Sign in to follow this  
Endriu

Flowerheads or bracelets

On my quest to find some affordable lego sets that contain lots of foliage I came across the lego creator sping set. - I bought myself a couple of those :) (gonna make a nice cherry tree!)

What made me wonder were the bracelets (upper parts) that were used as flowerheads in this set. I have also seen those on that amazing medival village tutorial.

It may sound a little bit stupid, but which ones do you prefer as flowerheads? Does it make sense to have both kinds mixed together?

Right now I am leaning towards those bracelets, to me they look a little bit more lego-like...

Yea I'm also wondering what set you are referring to. The 1x1 round flower piece is more flexible in how it can be used than the traditional flower head, but I have plenty of the old kind as well. Both have their uses.

I believe Endriu is referring to the 40052 "Springtime Scene" ploy bag: http://brickset.com/sets/40052-1

Definitely a nice little set at $7.99US (and 40057 for Fall was nice, too!). The seasonal sets have been getting much better in general over the past few years, but I do wish they had more of these scenes than the cute brick-built animals they keep churning out. :wink:

Anyway, I'm with the other folks thus far: The 1x1 flower heads are more versatile in general, but I think mixing them is the way to go for most scenes. There are so many creative things you can do with both types- definitely worth some time investigating different methods. One of my favorites is to take the (color-matched) base of a lever (part 4592) and attach it to either the stud-side of a traditional flowerhead or a 1x1 and then put it inverted-lever-base-down on a flower stem to make tulips. :sweet:

That is a neat little set, but unless you want multiples of those figures bricklink will be cheaper for accumulating foliage.

I believe Endriu is referring to the 40052 "Springtime Scene" ploy bag: http://brickset.com/sets/40052-1

Definitely a nice little set at $7.99US (and 40057 for Fall was nice, too!). The seasonal sets have been getting much better in general over the past few years, but I do wish they had more of these scenes than the cute brick-built animals they keep churning out. :wink:

Anyway, I'm with the other folks thus far: The 1x1 flower heads are more versatile in general, but I think mixing them is the way to go for most scenes. There are so many creative things you can do with both types- definitely worth some time investigating different methods. One of my favorites is to take the (color-matched) base of a lever (part 4592) and attach it to either the stud-side of a traditional flowerhead or a 1x1 and then put it inverted-lever-base-down on a flower stem to make tulips. :sweet:

Thats the one I was referring, too! Its quite good! (bought it a couple of times :) - will make for some nice cherry trees (I hope)

That is a neat little set, but unless you want multiples of those figures bricklink will be cheaper for accumulating foliage.

Definitely true! - I have place a pab-order today :) - it would be pointless otherwise

As far as this springset is concerned, its actually quite useful. Of course, accumulating those minifigures is quite forgettable, especially now that I am seeking some historic mediecal context. However, that set has a lot of value actually, besides 4 big leafes, three stalks, and one of those flower things (dont know whats it called). It has 20 of those braceletts (16 purple, 4 yellow), AND (and that turned out most interesting to me!) it has 9 cherries!!! adding cherry trees will enrich any moc IMHO :). it also got some fences (three) - I doubt they will be useful for the medieval setting, though. Parts for a water fountain might come in handy on the other hand.

It has three of those bows that you can use for making trees - the fall set has actually six of them but IMHO its not as good because it doesnt really come with anything else that I would consider useful - its based around fall so it comes with lots of 'leaves' - its just not my bag!

Edited by Endriu

I was just going to ask what bracelets were. Does anyone know if these could actually be used as bracelets on a minifig? I also find the "upper" part of the name to be strange, where is the "lower"?

Thanks for the info. It does make more sense now. I don't know if I would mix the same type on the same stalk. I did try putting these on the top of the traditional flower piece but am two minded about that still. However both work well as flowers on their own.

Thanks for the info. It does make more sense now. I don't know if I would mix the same type on the same stalk. I did try putting these on the top of the traditional flower piece but am two minded about that still. However both work well as flowers on their own.