Sign in to follow this  
DarthPineapple

Schwerer Gustav

Hi all! Today I'd like to show you my latest MOC, a minifig-scaled Schwerer Gustav.

8688218089_b596b899f5_z.jpg

8689335906_d16018aed6_z.jpg

The 80-cm-Kanone (E) was a massive railway siege gun developed by the Wehrmacht during WWII. Two were built, named "Schwerer Gustav" and "Dora" and were both used on the Eastern front.

The gun was designed to be taken apart into segments for transport and built up again. It fired massive seven ton shells, which needed at least a one ton charge. The shells and charges were loaded onto a small cart which would then go up to the loading deck via one of the two lifts on the rear. Then the shell was rolled onto a small platform in front of the gun and pushed inside, followed by the charges.

Aiming the gun was a difficult task as it had no traverse to the left or right, only up. It needed a curved track and two special railroad engines with an extra low gear which would aim the gun by moving it along the track. The gun's effective range was almost 40 km!

The model is 90 cm long, 33 cm high and the gun is 70 cm long, making the total length over 1 m. The model is modular like the real thing and features many of the details and functions, such as a moving gun, ammo carts and working elevators.

Please have a look at the LEGO Schwerer Gustav set on Flickr as it contains many more detailed shots of this massive artillery and it's crew.

In the Dutch "Spoorwegmuseum" there currently is an exhibition about war trains so they might be interested ;) They show a grenade of the Gustav cannon there. Of course those cannons were only effective when one has air superiority as well.

Beautiful MOC DarthPineapple! It's scale looks perfect and detailed very well. It's a shame neither of the real ones are around for display. They are quite impressive on size alone :classic:

Thanks guys! :)

In the Dutch "Spoorwegmuseum" there currently is an exhibition about war trains so they might be interested ;) They show a grenade of the Gustav cannon there. Of course those cannons were only effective when one has air superiority as well.

Cool! Didn't know that yet, maybe I can take a look some day.

Beautiful MOC DarthPineapple! It's scale looks perfect and detailed very well. It's a shame neither of the real ones are around for display. They are quite impressive on size alone :classic:

I know, a real shame they got destroyed.

Edited by DarthPineapple

You actually built that thing?!? Get outta here!?! Wow, crazy, those guns have always fascinated me.

Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Totally AWESOME WWII MOC......it proves that you are becoming a big shot in MOC'ing 'DarthPineapple'......a friend of mine would be very interested in looking at your design (he wants to build something similar).

Brick On Fight On 'DarthPineapple' ! :grin:

I had never heard about this, but it is interesting to learn.

Great build, very convincing.

(ok, this has boosted an old MOC, but it wasn't me :grin: )