Renderbricks

Photoreal LEGO Rendering with MECABRICKS

Hello,

Are there any experienced Blender users, knowing a bit about Mecabricks and willing to try my package to easily render Mecabricks models?

I made a simple trial package including a screencast and a simple "How To" file. It is only temporary before I release the proper files and tutorials but I'd be interested to have a few feedbacks before.

Sent me a private message if you are interested.

Cheers

Hello,

Are there any experienced Blender users, knowing a bit about Mecabricks and willing to try my package to easily render Mecabricks models?

I made a simple trial package including a screencast and a simple "How To" file. It is only temporary before I release the proper files and tutorials but I'd be interested to have a few feedbacks before.

Sent me a private message if you are interested.

Cheers

Apparently I'm too new in the forum to use PM, but would love to test your workflow anyway.

Edited by bladeforge

Yep, I can not PM you either. You can go on mecabricks and click the "contact us" link at the bottom to send me an email if you wish.

Looking forward to try your Mecabricks to Blender covert tools.

Just tried to import some Mecabricks obj model into Unreal engine 4. But the model lose all smooth groups. Do you know how to fix it?

Chrome can not export complete .obj of 10179 (.stl is ok but UE4 not support), so I delete some parts to get it work. Why only 10179 get material exported?

Hello,

OBJ is a pretty average format and when the number of vertices is too big, the browser is not that happy... I guess I could try to improve the exporter a bit.

I would definitely recommend the Collada format with "Group by Geometry" option (or Group by Geometry and Colour"). Geometry for a same brick is only exported once which results in much smaller file as well as short processing time. However I don't know if you can load that in the Unreal Engine.

Materials (very basic) are supposed to be exported for all models in OBJ or Collada. I never heard about issues so far. Not too sure where it comes from...

What do you mean by "lose all smooth groups"?

What do you mean by "lose all smooth groups"?

I think he means that they lose all rounded areas. The picture he shared appeared to be just the wireframe.

^ Thank you, Umbra-Manis. That is what I means. May be I should try Collada as Scrubs suggest.

The trial package Scrubs sent me work perfectly, Although I use Blender renderer for the first time. Little mouse is the first one.

Little mouse Mecabricks model by RuMontag.

18511824102_e57ea67567_o.pngMecabricks to Blender converter pre-release testing (trial package) by Nachapon S., on Flickr

18523063186_e3ee0f0620_o.pngMecabricks to Blender converter pre-release testing (trial package) by Nachapon S., on Flickr

18558526601_4e4c4fcfbd_o.pngMecabricks to Blender converter pre-release testing (trial package) by Nachapon S., on Flickr

18531413626_e28faa9f5a_o.pngMecabricks to Blender converter pre-release testing (trial package) by Nachapon S., on Flickr

18565865565_0071dc1244_o.pngMecabricks to Blender converter pre-release testing (trial package) by Nachapon S., on Flickr

Edited by bbqqq

This is a new research result of the great Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon built with MECABRICKS and rendered with MODO. A huge model with over 5.195 pieces usually slow to handle in 3D. But with Scrub's Collada exporter not a big deal anymore. I am still working on a proper and complete material setup because I am not 100% satisfied yet :-)

When I imported the LDRAW version of this model it took over 2 days for splitting the model in groups, importing to BLENDER, exporting to MODO and finally I had to switch to static meshes because MODO can't really deal well with complexity actually. Even the cleanup of the meshes took several hours on a fast DELL machine. With MECABRICKS and my actual material setup this was ready to render from MECABRICKS to MODO in 15 minutes. Good job, Scrubs!

Click on picture for 4K version - click on 4K version to zoom in

10179_Millennium_Falcon_UCS_v03_Front_1K_VR.jpg

10179_Millennium_Falcon_UCS_v03_Rear_1K_VR.jpg

10179_Millennium_Falcon_UCS_v03_Bottom_1K_VR.jpg

Edited by virtualrepublic

At some point I feel like I'm going to have to learn how to use Mecabricks! Or, manage to import LDD models into Mecabricks...

At some point I feel like I'm going to have to learn how to use Mecabricks! Or, manage to import LDD models into Mecabricks...

You may want to try the First Time User's Primer. It's purpose is to provide a gentle introduction for new users (like me!).

AWESOME!

Thanks, you inspire us to make better photo-real renderings.

Scrubs just update the Mecabricks Blender template to beta 4. It is getting better and better.

PS. I fixed wrong aspect ratio of all renderings in this page. From 11:12 to 1:1.

Edited by bbqqq

Cool fog glow effect Umbra-Manis! :wink:

Check the spoiler to see my last render about one of the awesome creations by Chris McVeigh!

NDxO1j.jpg

Edited by zanna

Wow! What a fantastic renders! Very photo-realistic and very impressive!

Thank you 6ix! :laugh:

I want to show you this one (check the spoilers), about Scooby-Doo! :classic:

Qj0Bqb.jpg

... work in progress here:

ZVNK1j.jpg

Again, beautiful! Love the light effect in the cabin and of the tail lights. Nice to see the WIP version.

Thank you GREG988!

Exactly, materials are very important. Then you work on the lights and the camera (even his faults) :blush: