Vader X

Arctic Plane Nose for a Train MOC?

Has anyone used this new part for train mocs or is it out of scale?

Tried to search for one with no luck.

Thanks

Post Pics if you have them!

You mean something like this? http://www.brickshel...y.cgi?i=6132579

Not my creation.

umeda201402-17.jpg

I think, looking at it, that is supposed to be an NS (Dutch national railways "Mat 64 Hondekop" (lit. "Dog's head") passenger train of the 1960/70s era (althouigh some still drive on presently!). It works fairly well, although the nose it a bit of... Nice layout!

It looks like this Dutch train. The builder did a good job. It is nice to see people finding creative use for "junior" type pieces instead of complaining about them. :classic:

1.jpg

[pedantic/teacher mode on]

There were two classes of electric passenger trains in the Netherlands that are often confused. Mat'54 and Mat'64. Each exists as 2 and 4 car sets. The general public calls all of them 'Hondekop' or dog face but among train enthusiasts the Mat'64 are known as Apekop or monkey face. The dog faces have a longer nose and the shape of the windows is different. Here they are side by side:

hondekop.jpg

All the '54 trains have been retired as have all the 4-car '64 trains. The 2-car '64 trains just keep going. 50 years old now there are still around 50 of them in active service.

[pedantic/teacher mode off]

Nice use of that piece!

hondekop.jpg

I think that the part looks a little more like the Mat'54, with the way the nose curves in.

I have a question. How out of place would the train look in a city that is somewhat based on the general look of American East Coastern cities? I understand that it's from the Netherlands, but I'm wondering if it would still fit in...

I think that the part looks a little more like the Mat'54, with the way the nose curves in.

I have a question. How out of place would the train look in a city that is somewhat based on the general look of American East Coastern cities? I understand that it's from the Netherlands, but I'm wondering if it would still fit in...

In Ontario, Canada, Northlander railroad had the TEE running from Toronto to North Bay back in the 1970s to 1980s if I recall. I think one of the TEE was sent back to the Netherlands.

northlander.jpg

The nose piece might pass for Motive Power engines like:

Ontario, Canada: GO Transit MP40 engine

gotransit-newloco-01-thumb.jpg

Massassachusetts, USA: MBTA MP36

011_11.18.13.jpg

Maybe EMD F59PHI engine too.

AMTK455A.jpg

There were two classes of electric passenger trains in the Netherlands that are often confused. Mat'54 and Mat'64. Each exists as 2 and 4 car sets. The general public calls all of them 'Hondekop' or dog face but among train enthusiasts the Mat'64 are known as Apekop or monkey face. The dog faces have a longer nose and the shape of the windows is different. Here they are side by side:

hondekop.jpg

All the '54 trains have been retired as have all the 4-car '64 trains. The 2-car '64 trains just keep going. 50 years old now there are still around 50 of them in active service.

Nice use of that piece!

Hi Duq!

I stand corrected.... I had completely forgotten that the mat. 64 were (are?) indeed called Apekoppen and not Hondekoppen... I also like the use of this piece, but I still think that it's a little bit 'off the mark" to really capture the feel of a mat. 64.

Nevermind the piece being orange, not yellow...

True, but the Mats are sort of an orangish yellow.

Also, thanks dr_spock! The MP36 train looks very much like it'd work for my city!

Edited by Lind Whisperer

I would think that the originals are as yellow as yellow can be, but... they come out nicely in orange too I guess...

hondekop.jpg

Nice use of that piece!

At least one thing is the same. They are both noisy but very wonderful!