Leif

Good constant Power to PF, no batteries

This is how I get constant power to my PF builds, as long as the machines stay on the table. Naturally when they get mobile, they have to have a batterybox. The same goes for a 360 rotation of cranes and such!

This is really easy and no big customization of a battery box.

First of all, get a net driven battery eliminator that gives you 9V DC.

Cut the 9V cord, strip and attach cable shoes to + and -

I actually first added 2 metres of cable after the 9V cord in order to give it some more "legroom".

A batterybox, a wooden staff and the + cable shoe attached to end of staff, use a small screw.

B7580115-53F9-45D4-89E4-09AE9C3F5C2C.jpg

Drill a hole throug batterybox, second cable through, minus cable.

66D57EAE-4F47-4FB3-A27A-D4AE2B434CE8.jpg

Cut off the corner of plate for cables to exit

0BBCE3E0-D53F-401D-B26D-F030B3DD5157.jpg

Note which of the 6 battery compartments that I use. They are the only one that you can use, since all other compartments are just linked in between eachother, not to the power output of the box!

No more charging batteries when only testing out a new crare, gearbox or similar! Hours of fun!

Can you keep using it as a normal battery box? If that happens I'll try, since I only have two battery boxes and I don't mind making a hole on it inside, and using it without that side plate or making a small hole

Edited by PROlego

Can you keep using it as a normal battery box? If that happens I'll try, since I only have two battery boxes and I don't mind making a hole on it inside, and using it without that side plate or making a small hole

oh yeah, a drilled hole and a chipped corner is the only "damage" you do to the batterybox. remove wooden staffs and you are back to normal.

Great! Now I just need a 9v transformer (I've got a variable one but sonetimes I need it and I don't want to move it). I've got many 12v transformers, can I use them? Will the battery box lower the volts? I've got a voltimeter to try but first I want to know I won't kill the battery box.

Great! Now I just need a 9v transformer (I've got a variable one but sonetimes I need it and I don't want to move it). I've got many 12v transformers, can I use them? Will the battery box lower the volts? I've got a voltimeter to try but first I want to know I won't kill the battery box.

The batterybox is basically just a container with a power and direction switch, along with some overload protection. it will not lower the volts from 12 to 9V. remember, normally you put 6x1.5V batteries in the box = 9V...

do not try anything with 12V, it is over the top! Also, make really sure you get a 9V DC (not AC) transformer...If you are uncertain about power, volts and electricity, do not take any chances, it can only lead to expenses and burnt equipment!

Okay... I thougt the battery box reduced power since I use batteries that have got around 1,685 volts (and they are the cheapest I could find) when new so sometimes I have more than 10 volts...

Another battery box mod without actually destroying battery box so much. Also quite aestheticaly pleasing. Just use battery box without the lid where the additional cables stick out. Edited by sonar

Another battery box mod without actually destroying battery box so much. Also quite aestheticaly pleasing. Just use battery box without the lid where the additional cables stick out.

I did something similar. I used a jack and plug to keep the wiring neater since it is displayed at events running the GBC modules. The box can go back to using batteries by unscrewing the jack and moving it aside for the batteries.

Picture20418_zps9e231365.jpg

Excellent table top battery box modification! Looks great!

Okay... I thougt the battery box reduced power since I use batteries that have got around 1,685 volts (and they are the cheapest I could find) when new so sometimes I have more than 10 volts...

The battery box has a resetable fuse that limits the amount of current draw from the batteries. 6AAA batteries will work as good as 6AA batteries except that the operating time and load capacity will be different. You can bypass this fuse just by buying a 9V battery holder to power the receiver. I've seen up to 18 Volts out these batteries boxes and never trip the fuses doing this.

Lego should have put a 9 v connector on the battery box to charge the batteries or just use the ac power directly.

need a suitable ac/dc transformer which is stepped down to 9V lego also sell one of those.

Nice mods, but you can just plug the battery box to a 9V train speed regulator or control center, and get AC power that way. The speed regulator seems to have reasonably high current limits as well.