1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

All right,

My local Fred Meyer has (finally) gotten the new themes, so I managed to snag a set, Hydraxon. While going home, I decided to do a review, because 1, I have never done one before and 2, I am finally happy with my picture taking methods! :'-)

Here's the reveiw (Part 1)

The box:

I don't have any pictures of the box, because I forgot to put the memory card in, so of course the pictures save to the internal memory, and I have no idea how to get them to the computer. :-$ Anyway, I'm fairly impressed with the box. The front shows a picture of Hydraxon with his arm raised, firing his Cordak. The back shows Hydraxon again, a close-up of his hands, Mahri Nui, and the other titans Warriors.

The parts:

Hydraxon has a fair amount of new parts. So, even if you don't like the set, you can still buy it for the MOCing potential. Here are all the new and recolored peices I could see:

hydraxon_review_003.jpg

There's his Cordak, Two Hewkii blades, two Matoro scythes, a silver Pridak blade, a silver Kalmah thigh peice, Two short blades, two of the new tubes, his mask, eight (not including extra) Viking horns, and six gunmetal grey exo-force robot arms.

hydraxon_review_004.jpg

His mask is better than I thought. I originally thought it would just be a boring silver mask with a breather and two boring eye slits. However, I was wrong. The eye slits have some depth to them, and that makes the mask so much better.

hydraxon_review_001.jpg

There are three bags labeled 1, 2, and 3. And yes, it is sectioned- why I don't know, because it's only a twenty dollar set. :-/ But I suppose it was slightly helpful...

The build

Hydraxon has a very simple body. His bare skeleton looks very similar to the 2006 toa, and doesn't look as promising as Maxilos does in the early build.

hydraxon_review_005.jpg

A few steps later, he looks a little more promising. When I first saw this step, I thought it was hilarious. The tubes that go around his torso are at first only connected to the front. He looks a bit like he has wings. :-D

hydraxon_review_042.jpg

Then, the tubes wrap around the front to connect into a a part in the back.

hydraxon_review_006.jpg

Then, something interesting happens. The tubes that connect to his mask bend away from his body and attach to the back. At first I was a bit worried about how this might turn out, but it adds some depth to the completed set.

hydraxon_review_008.jpg

And then, the Piraka foot attaches. People complained that the foot wouldn't work, but I think it works just fine.

hydraxon_review_009.jpg

Next in the build come the legs. The leg itself is relatively simple, but I still don't understand the logic of putting this part on the leg. Anyway, the leg itself doesn't have much of interest, but it looks okay.

hydraxon_review_015.jpg

The legs do look a little long without the arms when attached to the body, but they look fine later. They are also relatively sturdy.

hydraxon_review_017.jpg

The hands are probably the most innovative building in this set. They were different than I thought they would look like, but they look great, and they don't make the arms droop, like Axonn.

hydraxon_review_024.jpg

The arm itself is simple and light. It looks good, and allows the arm to support the weight of the weapons.

hydraxon_review_025.jpg

Because of the foot attached to his arm, he looks very powerful. Looks like he's been working out...

hydraxon_review_028.jpg

The completed body:

hydraxon_review_029.jpg

The weapons look good. On his left arm, he has a beautiful triple-blade thing. Anyway:

hydraxon_review_031.jpg

On his right, he has a Cordak blaster. Since we all know what it looks like, I won't post a picture.

Hello, Mr. Kalmah... I'm sorry, but you must be punished for escaping your cell...

hydraxon_review_032.jpg

Completed

Owing to his light arms, Hydraxon is a pretty stable guy. His arms don't flop, and he's pretty flexible. He can get in some good poses, too.

hydraxon_review_036.jpg

hydraxon_review_033.jpg

A gunfight with the outdated Squid launcher. "Haha! Your's can't shoot! Mine kicks a**!

hydraxon_review_035.jpg

The front:

hydraxon_review_040.jpg

The back:

hydraxon_review_041.jpg

Comments:

All in all, I thought Hydraxon was pretty sweet. He has a well rounded build, and the only design flaw I can think of is that his shoulder armor wobbles a little, and only when you poke it. Also, he looks dangerous- Not only is he buff, but he has all the weapons. He just gives the impression that you wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley, Whereas the Toa inika were skinny and had a hi-meet-me-in-a-dark-alley-and-mug-me type look. His color scheme was great, though the red of the Cordak looked a bit ugly, especially in the back. The blue connector rods didn't spoil his look much, and I think that it might actually look nice. :-$

A good set, I'm going to have to give it an 8.5/10. *y*

The Gallery. (When available)

Edited by 3D Brickthing
Indexed, title standardized, poll added

That's it! Now I'm gonna have to get it!! I just love those leg design with the pump thingy on the back... And the posability, too... could be useful...

great review... and good pics, too... They show really well all the details, good and bad...

Thank you Mr. Mandalorian for this very good review! *y*

A very cool set indeed, I really like his claw hands and blades. :'-)

I think I understand why they put that blue peg in the lower leg... I may be wrong but it seems that it prevents from bending the leg too far forward and thus releasing the axle from its tube in the pneumatic-looking thing on the back...

Just a thought, though, since I don't have the set and don't have anything to test my theory...

Gosh, the more I see it, the more I want it!

You're probably right, but it seems such an uncompleted job. They should have put another part on it.

Thanks for the kind replies, everyone, and you'll be getting your $20 I just cost you in the mail. :-P

Just a question: In Pridak's Shark Tooth Blades, the white part is made of plastic, while the red part is rubbery. What about the silver version in Hydraxon (and Lesovikk)? Is it completely made of plastic, or is it partially rubbery?

Shakar

*Goes upstairs and pokes Hydraxon*

The part is the same. Where the white part would be is hard plastic, and where the red part would be is rubbery. Just a different paint.

i like the detailed torso and the mask. before, i didnt like it but now i do *y*

The hands are probably the most innovative building in this set

Bah. They're not innovative when MOCists did it first more than a year ago.

But other than that, I do like this set. The mask is far more awesome than I thought it would be, and for that alone I like the set.

<<DV>>

It's innovative for TLC, not MOCists. :-P As for the mask, I almost didn't buy it because of it. I thought he would look "bald", but it's really a great mask.

Zaktan of the Shadows

Thanks! I haven't seen you anywhere where I've been posting, but now you're a Count! Congrats!