Sign in to follow this  
BeKindRewind

A Trip Through Texas - An Architecture Series

Welcome to the Lone Star State! While not a native Texan, I have now lived here for a few years and managed to visit many of this state's great destinations. I thought I would share some of these site with you, but in Lego form and in an Architecture style.

First stop is closest to my home ... Dallas! In Dallas you will find the Reunion Tower. Completed in 1978, this tower rises 561 feet. It's located to the west of downtown and, if you are standing at the northeast corner of the observation deck, you can look just about straight down onto the famous "grassy knoll". Hundreds of LEDs of different colors surround the sphere and put on different light displays based on the holiday, season or if any local sports teams are playing.

reunion_tower_1.jpg

reunion_tower_3.jpg

And a picture of the real thing, for those not familiar with it.:

reunion_tower_6.jpg

And now we head a little south to Texas' largest city, Houston. Just a short drive south of that we get to the San Jacinto Battle Monument, where the final battle of the war for Texas independence was fought and won by Sam Houston. The San Jacinto Monument is 567 feet tall (just 6 feet taller than Dallas' Reunion Tower) and hosts a 9-pointed star on the top (since it's in three dimensions, it looks like the star of Texas from any angle). This is the one model that is not completely pure Lego. I did paint the stars on the top so they would match the light bley.

san_jacinto_1.jpg

san_jacinto_4.jpg

And again, a picture of the real thing for those who have not visited yet:

san_jacinto_5.jpg

Next we head over to San Antonio, home of the famous Alamo. Now, obviously I didn't make a model of the WHOLE Alamo as it is a large compound. Instead, I showcase the most famous facade of the Alamo church. What I find striking about the Alamo is how it is located right in the heart of San Antonio, surrounded by stores and restaurants. But once inside, it is quite peaceful. A great place to visit. The Battle for the Alamo took place in 1836.

alamo_3.jpg

This one likely doesn't need an actual picture to remind people what the Alamo looks like, but just in case, here it is:

alamo_4.jpg

Next we head up north to Amarillo, with the famous Cadillac Ranch. Created in 1974, it now boasts 10 cars stuck nose-first into the desert. Fun fact: the angle of the cars was not chosen at random, but corresponds to the angles of the Great Pyramid of Giza.

cadillac_ranch_1.jpg

cadillac_ranch_2.jpg

And a picture of the real deal:

Cadillac-Ranch-1.jpg

And last we head back to the Dallas area where we find one last truly iconic piece of architecture ... my house!

house_10.jpg

house_6.jpg

And that's Texas! There are more pictures in Brickshelf , though I don't think they are public yet. When they are, feel free to click on the links below.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=546843

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=546842

Oh, and for those who were wondering "what about Austin?" Well, there is very little about Austin that I could really consider "iconic" enough for the architecture treatment, so I give you this instead. I hope this appeases all you weird Austiners out there. Austinians? Austinites? Whatever.

zaustin_bat.jpg

These are really cool! While I've never been, they look about like I'd expect, especially the alimo!

Well, I guess you could have built the Capitol building, the Frost Bank tower, or the bridge that the bats live under. As an Austinite (yes, that's the term), I'm biased towards including more Austin buildings, but nonetheless, this is a good selection. Fantastic work on the Reunion Tower in particular!

very cool, have seen the Reunion Tower and The Alamo in person, but the Cadillac is pretty cool and I like them all...you could always do Southfork, or try your hand at the stadiums, but that would be a much larger undertaking as well as the Book Depository

Great job overall

I've visited all in person (saw reunion tower today).

Really, you've visited all of them? Soooooo you've been to my house? That's a little creepy, dude.

Just joking, of course. Thanks for the kind words. By the way, I actually love Austin. It's a great city. I just didn't get around to making anything for it and I was anxious to post what I had so far.

Really, you've visited all of them? Soooooo you've been to my house? That's a little creepy, dude.

Just joking, of course. Thanks for the kind words. By the way, I actually love Austin. It's a great city. I just didn't get around to making anything for it and I was anxious to post what I had so far.

Hahah, oh yeah. "All but one" would be more accurate.

Well, I guess you could have built the Capitol building, the Frost Bank tower, or the bridge that the bats live under. As an Austinite (yes, that's the term), I'm biased towards including more Austin buildings, but nonetheless, this is a good selection. Fantastic work on the Reunion Tower in particular!

yeah! The bridge the bats live under.

I scanned the entire thing looking for Austin! :)

OTOH none of the pictures are working for me so I guess its just as well :(

Edited by Sarah