Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #134: The Sky Is Falling

ZWRAyXg.png

"I haven't been here "long". Granted, I've been hunting in this place alone for the 22 years of my life, but I had to take a month break from the hunting grounds to check up on some personal matters - my sister had fallen ill. I come back to the forest like this this morning, and, you know the rest...

..Except, you don't know what came those a hundred years ago. Have any of you ever heard of Lethauros?"

Miller speaks grimly, eyes downcast. he seems to hesitate speaking the accursed name, "Lethauros."

Annienal looks worriedly at Miller, seemingly as twitchy as her.

"I'm afraid not. Is something the matter, Miller? If you believe it important, it'd be best to let us know immediately." Annienal asks in a diplomatic manner, trying not to tread too far on personal matters.

Annienal looks worriedly at Miller, seemingly as twitchy as her.

"I'm afraid not. Is something the matter, Miller? If you believe it important, it'd be best to let us know immediately." Annienal asks in a diplomatic manner, trying not to tread too far on personal matters.

ZWRAyXg.png

"It's a personal matter, but... It may very well be your business before long. You see, the hunting guild didn't collapse because of some organizational issue, or something petty like that... No. They went out as they wanted to in, a blaze of glory, their base on the top of the Barrier Mountains laid waste to be the Elder Dragon Lethauros.

...And now, after a hundred years, the dragon may have returned."

ZWRAyXg.png

"Miller. My name is Miller.

When I say Elder, I do not mean a fully grown dragon. I mean this son of a b*tch is so old he's called The Ancestor. He was born before dragons even learned how to breathe fire. No, he... roars. He inhales, and lets loose a roar so loud it'll kill you. My great grandfather received one head on. By the time he received medical help, one of his arms was twisted backwards, his ribcage was smashed, he was deaf in one ear, and he had a concussion. All from it's roar. That's... That's why I started getting uncomfortable after that Direwolf mentioned the loud sounds preceding the killings."

All of their animal followers remain silent, but look clearly nervous, the two direwolves sharing a scared looks.

"Ouch. Sounds painful. Seems like you're lucky to be here, Baker."

Poe lands on Warlen's shoulder, and looks in his ear.

Hjrp1fV.png

<You ever clean these out, caw?>

Elder Wyrm, There is no one here who could trod the path that ends with that beast.

Vindsval looks to the two wolves behind him. It is said that legends live long among the beasts.

Well it worked to gain the allegiance of Poe, who can say that they are not destined to walk by our side as well.

The Half giant turns and kneels in front of the two wolf pups, he removes a potion from his bag along with a scap of leather. He lays it on the ground to form a shallow bowl. That done he empires a portion of the potion into the leather, kneels next to it, and recorks the vial. Once it has been returned to his pouch he extends a hand, palm up to the wolves.

Slyph, translate for me please. Come young hunters, I know you feel the pangs of hunger. Drink from this and feel refreshed. We are to be allies now, I would have us be friends.

When I say Elder, I do not mean a fully grown dragon. I mean this son of a b*tch is so old he's called The Ancestor. He was born before dragons even learned how to breathe fire. No, he... roars. He inhales, and lets loose a roar so loud it'll kill you. My great grandfather received one head on. By the time he received medical help, one of his arms was twisted backwards, his ribcage was smashed, he was deaf in one ear, and he had a concussion. All from it's roar. That's... That's why I started getting uncomfortable after that Direwolf mentioned the loud sounds preceding the killings."

"Um... I'm sorry, did you say dragon?" Annienal begins to look around, clearly panicked at the thought of coming face to face with such a creature. Books couldn't really compare to seeing the real thing when it came to the awe and fear dragons brought. Even reading about them Annienal felt an immense amount of emotion about the creatures.

"I'm... um... cannot comprehend..." Annienal while walking begins writing fervently in her notebook, watching where she's watching so she doesn't fall off.

Slyph, translate for me please. Come young hunters, I know you feel the pangs of hunger. Drink from this and feel refreshed. We are to be allies now, I would have us be friends.

Sylph translated for the Half-Giant.

"Hmm. That is old." Stated Sylph, in reference to the Ranger's tale. "Back when the dragons had yet to master their flaming breath... few still live from that ancient era." Sylph stated, wistfully.... "But you are right. I fear that such an ancient creature would be very difficult to fell... but obviously we must do something. He is warping the natural order of this forest."

The two direwolves eagerly lap up Vindsval's gift, their tummies gladly accepting the meal. They share a knowing glance, and look at Vindsval with more allegiance.

Vw8qaa4.pngqgQkDqp.png

<Aye aye, sir!>

"Um... I'm sorry, did you say dragon?" Annienal begins to look around, clearly panicked at the thought of coming face to face with such a creature. Books couldn't really compare to seeing the real thing when it came to the awe and fear dragons brought. Even reading about them Annienal felt an immense amount of emotion about the creatures.

