REVIEW: 5969 Squidman Escape

7 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

Member: 4458

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:24 AM

Squidman: the vile graffiti artist has escaped again! Can the Space Police catch him, or will their speeder fall out from under them? Does Squidman himself live up to his name? And is he really squidlike? That's your choice.

Posted Image

Name: Squidman Escape
Set Number: 5969
Theme: Space Police III
Year: 2009 (summer)
Pieces: 42
Minifigures: 2
Price: USD 5.99, GBP 4.89, EUR 5,99

Links

Shop@Home
Peeron
Brickset

This set, for an impulse, has one major BUY ME! factor: Squidman. If you don't have him, go get at least two. Right now.  He's worth it. Or else.

The Box

Front
Posted Image

A fairly small box, but it is the third-smallest set in the Space Police line, after all. We have the typical dome-thing in the background, some nice shiny effects on the speeder's lights, and a prominent display of Squidman. Essentially a typical impulse box, but you're not buying for the box, are you?

Back
Posted Image

Once again, a pretty typical impulse box. The two minifigures are once again placed prominently, and it makes it pretty obvious that you're getting a 100-bill, too. Also there is the punch-flap, which I never actually use, in favor of a knife.

Overall, the box stands out enough to be noticed-- especially the gleeful Squidman.

Box Contents
Posted Image

So you dump out the box and get two polybags, a small dreadful sticker sheet, an instruction booklet, and a free LEGO club membership. We'll look at these part by part.

The Instructions

Front
Posted Image

Pretty standard instructions, with the same image as the front of the box on them.

Random Page
Posted Image

No piece call-outs, but the print is quite clear and easy-to-read.

Space Police Ad
Posted Image

In the back of the instructions, we have a line-up of all of the criminals and the various SPIII sets.

Parts List
Posted Image

Not very many parts, but 33 of 42 are unique, so that's pretty good...

The Sticker Sheet

The Sheet
Posted Image

A relatively small DSS, but some of these are kind of tricky to put on-- namely the long ones with the flame-like things on them. Nothing so difficult as the Thunder Driller, though.

The Parts and Build, And Extra Pieces Too

The Parts
Posted Image

A nice variety of parts is present, some large, some small. Interesting are Squidman's cape (in a new, flatter type of cape-box), the 100-bill, and some of the big slope parts. And, of course, the minifigures.

The Build

The build of the speeder is quite quick-- it almost takes more time to build the minifigures. Of course, that's to be expected-- it is an impulse set, after all. There are some nice SNOT connections and an interesting use of a flag piece, but nothing really stunning. You're probably not going to buy this for the speeder, though: the minifigures, I suspect, will be of the most interest to AFOLs.

Extra Pieces
Posted Image

Only a few extra pieces, but extra cheese are always welcome and a visor is handy to have around too.

The Minifigures

The Policeman
Posted ImagePosted Image

A typical Space Policeman, with leg- and back-printing. His head is double-sided and he probably has a very good use of that scared expression: his helmet isn't airtight and he hasn't got any air tanks.

Squidman
Posted ImagePosted Image

The crown jewel of this set: Squidman. He is the reason I bought this set-- two of this set-- and probably will buy more. He's front- and back-printed and has a cool cape (although it covers his back-printing). He has a bugeyed head with a neat green pattern on top. He's the cutest minifigure I've ever seen. You need one. Now.

More Squidman
Posted Image

You can see the beautiful head here, with that wonderful top-printing and those bugeyes. It's amazing how well the head integrates with the body-- it seems like it could be clumsy, but it's perfect instead.

Two Squidmen
Posted Image

Two Squidmen are better than one!

The Set

The Speeder
Posted Image

The speeder isn't really anything special, but it serves its purpose. All of the stickers in the set go onto it, but I built my second one without any stickers and it looks fine without them as well.

The Speeder, Front
Posted Image

The speeder is quite sleek, and has two blasters on the front. The flag is quite cleverly used here to approximate the front slope.

