brickdad46

Extending Santa's Workshop 10245

I have received and built both the Santa Workshop (10245) and the added set (40106). I am curious how the clever AFOLs are going to integrate these two sets because the bonus set does not seem to match the workshop walls. I suppose the bonus set could be used as a shed for the elves behind the workshop. Anyway, I am interested in ideas from the wisdom of the forum.

While I only have the 40106, I would like to eventually get 10245, as they are a great pair. My idea for combining the two isn't all too creative, but I envision extending the house on one side, most likely the left, integrating the structure from 40106, adding a roof back towards the right the right side to house the large machine included with 10245. Basically creating a manufacturing wing. Possibly considering extending the other side to create space for a bedroom upstairs, and kitchen(ette) down. Difficult part of this is trying to create a good looking, seamless as possible floor with the house's obtuse angle.

On a side note I hope, and wouldn't be surprised if someone turns this into a complete custom modular style house :classic:

Edited by LEGO Guy Bri

I ended up with two of 40106, so here's the quick and simple addition I did, mirror building one of them, rotating the angle of the roofs, and then adding some spare parts I was able to squeeze into a Pick a Brick bauble. Simple stuff, but I think it makes the whole thing a good size for Santa's home. Tiny gap between the chimney and toy workshop though that I'll need to fill when I get around to it.

ieHC3ki.jpg

That seems really simple and effective. I will have to look into that as well. My only concern is the window they use on the left vs the one we would use on the right. But I like it. Definitely makes it more substantial for a minimal cost addition. Too bad TLG couldn't do that...

I like the idea of mirror building the two bonus sets. Was thinking the same thing if I get two of them. I am considering putting the long toy machine inside the workshop with the bonus sets making the back wall.

I was also wondering how to use the 40106 (Toy Workshop) with the 101245 (Santa’s Workshop) then I found this thread.

Thanks to mouseketeer I found a way. I liked what he had done, but I wanted to add my own touches. I started out like mouseketeer, then I rotated the base plate of the first workshop to make it 8x6 instead of 6x8 made a mirror image with the second set and started modifying and decorating. After much experimentation I added an arched window between the 2 square windows. Decorated the window sills with some poinsettias and I thought the toys were just too cute to not use somehow, so I had the two graders moving snow and the two toy soldiers supervising.

15829067916_b0f5389355_c.jpg

40106 - Toy Workshop x2 by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

Below is Santa’s Workshop with the expansion. I think it turned out well and is a great addition to my Winter Village (Now Santa's Village).

15829068446_91c2a72984_c.jpg

10245 - Santa's Workshop with expansion by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

Thanks to mouseketeer for the original idea.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Looks great. I've got three 40106 sets but intend on just using two to create something similar that can accommodate the toy belt machine thingy. Hoping pick a brick at my local shop has some useful White,beige and brown pieces as well to aid in my creation

Beautiful extending...looking great!

Is it possible that you can give us a partlist?

I also build recently Santa's workshop, and I would to build your extending too!

(ps forgive me bad english, I am dutch)

Beautiful extending...looking great!

Is it possible that you can give us a partlist?

I also build recently Santa's workshop, and I would to build your extending too!

Being Dutch i actually no reason for your Bad English... we are one the best countries in speaking other languages... :sweet: I hope someone has got a partslist for you!

You're English is fine Henk61. Everyone should be able to understand what you mean.

Being Dutch i actually no reason for your Bad English... we are one the best countries in speaking other languages... :sweet:

Please refrain from lecturing other people. We expect every EB member to have a basic command of the English language, but we certainly don't expect perfect English from everyone (the Dutch included).

Additional parts for my expansion...

2 brown 1x4 plate and 1 dark green 1x4 plate for filler on the sides and front.

1 brown 1x4 brick for the middle front.

2 tan 1x1 bricks for the middle front fillers below the tan arch piece.

1 (any color) I had brown arch window

1 gold window lattice.

Some white plates for snow. 4x various length and 2 2x6 white plates on right side for snow.

Various 1x1 round plates for flowers

Several 1x1 white round plates for snow

Several 1x1 white "cheese" slopes for snow.

I had all this in my parts bins, if you have spares just find what will do and looks good to you.

Not many parts needed, all common.

Andy D

Looks great. I've got three 40106 sets but intend on just using two to create something similar that can accommodate the toy belt machine thingy. Hoping pick a brick at my local shop has some useful White,beige and brown pieces as well to aid in my creation

The conveyer belt does not fit in my extension, you may have to make it a little wider to fit the conveyer.

Andy D

Thanks very much for the part list...

Now I can ckeck my lego database to see if I have those pars to build the extending....

Thanks very much for the part list...

Now I can ckeck my lego database to see if I have those pars to build the extending....

I forgot about the parts for the "lights" on the roof. These parts are from the WV Bakery or WV Toy Shop.

Andy D

Just bringing this topic back up. With the workshop back on the market is anyone intending on buying another or over time has anyone expanded theirs. I'm thinking about buying another primarily to get the correct number of reindeer but it's got some nice pieces in to expand this set

Hi all, just bumping this topic, for my reference as much as anything else.

I'd like to try to cobble this out with only one 40106 set, along with the 10245; will see how expensive it gets finding whatever pieces I have vs need to get vs just buying a second 40106. Thanks for the great idea!