Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Historic MOCs/Themes Inspired by Movies

BrickMiner and I were discussing some western/horror movies and I got to thinking, it would be interesting to share movies/films that have inspired your historic MOCs (or) to buy sets of a particular historic/adventure theme.

One of many for me was the movie, The Mummy. I was fortunate that some of the Desert Adventurer sets were available when this movie was released. I purchased my first Desert Adventure set which was the Scorpion Tracker. An awesome little jeep and very unique to existing/past Lego themes. I loved the tan bricks and the treasure map.

5918-1.jpg

Share some of your inspirations.

Indiana Jones is good. King Kong too. I've heard Gunga Din is good, but can't find it. King Soloman's Mines and Alan Quartermain were decent. Some others are: The Man Who Would Be King; Jurrasic Park; Island at the Top of the World (and other similar disney movies of that era).

I get ideas from all kinds of sources, even if not directly related to historical periods and then just adapt the idea to fit the time period I'm working in.

Steve

The movies Stargate, Indiana Jones (1,2,3), The Mummy have partly inspired my to buy more sets of the adventurers and to start building a piramid in lego (I might post some pictures of my progress).

I love movies/book where history and a fictional story are mixed (Da Vinci code, Hornblower, gladiator, Master and commander, National Treasure, ...) and with lego you can continue the story once the movie is finished ...

movies aren't very inspiring.

they leave nothing to the imagination. i mean, you get it all... pictures (that move), talking, dramatic music... they leave little to challange the imagination (as far as interpretting the story). they are too EASY to enjoy. see, when you are working with few resources, you mind needs to be creative to fill gaps. that is when the best creative work happens. when things are easy, it becomes more like a robotic assembly line. too manufactured, which is what most hollywood movies are today.

however, somtimes the concept of the movie is inspiring. i have been inspired by countless movie posters !!! a single image is much more powerful in motivating creativity. yor mind fills in gaps, gets excited and starts thinking,... CREATIVELY 8-

Interesting. You say movies aren't inspiring, but yet movie posters are. I enjoy reading and writing too, but yet I still enjoy watching a movie, and sometimes, a certain movie will inspire me to build a MOC. To me, a movie is just like a poster or other picture, because it's a visual of something or theme that you may want to create in Lego.

I had seen King Kong, and wanted to build a large adventure ship. Maybe one day. I don't think that the movie takes the fun out of the inpiration, what you call "leaving nothing to the imagination", but rather just one more motivating influence for building a MOC.

I was expecting someone to say Lord of the Rings. I've seen a lot of MOCs from the movie (from the castle fans). I'm sure there's been many other movies as well as other inpirations.

I purchased my first Desert Adventure set which was the Scorpion Tracker. An awesome little jeep and very unique to existing/past Lego themes. I loved the tan bricks and the treasure map.

5918-1.jpg

That's one of my favorite childhood sets. *y*

movies aren't very inspiring.

When movies do limit the scale of its universe and what is capable within its corridors, then I can agree with you. Completely open ended movie universes on the other hand can inspire so much. Star Wars, as an example, remains popular to this day because of its open endedness.

Certain movies should only be discerned as entertaining fluff and nothing more. Such a movie that has already been mentioned in this thread is Star Gate. It had a few intriguing ideas, but those were stifled by a bad script and mediocre direction.

In my opinion, most movies shouldn

I mentioned that after watching the newest version of the Mummy, I was inspired to collect the Lego Desert/Egypt Adventuer sets, but the inspiration came long befor the movie.

Below is a non-Lego toy that I received for Christmas/Birthday when I was a child:

gijoe-mummystomb-1973-small.jpg

gijoe-mummystomb-1970-small.jpg

G.I. Joe came out with an Adventure Theme that included sets like this called the Secret of the Mummy's Tomb. They were awesome sets! Secret of the Tomb had an ATV that had six large black wheels giving it the ability to float in the water; and a hoist and net to pull the mummy from a dig. Tools like a pick and shovel added to the playability.

Classic toys like this bring even more inspiration to Lego themes. The memories of playing with them last forever. I just wish I still had the toys.

