Hi,

there's been awful alot of teasing going on here on EB Technic forum, so I'll play the game along :devil: .

Just to TEASE, I'd like to TEASE you with my latest two MOCs: Inferno & Inverno

WARNING: TEASER 1

Inferno%2B%2526%2BInverno_M.jpg

This two workhorses were built for an upcoming truck trial race, held by Slovenian LUG Kocke Klub, Kocke Terenci. They both have some issues, so they might seem more intimidating than they actually are. I have to give credits to Madoca and his fantastic Tatra 813, as the Inverno is heavily inspired by it, especially the rollcage, but only the cross reinforcement on the roof is copied. More on those nags after the competition, 'cause this is just a TEASE remember :tongue: - just kidding, I am actually quite busy these days, so I don't have time for a proper representation, but I am, of course, open for questions...and yes, I'll prepare a video, hopefully on the race.

TEASER 2: The Inferno...

Inferno_M.jpg

...and (TEASER 3) the Inverno (yes, a cargo plane can infact be a truck)

Inverno_M.jpg

Best regards,

Miha

Would it be possible to show Inverno's chassis? ;) (I see that it is Tatra, but no more details ;) ) Looking forward for more details ;))

@LvdH: I pressume that that pieces have to represent the mechanism that can change the pressure in tires without stopping the whole truck.

Edited by Gzzig

@LvdH: I really wouldn'know, I saw it on real trucks and other MOCs and I liked it, so I put them on as well. It looks like a special type of rim cover, but I really have no idea why. But you are right, it is much more fun watching those wheels roll :-)

@Gzzig: Sure. I'll do it ASAP, but at the moment I really haven't got any photo of the Invernos belly. If it makes your waiting any easier I can tell you, that it is a single driveshaft axle driven by 2 hardcoupled PF XL motors downgeared 1:4,632. There is no reduction on the suspension arms which are offset for one stud. Front two axles are steered by PF Servo, the second axle rotates 0.6 the angle of the first axle and there is ackermann geometry, but unfortunately the steering system has too much slack and isn't as reliable as I would like it to be. In addition, both of the trucks have a fake engine inside/below the cabin and working steering wheel...oh, and the Inferno has pendular suspension - the axles are connected by levers so they rotate in opposite directions (inspired by Thirwiggs trucks).

Both look really cool! BTW, I think in real Tatras, the weird things on the outside of the wheels are part of the central tire inflation system (CTI or CTIS).

As promised, some chassis photos of those hot'n'cold badboys...

INFERNO%2B-%2Bquatro1024.jpg

Inverno%2Bchassis_1024.jpg

You can click on photos for higher resolution pics.

Cheers!

Thank you ;)

Does not the first pair of gears after XLs slip sometimes?

edit: heh, slipping ears... :blush:

Edited by Gzzig

@Gzzig: I can't really say, I've only heard grinding when one of the wheels caught a big stone, but didn't pay to much attention from which pair of gears it came from. But yes, I'd say slipping on the first 12/20 bewel gears pair might occur, but so could on all 12/12 pairs on each of the suspension arms, because the torque is higer there than on the starting gears og the drive train.

I just realized you're using 8070's portals with CV joins in the Inverno, no? How is it doing with high torque stress, do CV joins pop up often or rarely?

@miguev: You are right, although my hubs are from 8297. CV joints held up good so far. We have a TT race today so I guess I'll see how it does under real pressure :-) I think popping out is out of the question though, because the CV joint is kinda pushed into the hub by additional half bush on the driving axle and has no slack in transversal direction. I only wish that those tiny "nipples" on the CV joints head survive :-)

Please report back once the race is finished. Oh, and "pics or it never happened!" :laugh:

Sorry Miguev, to keep you waiting for so long, it's been a busy weekend...report you say? I wrote a little something about it on our blog Brickhamster.net There are photos on our LUGs website and FB page, but just to get you going, here are some photos regarding my vehicles...

