Sign in to follow this  
xenologer

6705 Space Explorers

indexed.gif

dsc02898.jpg

So I got lucky on ebay and was able find this sealed space army-builder set.

Not exactly Classic Space, but considering I'm a younger afol and this was my era of Space, it makes me happy.

dsc02901.jpg

Back of the box has some 'cute' ideas considering the small contents.

Looks like two little space battles, and in the lower corner a more whimsical Space Music Video filming? Little do they know that the video camera is in fact a laser cannon! :tongue:

dsc02903.jpg

Here I've dumped out the contents of the standard plastic baggie. There were no instructions included, so it seems two of the minifigs are already confused about what helmets they should be wearing.

dsc02904.jpg

Now with the spacemen assembled; you get a rather hard to find Unitron minifig, the old IcePlanet guy, and 3 Spyrius members: an officer, private, and android.

I'm mostly happy to have the android and his clear helmet, and the yellow/grey color combo on the Unitron looks like fun too.

Here you can also see that there are 3 printed control panels; I'm sure these will come in handy considering the modern Mars Mission sets only use stickers for their space computer stuff.

dsc02905.jpg

Lastly here are all the spacemen with their assembled accesories.

They sure don't make spacemen like they used to eh?

Awesome set! I never even knew Classic Space offered such a diversity of figs. Thanks for sharing.

That's nothing- in the entire run of LEGO Space there have been a huge collection of amazing minifigs, way more than those five.

Also, nice review. In my opinion, the Unitron minifig is the most interesting of those. Shame that theme was so underdeveloped.

Good set with a nice variety of equipment (especially the three computer tiles), and the minifigs were getting increasingly more detailed printing by this point. However, it has one fewer minifig than the previous packs did, and they are mostly commanders instead of the basic guys, which makes it less useful for building armies. That Unitron chief is one of my favorite space minifigs though.

Since your set was new, did you get any additional visors with it? These sets often came with a few extras.

Also, nice review. In my opinion, the Unitron minifig is the most interesting of those. Shame that theme was so underdeveloped.

The strange thing about Unitron was that their biggest set, the monorail, was apparently intended to be a standalone originally (it came out a year before the others and the box has the Spyrius blurb on it). I think TLG only decided to make a theme out of it and call it Unitron the following year, and only in the US.

The strange thing about Unitron was that their biggest set, the monorail, was apparently intended to be a standalone originally (it came out a year before the others and the box has the Spyrius blurb on it). I think TLG only decided to make a theme out of it and call it Unitron the following year, and only in the US.

Really? Now that's interesting. And to be certain the monorail is the most popular Unitron set.

This explains why Spyrius was seen tangling with Space Police and then later seemed to take issue with Unitron.

I remembered this set and I still have these mini figs in good condition, except for the missing spyrius robot. His torso is being used by Staudie. :laugh: I enjoyed playing this set, as it offer wide variety of minifigs during the earlier space era, across the galaxy. Thanks for sharing. It certainly brings back lots of nice childhood memories. :sweet:

Nice review, good set. A good way to populate new unknown planets in your LEGO universe. Somehow a pity that this set and the Unitron monorail were the only sets in Europe where you could get Unitron minifigs.

Nice review, good set. A good way to populate new unknown planets in your LEGO universe. Somehow a pity that this set and the Unitron monorail were the only sets in Europe where you could get Unitron minifigs.

That's why there's bricklink my friend. :grin: