Sign in to follow this  
Pvdb

Cyclic and Collective Pitch Control on Helicopter

I saw some of the images of the new helicopter that LEGO are bringing out this summer and it inspired me to get my old MOC out of the box and figure out a way of adding collective pitch to the system. In the end quite a compact mechanism

post-28911-13388501224824.jpg

More images on Mocpages

Nice solution! :classic: I visited your MOCpages entry about "Cyclic and Collective Pitch Control", and thought it may be helpful to define each term.

In this TechnicBRICKS article, Fernando Correia noted that the upcoming 9396 Helicopter "...we got to see from the box details and the arrows in it, that we're going to get pitch control on the main rotor blades:"

9396_P1.jpg

In this Wikipedia article about "Helicopter Flight Controls", "Cyclic Pitch Control" is defined thus: "The control is called the cyclic because it changes the pitch angle of the rotor blades cyclically. That is, the pitch or feathering angle of the rotor blades changes depending upon their position as they rotate around the hub so that all blades will change their angle the same amount at the same point in the cycle. The change in cyclic pitch has the effect of changing the angle of attack and thus the lift generated by a single blade as it moves around the rotor disk. This in turn causes the blades to fly up or down in sequence, depending on the changes in lift affecting each individual blade."

DI39G1.jpg

Collective Pitch Control is defined thus: "The collective changes the pitch angle of all the main rotor blades collectively (i.e., all at the same time) and independent of their position. Therefore, if a collective input is made, all the blades change equally, and the result is the helicopter increases or decreases its total lift derived from the rotor. In level flight this would cause a climb or descent, while with the helicopter pitched forward an increase in total lift would produce an acceleration together with a given amount of ascent."

Edited by DLuders

Cheers :classic: and yes I am waiting for some of those rotor blades from 9396. Hopefully they would have out both collective and cyclic controls into a model that size. If not, shouldn't be to difficult to mod with something similar to my mech.

Hi!

That's great job you've done there...

I'am passionated abaout helicopter, and i think that two videos will have your interrest. The second one is well at your Moc scale i think.

Whatever, well done!

@+

Steph.

Hi!

That's great job you've done there...

I'am passionated abaout helicopter, and i think that two videos will have your interrest. The second one is well at your Moc scale i think.

Whatever, well done!

@+

Steph.

Cheers Steph

Nice video. Do you have any CAD of the mechanism? If so, I might do some experimentation with it?

Cheers Paul

Nico van Duin posted this

of "A helicopter rotor with cyclic and collective pitch. The swashplate control is done by three M-motors and the rotor is powered by one L-motor":

Edited by DLuders