Kuat Drive Yards

[SoNE Freebuild 8.1] Another Day in the Dunes

16268443703_f0e6c37a05_z.jpgSoNE-EpVIII-Frbld1-Pic1 by kuatdriveyards17, on Flickr

Pilot Kappa Seven of Delta Wing (that is, the wing stationed on ISD Avenger) of Ypsilon Legion. I'm a fresh recruit, which is why I'm piloting some cheap Bantha-class skiff instead of shooting down rebels in a TIE.

16681110167_60f6a5766f_z.jpgSoNE-EpVIII-Frbld1-Pic2 by kuatdriveyards17, on Flickr

Apparently there's some important near-planet-wide operation underway on Tatooine which no one cared to brief me about, so forces are being constantly deployed to numerous distant outposts.

16266060524_ca1086f44a_z.jpgSoNE-EpVIII-Frbld1-Pic3 by kuatdriveyards17, on Flickr

After a long, dreary ride we finally arrive at the comm post. It's not much and it is by no means self-sufficient- the only permanent structures are a comm tower, a defensive turret and a holotable- which is why troops and supplies must be brought every morning and returned to base by night.

16888452705_1eae7a7398_z.jpgSoNE-EpVIII-Frbld1-Pic4 by kuatdriveyards17, on Flickr

We all work to unload the cargo and set everything up.

16701044610_c6d04fa764_z.jpgSoNE-EpVIII-Frbld1-Pic5 by kuatdriveyards17, on Flickr

Naturally it isn't long after the work is done till we pull out the sabacc deck.

Hopefully it won't be long until we actually get involved in this massively important operation that way I can actually feel like I'm making a difference as opposed to just ensuring the Empire can communicate more efficiently over a few square kilometers of sand.

UPDATE: Here's an unedited pic of the whole build, as MKJoshA requested.

16939548102_2439b99144_z.jpgSoNE-EpVIII-FrbldI-Pic6 by kuatdriveyards17, on Flickr

Please have this judged.

Edited by Kuat Drive Yards

Nice build! I like the skiff since it looks like a desert skiff in Imperial colors. The platform looks nice, and I love the bit at the end about communicating over the sand. I can't wait to see more from you!

Your photoshopping adds a cool element to your build. I think I would like to see a picture of just the builds by themselves too though. I also question a sabacc table taking up most of your landing area, but hey, that's the Empire for you right? :grin: Overall, some nice little builds. I think for improvement you would just want to add more details. Everything is recognizable, but that's about where it ends. I would try to add some more "wow" build factors.

Your photoshopping adds a cool element to your build. I think I would like to see a picture of just the builds by themselves too though. I also question a sabacc table taking up most of your landing area, but hey, that's the Empire for you right? :grin: Overall, some nice little builds. I think for improvement you would just want to add more details. Everything is recognizable, but that's about where it ends. I would try to add some more "wow" build factors.

Thanks for commenting! I wasn't planning on making anything too exciting for this build- the next one will be a lot more interesting. This one was pretty much to introduce my character; in the next build the outpost will be bigger and their will be more stuff going on (to show that the operation is getting more intense.)

And I added a line clarifying the use of the "sabacc table" :grin: (and the plating wasn't a landing pad- just a platform for the grunts.)

I like your (new) last picture best. The lighting on the first few was way too harsh and I don't think the background worked out well. The problem might be the angles of the shots versus the background; because they differ I think it is disorienting.

The actual build is good. You made good use of your parts and kept it simple yet complete. The only issue I have is with the top front of your skiff. You could have used some SNOTing techniques to smooth out the dbg and I think it would have worked much better.

Looking forward to seeing more.