simple mechanically, but the electrical system and the arrangement to produce the final result is genius.

Spectacular! the electrical system and resulting engineering is quite a feat. I really like the leveling design too using the ball sockets. Well done!

Thanks a lot for comments!

2 Blakbird: I'm glad you want to create this model! Your calculation of PF cost is almost right. I'll send you PM not to up this topic with technical messages!

Desert752 and I have spent the last couple of months working on instructions for this monster. After finishing my test build last weekend, the instructions are finally available for free here. Some statistics:

• 334 pages
  • Almost 1000 steps
  • 4510 parts
  • Power functions:
    • 18 motors
      • 10 L motors
      • 5 M motors
      • 3 micro motors

[*]6 Battery boxes

• 4 AA boxes
      • 2 rechargeable boxes

[*]22 lights (11 LED pairs)

[*]7 switches

• 5 PF pole reversers
      • 2 9V pole reversers

[*]7 IR receivers

• 4 V1
      • 3 V2

[*]14 extension wires

• 7 PF short
      • 3 PF long
      • 4 9V

[*]5.5kg without batteries

This is the most electrically intensive model I have ever built. Mechanically, it is not that complicated with many functions being direct-driven by a motor, but electrically it is fascinating given that the number of functions exceeds the number of PF channels.

640x360.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of my build. The first shows the majority of the parts which have been partially sorted. The carrier and the superstructure are built totally independently and attached together with just 2 pins. This is a testament to the excellent balance of the model. Even with so many wires though, everything is pretty organized because there is so much space available.

400x300.jpg400x300.jpg

It is actually very fun just drive around the carrier before the superstructure is even built. because it has its own power supply and receivers, it can operate separately. It would make a great tank platform. With the turntables as sprockets and the double tread rows, it is incredibly stable.

It is hard to describe just how big this thing is, but this might help.

640x328.jpg

Desert752 and I have spent the last couple of months working on instructions for this monster. After finishing my test build last weekend, the instructions are finally available for free here.

Holy...

Just wondering if anyone else has decided to try building this or if I am the only one.

Great moc, but as i don't dismantle my moc's, it's too much money for me.

Absolut phantastic!!!

Sheo, you have a rival! :wink:

Incredible work to create a MOC like this. And many thanks to blakbird for the instructions work. Surely it will be on my build list.....but I've still lots of parts to buy, I don't have much of green ones. Or I'll build it in an alternative color....

Greetings

Alex

Edited by afol1969

Just wondering if anyone else has decided to try building this or if I am the only one.

Although I find the model not that particular appealing cosmetically the number of (electronic) parts is challenging!

I will put it on my to-build list, but not at the top.

First I have to finish Lucio's Tractor Truck (and his Fire Engine?) and Sheo's Terex.

The 'problem' with my to-build list is that sometimes new projects land on top, preventing the projects that are lower on the list of ever being started :blush:

Great moc, but as i don't dismantle my moc's, it's too much money for me.

Incredible work to create a MOC like this. And many thanks to blakbird for the instructions work. Surely it will be on my build list.....but I've still lots of parts to buy, I don't have much of green ones. Or I'll build it in an alternative color....

I will put it on my to-build list, but not at the top.

Since the cost of building it is so exorbitant, I assumed that not many people would do it. However, considering all the work that went into the instructions I am still hoping that at least one person does!

Even this is one impresive MOC. I also tried to do the yellow part (saw) for a set 8043 but I don't know how to make it. Hope that I will receive some answer from your instructions.

Since the cost of building it is so exorbitant, I assumed that not many people would do it. However, considering all the work that went into the instructions I am still hoping that at least one person does!

I am sure that at least one will build it!!! :thumbup::classic:

I am sure that at least one will build it!!! :thumbup::classic:

I'm thinking about to make my own christmas present: Buying the parts to build it......

Greetings

Alex

You see, here you go...!!! :thumbup::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm thinking about to make my own christmas present: Buying the parts to build it......

Great christmas present, that is for sure!!! :thumbup: