Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #134: The Sky Is Falling

Another poof and Warlens face was clean. He tossed her Cole's weapon.

"Here, you can borrow this. I'm sure it'll be useful, oh Annie our most sacred and holy part leader of the order imperial and all that is holy, good and right and stuff like that, etc, etc."

He grinned at the boy. "Don't worry, kid. I'll bring you back a chunk of whatever it is. On one condition!"

"What?"

"That you do not use it for...

EVIL!!!"

Greetings Throlar It is long since we first spoke. It would seem we are to trod the same path after all.

"Indeed, and it's nice to see you again as well, and the same goes for Annie."

"I can be party leader... if no one else wishes to, that is."

"Fine with me."

x4ecLhL.png

"They were taking the same path I was gonna point you towards." *says Manny, gesturing towards the trodden dirt road with one hand.* "They were all dressed in the same white uniform and were talking about stuff I couldn't understand. They were talking about a gift. Whether they were giving one or getting one, I dunno.

"Oh goodie."

EVIL!!!"

Throlar face palmed at the over-the-top way his companion spoke. Edited by Lord Duvors

Glancing at Throlar, Warlen grinned. "Hey, facepalming dwarf! How's about you give that Elven shield to Annienal. Then us elves can stay alive longer! Then, you take this plasma shield. Sound good, Grumpy Dwarf?"

Edited by The Chosen Minifigure

Warlen shrugged.

"Sure. How's about you give that Elven shield to Annienal. Then us elves can stay alive longer! Then, you take this plasma shield. Sound good, Grumpy Dwarf?"

(I'm sorry, but I edited my post, Throlar isn't asking for the shield anymore.)

"Well... um, I guess I'm party leader then." Annienal replies to the group as everyone admits to their approval of her as party leader. She hoped she could keep her nerves together.

"Here, you can borrow this. I'm sure it'll be useful, oh Annie our most sacred and holy part leader of the order imperial and all that is holy, good and right and stuff like that, etc, etc."

Annienal flinches as the weapon lands at her feet, the knight squeaking a small shriek.

"Um... please don't toss weapons at me, Warlen. I'd... um... also prefer not to be put on a pedestal... please...

If we're um... already to head out, let's do so, please."

He grinned at the boy. "Don't worry, kid. I'll bring you back a chunk of whatever it is. On one condition!"

"What?"

EVIL!!!"

Vindsval winces at the utter nonsense spewing from the mouth of the mage. His drunken murmurings were one thing but this is all together a different matter. Is he trying to impress or draw derision?

Control yourself Warlen, you act the fool.

He looks down at the Boy, his employer.

No young One, Where is this trail we are to follow?

Edited by Asphalt

"Well... um, I guess I'm party leader then." Annienal replies to the group as everyone admits to their approval of her as party leader. She hoped she could keep her nerves together.

"Good." Grumbled Sylph in a deep baritone. "Then it is decided."

Sylph slowly began moving towards the well trodden path to which the boy had directed them. He lingered for the party to follow.

"Indeed"

Vindsval adjusts the lay of his cloak and follows Slyph down the path.

Glancing at Throlar, Warlen grinned. "Hey, facepalming dwarf! How's about you give that Elven shield to Annienal. Then us elves can stay alive longer! Then, you take this plasma shield. Sound good, Grumpy Dwarf?"

"Errr, I'll have to say no, lightning absorption or not it's defensively inferior to my shield, and I have some... very personal reasons to hang on to it."

Vindsval winces at the utter nonsense spewing from the mouth of the mage. His drunken murmurings were one thing but this is all together a different matter. Is he trying to impress or draw derision?

Control yourself Warlen, you act the fool.

"I do act the fool." Warlen paused for emphasis. "But do I really act the fool?"

"I do act the fool." Warlen paused for emphasis. "But do I really act the fool?"

x4ecLhL.png

"...If you keep talking like that, yeah.

Well, if you folks or good to go, thanks, and good luck! Just following this trail should take you to the Barrier Mountains. After that, though, you're going to need to do some searching of your own."

The party sets off, walking along the trail. Here, Uland was far more quiet, with only the sounds of birds chirping and footsteps disturbing the silence. They look to the farmland, expecting the crops being ready for harvest...

zQHgG42.png

But it was all barren, the crops seemingly plucked out prematurely... How'd that happen?

Eventually, they come to the edge of the forest.

CaSxr60.png

A group of animals - snakes, birds, and wild dogs - approach the pair of frantic travelers. They backpedal, gasping, apparently having already fled from the beasts for some time.

yvAMBwz.png

"Help, help, please!"

iF493YV.png

"This... A Ulandian Azurefang and Limefeather Sparrow attacking humans? This is unprecedented!" says, the woman, sounding more surprised and curious than actually scared.

Sylph sensed something wrong as soon as they started down the path, for the local birds sang of removed crops, and the wind lacked the tang of farmland growth it usually carried. When Sylph saw the prematurely harvested plant-life, he breathed a heavy sigh. "What happened here?" He muttered to himself. "could this have to do with the fallen star?"

They carried on and soon came upon a bizarre scene, which Sylph quickly assessed. A pair of humans were being chased by... a group of unrelated children of nature!? Ignoring the humans, Sylph rushed to the animal assailants, and words gushed from his mask's mouthholes in the primal language of the beasts . His tone was inquisitive and calming, as he spoke with the animals.

"What is the matter, Children of Sylvania, Why do you gather in this way, and chase these people?"

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Vindsval takes in the scene. Two people identical white uniforms, one running in abject terror the other, oddly drawn to the creatures with no apparent sense of fear.

"Scholars." He almost sighs the entire word.

Seeing slyph direct his attention to the creatures, The half-Giant strides ahead of the party and pushes himself into place between the White uniformed strangers and the trailing beasts.

"May I be of assistance? He asks them.

Edited by Asphalt

Sylph sensed something wrong as soon as they started down the path, for the local birds sang of removed crops, and the wind lacked the tang of farmland growth it usually carried. When Sylph saw the prematurely harvested plant-life, he breathed a heavy sigh. "What happened here?" He muttered to himself. "could this have to do with the fallen star?"

They carried on and soon came upon a bizarre scene, which Sylph quickly assessed. A pair of humans were being chased by... a group of unrelated children of nature!? Ignoring the humans, Sylph rushed to the animal assailants, and words gushed from his mask's mouthholes in the primal language of the beasts . His tone was inquisitive and calming, as he spoke with the animals.

"What is the matter, Children of Sylvania, Why do you gather in this way, and chase these people?"

WGYUvNT.png

<We must feed!>

Hjrp1fV.png

<And we gotta flee, caw!>

drPuEDV.png

<And doing this fulfills both... Assuming the direwolves left us any, we'll have some crops for desert, too.>

"May I be of assistance? He asks them.

yvAMBwz.png

"Yes- y-yes, please! They must've already chased us down a fourth of a mile... I don't know what made them act this way, but they're set in their new ways, it seems..."

Edited by Endgame

WGYUvNT.png

<We must feed!>

Hjrp1fV.png

<And we gotta flee, caw!>

drPuEDV.png

<And doing this fulfills both... Assuming the direwolves left us any, we'll have some crops for desert, too.>

"You mean to eat these humans then? From whom/what are you fleeing? Are you saying that the Direwolves removed the crops from the fields?"

Sylph queried, patient, but worried. This behavior was totally unlike these animals... something nefarious was afoot.

WGYUvNT.png

<If that is what it takes, then yes.>

drPuEDV.png

<The direwolves, the bears... Everything bigger than us is frenzied! They've all gone mad. We're being driven out by them, they're being driven out by SOMETHING, and they have the audacity to head out and loot the cornfields! Everything is eating everything and running away from something, and we're no different!>

Hjrp1fV.png

<Well, I have wings... I'm just in it for the food, caw...>

Throlar, utterly uninterested in the tweeting noises that the weird druid was making, grabbed the female scholar by the back of her shirt and pulled her away.

"Currently, I'd say that the fact that these animals have never attacked anyone before is less important than the fact that they're attacking you, now."

He drew his Mopagsaber.

"Now I'd recommend getting to a safe distance, preferably before you get torn to peaces by rampaging wildlife."

Annienal steps back from the raging animals, fumbling to pull her sword out.

"Um, my diplomacy is no good if I'm talking to something that doesn't understand common." Annienal beckons out to the man in white garbs, being as diplomatic as she can.

"Sir, get behind me, please."

"More Creatures of the Forest. Do you get the feeling that This forest Spirit Slyph speaks of may bear us a grudge Annienal?

WGYUvNT.png

<If that is what it takes, then yes.>

drPuEDV.png

<The direwolves, the bears... Everything bigger than us is frenzied! They've all gone mad. We're being driven out by them, they're being driven out by SOMETHING, and they have the audacity to head out and loot the cornfields! Everything is eating everything and running away from something, and we're no different!>

Hjrp1fV.png

<Well, I have wings... I'm just in it for the food, caw...>

"I see." Stated Sylph, sympathetically. "Fear not, then, noble denizens of the forest. Our crew is here to set right what has gone wrong in the woods!" Sylph vowed, "Where can we find these direwolves and bears, that I might find out what has them spooked?" Sylph hoped his placating tone would help keep the animals calm, and that they would not be incensed to attack

Sylph was concerned now. What could possibly be scaring the apex predators of this forest into such drastic behavior?

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Throlar, utterly uninterested in the tweeting noises that the weird druid was making, grabbed the female scholar by the back of her shirt and pulled her away.

"Currently, I'd say that the fact that these animals have never attacked anyone before is less important than the fact that they're attacking you, now."

He drew his Mopagsaber.

"Now I'd recommend getting to a safe distance, preferably before you get torn to peaces by rampaging wildlife."

yvAMBwz.png

"I'd do what the nice man with the icy sword says, Maria...!"

iF493YV.png

"Oh, fine, fine..." Maria tears her eyes off of the fascinating specimens and run behinds Throlar.

Annienal steps back from the raging animals, fumbling to pull her sword out.

"Um, my diplomacy is no good if I'm talking to something that doesn't understand common." Annienal beckons out to the man in white garbs, being as diplomatic as she can.

"Sir, get behind me, please."

yvAMBwz.png

"Way ahead of you, miss!" says the frenzied scholar, running behind Annie as the mob is held at bay by the druid.

"I see." Stated Sylph, sympathetically. "Fear not, then, noble denizens of the forest. Our crew is here to set right what has gone wrong in the woods!" Sylph vowed, "Where can we find these direwolves and bears, that I might find out what has them spooked?" Sylph hoped his placating tone would help keep the animals calm, and that they would not be incensed to attack

Sylph was concerned now. What could possibly be scaring the apex predators of this forest into such drastic behavior?

WGYUvNT.png

<Some have fled, and may be bleeding into the city soon. Others.. near the mountains, clinging onto their territory amidst the madness.>

drPuEDV.png

<Those bookworm folk are our only potential meal. We have no intention of stopping our hunt, druid. Please, allow nature to take it's course - we're starving!>

Hjrp1fV.png

<I'm not strictly a meat eater like the others, caw... If you can find me and the other birds some grub to eat, we'll gladly find a safe tree to perch on and stop bothering folks...>

WGYUvNT.png

<Traitor!> hisses the snake vehemently.

If the party could provide the Birds of Prey with 70 HP worth of consumables, they would leave the scholars alone.

Edited by Endgame

WGYUvNT.png

<Some have fled, and may be bleeding into the city soon. Others.. near the mountains, clinging onto their territory amidst the madness.>

drPuEDV.png

<Those bookworm folk are our only potential meal. We have no intention of stopping our hunt, druid. Please, allow nature to take it's course - we're starving!>

Hjrp1fV.png

<I'm not strictly a meat eater like the others, caw... If you can find me and the other birds some grub to eat, we'll gladly find a safe tree to perch on and stop bothering folks...>

WGYUvNT.png

<Traitor!> hisses the snake vehemently.

If the party could provide the Birds of Prey with 70 HP worth of consumables, they would leave the scholars alone.

Sylph gazed upon the wild mob, saddened. All too often, in the process of restoring order to the world was he forced to fight that which he swore to protect. Nature could not be reasoned with. It was a primal force. These animals were responding to unnatural stimuli the only way they knew how. Could he blame them for their poor choice of target, considering everything? No. Would he need to keep the scholars alive to get to the bottom of this horrid situation? Yes. For now, at least.

"Thank you for your information, dwellers of the forest. I understand you will not hear my urgings for patience. Hunger does not wait for those who hunt. I understand that you feel these humans are your only source of food. This said, you have chosen poorly. If you strike at the scholars, my companions will strike back, and I will be forced to join them. I do not take pleasure in this, but I will fight you if you do not flee. That is how nature works. The strong survive." Stated Sylph solemnly. "Birds, I will ask my companions if your offer will be met."

Sylph turned back to face the party and their new tagalongs.

"Something unnatural is afoot. Unfortunately, these animals are starving and intend to eat the humans in white. They have been pushed from their natural homes by Direwolves, who, in turn were pushed by something else. The birds have offered neutrality in the coming fight in exchange for rations... what say you?"

Vindsval continued to keep a defensive position and posture between the beats and the scholars as Slyph concluded his conference. Though he watched his father communicate with the creatures of nature and the beasts of the fields his entire childhood it still amazes him that there any any that can understand the nonsensical sounds, let alone use them to be understood in turn. Hearing that despite his treaties for peace the animals still wish to eat the two people behind him does nothing to relax his posture.

Rations you say? Though this smacks strongly of the extortion of the highwaymen whom we recently defeated, I will play along. Tell your bird friends i would offer them two potions (20HP worth) in exchange not for their neutrality, but for their aid. If they aid us their bellies would be more than filled, and they would have no need to fear going hungry in the future.

With reticence, still not pleased with idea of paying to pass, the Witch pulls two Potions and a Mead from his traveling pouches. He Drinks the Mead and offers the Two Potions up as food for the birds.

Edited by Asphalt