Star Wars, as an example, remains popular to this day because of its open endedness.
yes, SW seems to escape my definition of an uninspiring movie, doesn't it ??? however, i think it is one of the few to the contrary. even the batman movies don't make me want to re-create them. however, the official line is quite good.
Speaking of movies that make you think, have you ever watched 2001: A Space Odyssey?
there are a few movies that make you think, but again... they don't make me think about building LEGOS :-D

2001 is great (love kubrick's directing) and Forbidden Planet is another mind-bender (probably my fav of all time).

--------------------------------------------------

BTW, those GIJoe toys are pretty cool Brickster, too bad you didn't hold on to them. that reminds me of old toys i had growing up... i would have totally forgotten about them, except i see photos of me playing with them as a kid. so glad that i at least have the photos. great memories *wub*

- BrickMiner

2001 is great (love kubrick's directing) and Forbidden Planet is another mind-bender (probably my fav of all time).

I really like sci-fi and use to read quite a bit of it, but no matter how many times I watch 2001, Space Odyssey, the only inspiration I get is to take a nap. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *sad*

A very small element of Last of the Mohicans has crept into my latest MOC... I had been toying with several versions of the idea and the movie convinced me which was best, though someone else may not notice it at all...

God Bless,

Nathan

A very small element of Last of the Mohicans has crept into my latest MOC...
is this the "best MOC ever" that you were referring to in your "community" thread ???

the one that require some photo editing ??? 8-

A very small element of Last of the Mohicans has crept into my latest MOC...

is this the "best MOC ever" that you were referring to in your "community" thread ???

the one that require some photo editing ??? 8-

Yep, Forbidden Planet has aged pretty well, too.

I really like sci-fi and use to read quite a bit of it, but no matter how many times I watch 2001, Space Odyssey, the only inspiration I get is to take a nap. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz *sad*

It's an acquired taste. ;-) (The funky light show goes on for far too long, however!) You might want to check this link out and then rewatch the 'Odyssey'. (It sums up what all the symbolism symbolizes.)

You might want to check this link out and then rewatch the 'Odyssey'. (It sums up what all the symbolism symbolizes.)

No thanks, I'll pass. Not too inspiring for me (including all the symbolism).

looks good. what is the horizontal dark gray bird represent ???

- Miner

It has been carved out of the rock (like a lot of the MOC).

God Bless,

Nathan

There has been lots of movies that inspired me during my late teens, but that coincided with my dark ages, so I mostly wrote short stories and did drawings instead of creating something from Lego.

For years, apart from history books, my inspirations were: Star Wars, Frank Herbert's Dune, William Gibson's cyberspace novels, Tery Pratchett's Discworld series, Poul Anderson's "Orion Shall Rise", the movies Blade Runner and the Mad Max trilogy, and, of course, Lord of the Rings (the books).

Here are a few examples of my post-apocalyptic/retro vehicles, inspired by the Mad Max movies. Not much design-wise, but hey, that was when I was just starting out again and had only about 5 sets / 300 to 400 pieces to build with.

These are from the MALUG gallery. Click the pics to enlarge, but just a little bit...

I sort of agree with the previous poster who said that movies leave little for the imagination. I much prefer books - almost all movies based on books which I had read previously turned out to be disappointments for me. I thought I'd imagined those worlds so much better than the directors! :-D One notable exception: LOTR (I couldn't have done it better myself ;-) :-P :-D )

no matter how many times I watch 2001, Space Odyssey, the only inspiration I get is to take a nap.

The movie is a bit "abstract."

I like it though because the meaning of the movie is something that is not given to you, its something you have to think about.

A very small element of Last of the Mohicans has crept into my latest MOC

Excellent movie.

I just bought the musical score for it recently.

Movies that have inspired me include Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Kingdom of Heaven, and Lady Hawke.

I saw the movie a few years ago, but can't recall the music. How is it?

Very good. But nothing can touch Chariots of Fire and The Mission (the score or cinematicaly).

God Bless,

Nathan