The Speeder, Side
Posted Image

The bend is achieved by a click-joint, so it can be positioned however you like. A minifigure can fit on it in most configurations.

The Speeder, Back
Posted Image

The minifigure grabs onto the handle, and then their legs rest on the bent part. The plates with bars act mostly as greebles, though one might attach something more there. An engine, perhaps?

The Speeder with Minifigure
Posted Image

As you can see, a minifigure sits comfortably on the speeder, and can therefore zoom in pursuit of Squidman.

Final Thoughts & Ratings

Posted Image

The Ratings

Playability/Swooshability: 8/10 The speeder is quite swooshable, and the Space Police can catch Squidman hundreds of times, but it is an impulse set, and so its playability is rather limited (but goes up to a 10 when combined with another set).

Design: 10/10 The bike isn't about to fall apart and can take some pretty serious impacts.

Price: 9/10  A little on the expensive side, but Squidman makes up for that. I bought my two on sale for USD 5.00, so it's not too bad, but it's worth even the regular price.

Minifigures: 10/10  Sure, the policeman doesn't have any airtanks, but SQUIDMAN! makes up for him. It should be a law that everyone has to have a Squidman. The world would be a better place.

Overall: 9.5/10 The stickers aren't too bad, the minifigures are great, and the speeder isn't half-bad.

I'm happy with this set. It's relatively cheap, it has SQUIDMAN!, a decent speeder, and nicely balances out the Space Police III line. My thoughts? Get two if you see them. I'd be even glad to buy another.

Brickshelf

Posted Image

My Reviews
6966 Mini Jedi Starfighter~8970 Robo Attack~8967 Gold Tooth's Getaway~8038 The Battle of Endor
5969 Squidman Escape
If it's PURPLE, I've switched the pictures from Brickshelf to Flickr.

#2 Forresto

Forresto

• Soccor Star

Member: 6841

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:54 PM

This is a reeally good review! Nice job on presentation and adding a bit of humor to it!

"Be good or don't get caught." I tell my cats this every day - they never listen"
Link to my Flickr
Link to my 'Doctor Who' mocs

Posted Image  Thanks Joey!

#3 Hound Knight

Hound Knight

• Exblower Artistic Genius!

Member: 5665

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

'In which men are squidlike'

:laugh: Great line!

Great review too, very funny!  :sweet: It would definitely convince me to buy it, except I already have.  :grin:
~ Hound Knight,   BrickForge Firebrand

Posted Image

Support the Pirates forum, buy your LEGO here!

#4 Dunjohn

Dunjohn

• EB Boardgames Reviewer

Member: 7364

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:06 AM

Wait.... Squidman's naked!? I never noticed that....
On the stalls on market day,
You might hear little voices say....

Collectable Minifigures Trading List

#5 Hound Knight

Hound Knight

• Exblower Artistic Genius!

Member: 5665

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:27 AM

View PostDunjohn, on Dec 22 2009, 07:06 PM, said:

Wait.... Squidman's naked!? I never noticed that....
I thought it was a green suit?
~ Hound Knight,   BrickForge Firebrand

Posted Image

Support the Pirates forum, buy your LEGO here!

#6 Lordofdragonss

Lordofdragonss

Member: 5310

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:23 AM

He IS naked (Frenzy too LoL ) That's why have to catch him- He running around naked throwing money around!
High Chief Of Agriculture of Avalonia
Avalonian Orc Commander

#7 Zenox

Zenox

Member: 6049

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

My Squidmans escape came without the 100 dollar bill  :cry_sad:
Well, for one piece missing i won't bother calling Lego.
Unless if they would be generous and sent me 10 of those... :tongue:

#8 Grimmy

Grimmy

Member: 8354

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:31 AM

I love the Squidman and that is the same reason I got this set!  :grin:  He is one of my fav Lego minifigs. I thought my niece would like him too but she doesn't like the bad guys lol. I tried to make him rob her (she uses the Lego Indy blond princess) car in front of her pink Lego bricks house and she made Squidman stop doing bad things and share his 100 dollar bill and have tea.  :blush:
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users