kyphur

Classic Set Restoration: 181-1 Complete Train Set with Motor Signal

Here is the the set:

8202493129_7dc54db270_z.jpg

This link is a video of the set running on a closed loop.

Currently the set is missing to following parts:

2 - Yellow, Classic Window 1 x 1

1 - Black, Brick 1 x 8

1 - Black, Slope 45 2 x 4 Textured Slope

1 - Yellow, Brick Round 1 x 1 with Solid Stud

2 - Red, Plate 4 x 6

2 - Black, Slope 45 2 x 1 without Center Tube

1 - Red, Reverser Switch

1 - Signal Tower (Is Damaged Beyond Repair)

I have already ordered everything except the Signal Tower

First decision is regarding the stickers. Here are pictures of them:

8202495069_d6fe84b25e_n.jpg 8203586428_c248940d49_n.jpg 8202494085_d5333a03e9_n.jpg

8202497045_1bf210d844_n.jpg 8202498139_4ec903fee4_n.jpg

I need to decide if I want to preserve the original stickers but saturating them with polyurethane. This will permanently affix them to the bricks (they kind of are already. The other option would be to remove them and make reproduction stickers.

I'm leaning towards preserving the original stickers.

Once this decision is finalized I'll disassemble the set and clean the bricks.

Anyone here familiar with these 4.5 volt motors? Would it be a good idea to open the motor and clean/lubricate the interior or should I just clean the exterior?

This train set will be located at the Train Museum in my layout.

After this restoration is complete I'd like to add set 131-1 Passenger Cabin and a MOC Caboose I've already designed.

I love seeing these old sets, - especially when in working order.

The situation you have with the original stickers on this set is similar to when I was a part of the tinplate train collecting scene. With an old playworn loco do I restore or do I leave it in original, but shabby condition. Myself I was a member of the leave it original camp because once the original finish is gone it's gone for good. So I guess I'm saying preserve it as is and let an old and much loved toy show off its playwear with pride.

I might be able to pull that of with reproduction stickers... but it will be christmas holidays since we get our new machine beginning of december and might be selling our current machine next saturday already :)

Im glad to see the museum idea is back... mine never got off the ground unfortunately. But I do have a couple of 131... and other older models wanting a new home. It is a pity to keep them in boxes; and they should be seen. Like Kyphur I enjoy the rennovation part - although I have not got into stickers too much. Occasionally it is a pain when a 1x2 black narrow slit window is missing - they sell for 20 CHF each. Ouch. Perhaps a job for a black 3D printing machine.

Anyone here familiar with these 4.5 volt motors? Would it be a good idea to open the motor and clean/lubricate the interior or should I just clean the exterior?

The 4.5V motors were designed to be opened and lubricated (there is probably a scan of the warranty card and lube instructions on Peeron). It's easy to do with a screwdriver. You used to be able to purchase replacement motors and the bearings for wheels too. While there is no harm in it, I'm not sure there'll be much benefit either. All of the motors I've seen either run pretty well, or the motor is burnt out and cleaning and lube won't help. They are not an expensive part to replace thankfully.

Im glad to see the museum idea is back... mine never got off the ground unfortunately. But I do have a couple of 131... and other older models wanting a new home. It is a pity to keep them in boxes; and they should be seen. Like Kyphur I enjoy the rennovation part - although I have not got into stickers too much. Occasionally it is a pain when a 1x2 black narrow slit window is missing - they sell for 20 CHF each. Ouch. Perhaps a job for a black 3D printing machine.

We need more accurate 3D printers (at kickstarter there is a nice initiate for one with photo cured resin, too bad that is impossible with ABS).

Very nice Kyphur. Your question about the stickers is really a tough one.

The benefit would be keeping the originality with the old stickers - truly vintage and as Loco Annie mentions, once you remove, they're gone for good.

Removing would create a much cleaner, nicer looking train; but you would have to replicate the stickers somehow (if you can).

Based on the condition of the stickers and that this is a restoration project, I would lean towards removing and replacing them with fresh decals.

Tough choice but either way, the train is an excellent start/addition to your train museum.

Oh, I should mention: since coming out of my Dark Ages, I have not used any sticker on any set for this very reason. They do wear over time and get sloppy, I have (once) made a copy of the sticker sheet for the My Own Train steam engine and reproduced on photographic sticker sheet paper. The result was okay but I eventually removed them as well. I'm not a fan of stickers.

Good luck!

Kyphur: Make the best of both worlds: I have a spare tender without stickers. So keep one with the originals, and have a second with new replacements.

Kyphur: Make the best of both worlds: I have a spare tender without stickers. So keep one with the originals, and have a second with new replacements.

I think I need to talk to you about buying some things from you like a 131-1 Passenger Coach (or 2) and a short 4.5v train base if you have an extra one.

What I'm leaning towards right now is:

Polyurethane the original stickers in place and park the original set on a siding to only run occasionally.

Build a "Modern Classic" version of the Train by copying the basic design/shape but use PF wheels, couplers, electrics and reproduction stickers. I would also update the roof design so the passenger car(s) open for easier access to the seats. This would then sit on the Museum's main loop and be the daily rider.

For this plan I'm going to need to get some switches/points; 2 for sidings and if I choose to connect the Musuem loop to a main line a 3rd one.

Stickers always end up like this, I think I would go with removing and then possibly not try to replace. I like TheBrickster really don't like the look so tend to leave them off, that being said there are exceptions, like on the Maersk train with out them it juts looks too plain.

I think if you have the cash and the space having more then one is the way to go, looking forward to seeing the results whatever they may be

Just a quick update: replacement parts have started to arrive!

Once the repairs and part clean-up is done I'll post updated images.