Dewey Cheatum 1011 Western

is Lego going to re-release the western theme or was the 2002 sets it?

I really liked the western theme and so did a bunch of AFOLs, a few kids here and there including my 2 [and they don't really like Lego, this theme is the only theme of Lego that they like]. And I know the lone ranger sets came out but I didn't really like them as I did with the original. So is Lego EVER going to re-release the western theme?

Edited by Dewey Cheatum 1011 Western

I think it's fair to say that, just as with the pirate theme, it's not a question of if, but when.

The Lone Ranger film was a big failure, but the Lego theme sold incredibly well. Lego stores were selling out of those sets as soon as they got the shipments in. The cavalry army builder sets especially were flying off the shelves at a crazy speed.

I predict we'll see it return within the next two years.

One would expect the Western theme to return. The Lone Ranger movie was actually decent, although a tad long. The sets were pretty neat, although not 100% accurate to the movie.

I just don't think Western themes are as eye grabbing as they used to be. I don't know of any kids that want to grow up to be a cowboy and I live in Nebraska, a.k.a. the beef state... But I could be wrong.

With all of that said, if done appropriately I will buy them. I bought the whole line of LR.

If you mean rerelease the exact sets: not going to happen. The 2002 sets themselves were a rerelease, and were not that successful. A modern rerelease could be expected to be even less successful since even more of the old parts and colors have been taken out of production. That's why Lego rarely does rereleases of old sets—they can enjoy far greater success with a new theme designed for modern audiences than with sets that are already owned by many and will be viewed as inauthentic.

If you mean release a new Western theme, as has been done (and will be done again) with Pirates, I expect it to happen at some point. For now, The Lego Movie sets feature a number of Western-inspired builds, and I imagine that Lego will be looking at the sales of those to see whether there's room for a full theme in the modern lineup.

Do kids still play cowboys and native americans these days? I know we did in the 80's, but now? I would like to see ancient Rome, Greece and Egypt. Maybe the Ottoman Empire.

If they bring back Western I would love a caravan of amish though. Or a Lucky Luke theme would be cool!

Edited by mikaelsol

Do kids still play cowboys and native americans these days?

That was actually my question about the Lone Ranger movie... I have absolutely no idea. I haven't seen much Old West toys around though...

yeah your right the LR set were inaccurate and I got most of them and I liked them except for the new revolver. I wish they could return because I think there unique but, seeing what lego as realesd in past 2 years, I think if the do a new western theme....well kinda like the LR but I hope there something like brickminers MOCs.

Edited by Dewey Cheatum 1011 Western

LR gave Lego lots and lots of nice new Western molds and tooling. I am sure we will see it again. I'm sure it will not be quite the same as some of the classic Western sets however.

My guess is several of the LR sets were already in the planning/development stage as part of a Western theme when Disney approached TLC about a LR line of Lego sets. That would explain the stagecoach to me anyways.

I thought the LR line was excellent (nice sets with highly detailed minifigs and great extra parts), but my kids found them boring except for the Constitution train (they just like Lego trains in general).

My guess is several of the LR sets were already in the planning/development stage as part of a Western theme when Disney approached TLC about a LR line of Lego sets. That would explain the stagecoach to me anyways.

I thought the LR line was excellent (nice sets with highly detailed minifigs and great extra parts), but my kids found them boring except for the Constitution train (they just like Lego trains in general).

That doesn't seem likely to me. The stagecoach wasn't a terribly complicated build. It wouldn't have taken their designers long to come up with that. It wasn't very central to the story, but, if I recall correctly, it's seen in one of the few scenes with the lady with the gun in her boot. They probably wanted to include her somehow and that seemed like the most interesting way to market the minifigure.

Also, the other sets were very specific to the film.

Edited by jodawill