Sign in to follow this  
mutex

Mars mission MX-71 Dropship

indexed.gif

Got this baby via shop@home a little early and I though it was time to post my view of this set :

(Snefroe you NEED to get this one ;-) )

Sorry for the lack of pics but there are already many pics online of this baby

So here it is :

Best space set since... a way too long time

This is my first new space themed set since more than 20 years and I must say that I’m not disappointed at all. I have much to say about this little gem.

First, let’s cut it straight about the Martians minifigures: they are absolutely rubbish. I can’t imagine how Lego could produce such atrocity.

This said; let’s move on to the dropship. A real piece of art. Reminiscent of the Aliens movie dropship. The cockpit is spacious and provides a great field of view, too bad there is no hinges to open it, you must remove the canopy completely to switch pilot.

The drilling unit can be attached under the ship with the clever use of a rubber piece. It stays well in place once attached, good point.

Some people don’t like the inclusion of the 2 containment area for the Martians and crystal on both side of the ship but I kind like it, it makes the ship less empty.

The 2 wings are complete with air intake, some armaments and 1 standard launcher on the right wing. Normally I don’t like launchers but this one is very discrete and well integrated.

On the tail section are 2 thrusters that can be rotated and provide thus some “realistic” movements to the ship.

One of the last highlight of this ship is the landing gears, or I must say landing dishes. 6 medium sized radar dishes provide and incredible stability to the set. They are quite sturdy and can take a beating.

I’m not going to review the alien spaceship in detail since it’s quite uninteresting. I consider it more like a bonus addition to the set than anything else. The look is passable and there are some interesting building techniques in it. That’s all.

To end the review, a little pros/cons table. (We all love pros/cons table :-) )

Pros:

- Incredible design

- At last a decent space set

- Modular functions

- Quite Sturdy

- Beautiful

- Great value for money

Cons:

- Martians are rubbish

- No hinges for the canopy

- The drilling unit could use some more details.

Score: 9/10

By the way , I added a nice cool feature on my site , you can download the stickers for some sets that I own.

Before building I always scan the stickers, we never know it could come handy.

check this out on my site (you need to go in the Lego lists on the left):

[VTX] Classic games

By the way , I added a nice cool feature on my site , you can download the stickers for some sets that I own.

Before building I always scan the stickers, we never know it could come handy.

check this out on my site (you need to go in the Lego lists on the left):

[VTX] Classic games

That

Great review, I must admit I didn't like MM at first site, but seeing this review and looking at the MM boxes at stores appeal to me rather greatly, I may get a couple of these sets, great job! *y* :-)

I've got it also, but i think i'll replace the ball joint pieces with the kind of pieces that give the wings their angle.

great review *sweet*

maybe i will buy this one... but not this month... buying lego in billund has left me totally broke :-X :-$

i like the dropship kit and got this. Now that I built it I see so many things I can do to tweak it to make it a MOC. I think this is a set everyone MM fan should get.

The dropships looks neat, and your review is good.

It isn't my theme, but it clearly is a fantastic set for the space lovers under us.

Mars Mission is really a good step in the right direction for TLC.