"I'm... um... cannot comprehend..." Annienal while walking begins writing fervently in her notebook, watching where she's watching so she doesn't fall off.

Miller looks worriedly at Annienal.

ZWRAyXg.png

"Your head alright? What do you not comprehend?"

Sylph translated for the Half-Giant.

"Hmm. That is old." Stated Sylph, in reference to the Ranger's tale. "Back when the dragons had yet to master their flaming breath... few still live from that ancient era." Sylph stated, wistfully.... "But you are right. I fear that such an ancient creature would be very difficult to fell... but obviously we must do something. He is warping the natural order of this forest."

ZWRAyXg.png

"I'd say it's natural. Doesn't mean we have to agree with it."

Vindval places his hand on the head of each wolf in turn.

Ogo, Oro, The memory of the wild is long, and the line of Dire Wolves glorious. Did your father tell you any legends of a great beast in the mountains?

He turns an eye to his friend Poe.

​Poe, Don't get too close to Warlen. The fumes from his drink may strip the color from your feathers.

Edited by Asphalt

Vw8qaa4.png

<Well, one day he told us there were a bunch of hunters here.>

qgQkDqp.png

<And then his grandwolf told him that one day, they all died, the end. No mention of any beastie, but he COULD be responsible...>

Miller winces.

Edited by Endgame

Well my friends, that is as much as we could have known. With you at our side we will certainly be able to destroy what we find at the end of our path. And then, you and all of your pack will feast. This I promise you. Will you fight with us? For more than fear of your father?

Vw8qaa4.png

<Oh, he sent us out with the hope that we'd gith anyway, I bet. Not for you though, just to fix our home. Right now though, they're the same thing...>

Fair enough, Then let us fix your home. And perhaps we will finish the small job we were sent here for as well.

Annienal, are we ready to continue to the Mountain?

Edited by Asphalt

​Poe, Don't get too close to Warlen. The fumes from his drink may strip the color from your feathers.

'Excuse me? I have stayed dry this whole quest, thank you very much. I'm not the one who drunk a mead earlier! Also, what is this 'color' you speak of? Are you too drunk to say 'Colour?' "

"Fenrir and Gram... not certain why that came into my mind. Then again, maybe I am."

He shook himself.

"Sorry, an ancient dragon you say? How did he come to live so long? And why would he be back now?"

Miller looks worriedly at Annienal.

ZWRAyXg.png

"Your head alright? What do you not comprehend?"

Annienal continued to scribble in her book, looking pale and wobbly in the knees. "It's just I never anticipated coming face to face with a dragon, and it's making me both somewhat ecstatic and very, very terrified, and I need to write all of this down, otherwise I'm going to forget... all of the emotions I'm feeling right now, because this is the kind of stuff I need for my book." Annienal more fervently jots things down as she scratches somethings out and rewrites others. Annienal didn't really seem to be watching where she's going, but somehow managed to keep going straight and continued along the trail.

Edited by Kintobor

Unsure whether the dwarf is serious or not.

Books, you may have seen them in the hall. Full of thin sheets of paper with writing on them. They often contain histories, or the thoughts of the writer. Do they not have such things where you are from?

"Book? What book is this?"

"My notebook." Annienal replies, still jotting away.

ZWRAyXg.png

"We'll be passing through a cave shortly. We pass through that, and we pop up right on top of the Barrier Mountains... the shortest peak, anyway. From there, the Hunting Guild's old fortress, Castle Glades, is only a hair away. And if it really is Lethauros making he grand re-debut, well... That's where he would be. Scaly bastards love their decrepit old castles."

The party comes up to the mouth of the cave Miller described, forging inside. A brief time passes, before they find themselves face to face with another group...

97saPCv.png

Savato, and Sylvania's thorn.

A small encampment is behind them. Their ornery leader stands in front, stoic, holding a chain attached to the bound wrists of a young woman.

LtzYYpc.png

"I was under the impression the fungi would be decomposing your remains by now. It appears I was blatantly wrong."

QNadKNB.png

"Whoever you are, plea-!!"

Savato cruelly kicks the woman in the stomach, knocking the wind out of her, sending her to her knees. She gasps and pants.

LtzYYpc.png

"Be quiet. You are very belligerent, for someone who is going to receive a great honor!"

A cult, a young woman, and a great honor. By the realms, this Savato is certainly a cliche. He could be straight from a fairy tale the townspeople tell their younglings.

Vindsval glances at the party. Shall we play along and show him the end of his story?

LtzYYpc.png

"With a dragon in a castle to complete the set. No point in denying it. This is rather like a fairy tale, but there's going to be one crucial difference.... I'll leave it to your imagination!"

Edited by Endgame