The Inferno did very well, although the steering mechanism proved way to slow. Also the 1:9 reduction on L motors is a bit to much, but due to slow speed I managed to drive extremely reliable with no penalties on the gates and with only one rolling over. It came out second best and got me a "best technical achievement" award :grin:

kt11-2nd.jpg

The Inverno was a real surprise also. Being the biggest truck on the competrition and the only 8 wheeler, I didn't give him much chance, but it proved me wrong, as it came in fourth. Steering mechanism with the servo motor had quite some issues due to lack of power under the heavy cabin, but I still managed to guide it quite well through a winding racetrack, which was created mainly for 4x4 trial trucks. There was one point on the track where almost all trucks rolled over, well the Inferno lost it's front right tyre :hmpf_bad:

inverno%2Btyre.jpg

Oh, and to answer your question Miguev: The nipples remain strong, firm and perky :-) Not a single problem regarding those CV joints.

One thing I should've known better were those exposed gears at the bottom of the truck - Inverno is not only a trial truck, it is also a spinach blender - the grass got caught in those teeth, so I'll have some brushing to do when I dismantle that one :wacko: Much of the grass is already removed on the photo below. Another thing to improve is to secure those axles in the drive train. You can see them coming out of their holes. And yes, there was some gear grinding in the middle section - tje spinach wasvno help :-)

spinach800px.jpg

To conclude, here is a photo of the whole competition, for more info and photos please check the above provided links.

Best regards, miha

DSCN5903.jpg

P.S.: You can all shoot me in my kneecaps as I don't have a single second of video footage from the race. I totally forgot to put my camera in someones hands at least while I was driving. Still, I do plan to take those two dogs on a walk along a nice riverbank in the near future and present a proper video of their performance.

Edited by MajklSpajkl

Thanks for the write up, and congrats on that 2nd place! Glad to hear nipples survived, I'm sure I'll use them when I get to trial trucks some day...

Enjoy your yummy spinach puree :tongue:

Hi guys,

sorry for bumping this one, but our fellow member metulskie8 was asking me for some sort of instructions for the Inferno and I was keeping him waiting just for too long. Well, today I finally managed to upload the photo sequence here, and leting all of you know in case someone else was also interested.

I warn you that this is not the actual Inferno I published, but is a somewhat a prototype, to which minor changes were made during rebuilding, but I haven't updated the photo sequence. I changed/corrected the colour scheme of the chassis, there are some changes on the body (sides, front grille) and I tried to improve the steering, but no mather how I put it, it is quite too slow and lacks power, so manouverability of this puppy is rather poor. There is also no parts list...

I apologise for the photo quality, but since this was never ment to be a public release I didn't edit them so I hope you undestand. I also don't get it why google reverted the photos order although I did renumber them...

Best regards,

miha

Miha,

I'm interested in second Inverno... :D Can you make video of it? I like it very much... Thanx... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

@MaxSuprcars: I'm sorry but I have to dissapoint you - Inverno is no more. And I didn't take a single frame of video of it - I regret that still. But it was the time of TC7 and Inverno was recycled for the Sandstormer. The Inverno had major issues with steering which had to much play and one servo had trouble with sterring both front axles, another big flaw was open gears on the bottom of the truck - grass got cought between the teeth so the teeth started rattling, not to mention the spinach they produced :-) Don't worry, there will be more trucks to come...

Miha no problem I just wanted to see it... I have build my own Tatra 8x8 with your Idea of independent suspension... The rest made I on my own... own steering etc... Thanx for answer...

Max... :)

Ha ha... I'm to shy to show my models... :D ...because I'm still not satisfied and I'm still improving them... :)

My Tatra 813 8x8 is fully functional, there are some details to-do like openable doors etc... I know that Tatra 813 does not have portal hubs but I wanted higher ground clearance and also to test portal hubs...

20150928_002524_20150928003959517.jpg

20150928_002624_20150928003916280.jpg

20150928_002800_20150928004443070.jpg

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Yeah, MajklSpajkl's right, this TAT deserves it's own topic (although you might be not satisfied - to be satisfied with Lego TATRA is nearly impossible. I know it. :D Are you planning to show the steering mechanism?