What vehicle is the 41999 set based upon? I picked one up from Amazon last week. It looks to be possibly a late 60's or early 70's Charger, Challenger or Barricuda, not sure, really would like to know.

Also, I was surprised upon checking Bricklink inventory of the set that it doesn't have an engine connected to the driveshafts that run to each differential. Anybody else think this is odd?

Otherwise, really cool set. Had hoped Lego would release more, but when I queried it, the Crawler's pic came up and it said Retired, so I ended up paying a lot more than I had hoped to, but I really wanted the set.

Well, I think only RM8 can awnser your questions...

(or at least not me ... )

Edited by Black-Build

The base 9398, from which the 41999 is derived, is not mechanically realistic in terms of drive shaft or steering. The "differentials" you are referring too are most likely the two ball joints, which help support universal joints, which are transmitting the motion of the servo motor used for steering. Each axle has its own L-motor, wired in parallel, each of which drives universals, one of each axle, simulating 4WD.

Huh, didn't realize it was based on the chassis of the 9398. I know the 9398 got mixed reviews about the RC steering being kind of wacky so I never bought that one. Hope the 41999 doesn't have the same issues.

In response to Cumulonimbus, too, thought it resembled a Charger or Challenger, one of Dodge's offerings in the 1970 or so time period, kind of like the Dukes of Hazzard car, only hopped up literally. I love the dark blue panels and the 'stripes' running up the hood onto the roof.

Edited by DarkShadow73

Huh, didn't realize it was based on the chassis of the 9398. I know the 9398 got mixed reviews about the RC steering being kind of wacky so I never bought that one. Hope the 41999 doesn't have the same issues.

In response to Cumulonimbus, too, thought it resembled a Charger or Challenger, one of Dodge's offerings in the 1970 or so time period, kind of like the Dukes of Hazzard car, only hopped up literally. I love the dark blue panels and the 'stripes' running up the hood onto the roof.

I agree. I loved the body, colours and details, but I wasn't very fond on the 9398 chassis with its proportions and PF. As a result, I have build my own chassis and rebuild the 41999 from the ground up. The dimensions of the body have remained the same, but its stance is much more like the real car. Now it has a fake V8 powered by the rear wheels, openable hood/bonnet, HOG steering with (eventually) moving steering wheel, more complete interior (still needs some details) and live rear axle. This is more or less how mine looks at the moment:

30ii4gh.jpg

No, I did not try to copy one model, but I tried to find the shape of muscle cars. Doubled round front lights was selected among different variants. And fact that final product is looking like challenger is not because it was built like it.

2013_%2B1_22_11_51.jpg

2013_%2B1_22_11_52.jpg2013_%2B1_22_11_55.jpg

2012_12_16_10_27.jpg

Edited by rm8

As someone who grew up in Detroit with Chrysler products in the 50s and 60s, the front of the car most resembles a mid 60s full size Chrysler. I just can't see a challenger or charger in the design. And I raced enough of them on Telegraph Road and Woodward Ave in Detroit to know them and fear them. Ah, those were the days! My friend had a 440 Cuda. We raced a 454 Chevy Chevel on interstate 75 just north of Detroit. I was a passenger in the Cuda. When we finally got half a car length ahead of the Chevy and the race ended, the speedometer was at 145 mph. More fun than Lego, but a bit more dangerous. But, at that age. I was invincible.