There are several threads where many of us list their sets .... and this is not an attempt to replicate that. What I was thinking instead is a master list in the form of an excel sheet where the EB members are listed top-down and lego sets are listed left-right. Then at the intersection, the number of each set the EB member owns. This is just a way to get a 'feel' as to what are popular sets out there ... etc.

What do you think?

Edited by DrJB

I think it's 99,8 % unnecessary: the number and sort of sets someone else owns shouldn't make one feel bad or lucky, nor does it inspire (me) to create own MOCs or buy sets others have.

Besides: there are some tools out there which already fullfil your wish: Stats on Rebrickable or Stats on Brickset (account needed).

Sounds like something rebrickable should/could have :wink:

Anonymous, that is.

edit: ninja'ed

Edited by captainmib

Addition: they both aren't completely what you were looking for. Both of the sites only list the popularity of one specific set by clicking on it (Brickset: owned vs. wanted; Rebrickable: "Users who own this" and "Set Rank").

General statistics are only visible to the site admins who can run all the database queries they like.

I think it's 99,8 % unnecessary:

I can't help but ponder how you came up with that number ...

Sounds like something rebrickable should/could have :wink:

Anonymous, that is.

edit: ninja'ed

Correct, 'anonymous' is the key here ...

Edited by DrJB

Brickset already has this kind of functionality. Every set has "Collections" tab with details - example: http://brickset.com/sets/76023-1/The-Tumbler

I also think that Brickset is perfect for this.

Having a collated list of some sorts is interesting, but I don't think it will work (or be useful) for Eurobricks.

But I'm listening...

Eurobrick's is not going to be the best pleace for this kind of thing,rather what the others have said: rebrickable,brickset..etc are var better than a forum which is more orientated on discussing moc's and individual sets.

Well ... while it is true there are many places that list how many people own such or such set, those statistics are for one set at a time only. Suppose for example that I'm looking for a pattern: some people buy only construction machines, others buy only cranes, while a third group buys only red cars. The idea was to look for 'patterns'. I for one buy only the large sets, I've bought all-in-all maybe 3 small sets because of specific parts. This type of information is not in the databases available out there. Oh, and a disclaimer: I'm not into data-mining or studying purchasing habits for some obscure reason, just thought this would be something fun to do.

Well ... while it is true there are many places that list how many people own such or such set, those statistics are for one set at a time only. Suppose for example that I'm looking for a pattern: some people buy only construction machines, others buy only cranes, while a third group buys only red cars. The idea was to look for 'patterns'. I for one buy only the large sets, I've bought all-in-all maybe 3 small sets because of specific parts. This type of information is not in the databases available out there. Oh, and a disclaimer: I'm not into data-mining or studying purchasing habits for some obscure reason, just thought this would be something fun to do.

Sounds like you're part of TLG's mini-NSA. :wink:

Sounds like you're part of TLG's mini-NSA. :wink:

You got it ... maybe this'll land me a job with TLG, and I won't ever complain about not finding the time to play with lego :)