Sign in to follow this  
Legoboy22

4.5 volt trains

Hello everyone, i just unearthed some old 4.5 vilt trains from storage. Now I am not so sure what to build with them so could you please show some of your creations with 4.5 volt trains? One more thing is do 4.5 volt trains run on pf track as well as 4.5 volt track? Thx.

4.5V motors take DC from the battery, not rails, just like the new PF systems, so they can use any rail, 4.5v era, 12v era, 9v era, PF.

The series 'my own train' from the early 90s is probably a good starting point -- shorter and hence lighter wagons with a 0-4-0 steam locomotive that doesn't strain the 4.5v motor.

strain the 4.5v motor? your kidding right? ive had 4.5vs rip the rails out from under themselves and separate magnetic couplers, im not sure you can overload them without reaching the limits of the couplers first. they may be slow but dont let that fool you, these things have more raw torque than any other train motor you can find. they will run on any track, just like pf/rc. my 4.5s are really nothing special, i have a 7722 with a MOC tender (didnt care for the box car batt box) and 1119 service pack rods, and a 112 that i converted to blue era magnetic couplers.

EDIT:

- good example of 4.5v power Edited by rsb0204

4.5v motors depending on which one you have are incredibly strong the first ones you could use for anything and most big models came with a quick how to on converting it to have a motor. they could have gears in them also just normal wheels. I have the 7722 which works like a charm but i also have the Pat. Pending era motor that runs not so smoothly and with that one i built a quick engine only using that era's bricks so limited colors and shapes.

My suggestion is seeing if you want to make it maybe either a shunter or just a heavy hauler type train as it can really pull rakes upon rakes of carriages.

Enjoy your Torque demon!

-RailCo

And not only that, since they were intended to last a decent time on 1960's batteries, on the modern equivalents they just go on ever - even when hauling ridiculously long trains! You just cant hold these motors back!

wow, I was so wrong! Sorry.. last time I played with a 4.5v it was almost three decades ago.

But I know where to find mine... it's a few thousand miles away, but after reading the last few posts, I think it's gonna be worth bringing it over in a few months. I always learn something new on eurobricks :)