Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

Avalonia, Task 3: The Trifork

This is my entry to the third Avalonian Challenge, describing the lands of the Trifork.

Where the waterways meet and the roads intersect, many a traveller from all over Historica has passed through over the years. In time, merchants and craftsmen made camp at the intersection, servicing the travellers, shoeing their horses, filling their bellies and keeping them well supplied for the road ahead. With wealth came bandits, making away with the spoils of hard labour in the dark of night.

location_of_the_trifork.jpg

As the settlement at The Trifork grew and permanent dwellings was erected, a wooden wall was built, soon to be replaced by masonry walls with fortified gatehouses and towers. In time, space within the walls grew sparse and earthen ramparts and a new gatehouse was erected north of the river, allowing the town to grow and prosper once more.

Further, a chain mechanism to block of the river was established between the twin towers to the north-west. In combination with a number of warships patrolling the lake, this allows the council of The Trifork full control of the waterways in times of conflict.

That is the Trifork you see today.

As you approach the settlement, getting within a mile of the walls, the wet marshlands give way to firmer ground inhabited by a number of farms, all with strong doors and shutters, some with arrow slits in small stone towers. Apart from these, no buildings inhabit the lush plains.

Entering by one of the Trifork's three gates, a completely different world will show itself. A humming, dynamic market town appears, bustling with life, the market stalls selling every conceivable good of Historica, and even some of the lands beyond. The great keep stands watch over the city and the drawbridge connecting "Old Town" south of the river with "New Town" north of the river. While the Avalonian influence is the strongest, all cultures of Historica have set their mark on both architecture and inhabitants of the Trifork.

the_trifork_-_microscale.jpg

Today, the Trifork is rich in trade and culture, an outpost towards other realms of Historica. It is ruled by a city council with the young knight Beorthan at its head. But what will the unruly times of current Historica bring to its doorsteps, and will it stand against the rising unrest of its surroundings?

beorthan__resized.jpg

C&C welcome. I would like to claim UoP credit for microscale :) (Or try, at least!)

Thanks for looking! (Edited for grammatical errors)

Edited by Bregir

Very nice brickbuilt map, innovative take on microscale :classic: (UoP +1 for that!)

What looks a bit weird to me is all the green area inside the walls, I would have expected more roofs there?

Good job. I like the idea of making a microscale replica of your county. My only nitpick are those yellow plates in the bottom left corner (it looks a little out of place and is hard to identify). In any case, + 1 UoP DoH for microscale :)

Nice work, looks good, very map like!

Thank you, sir

Very nice brickbuilt map, innovative take on microscale :classic: (UoP +1 for that!)

What looks a bit weird to me is all the green area inside the walls, I would have expected more roofs there?

Thank you for the credit.

And yes, but in that scale I found that too many roofs(/buildings) made it look to cluttered. Obviously, however, there are more buildings in The Trifork than what is shown on the map!;)

Good job. I like the idea of making a microscale replica of your county. My only nitpick are those yellow plates in the bottom left corner (it looks a little out of place and is hard to identify). In any case, + 1 UoP DoH for microscale :)

Thank you, good sir.

The yellow plates is, in classic lego style, meant to be fields of wheat. I see now that tan would probably have been better,

Love the micro!

Thank you, sir.

UoP DoH +1

*bows*

Wonderful micro scale! I love how green angled plates make great river banks. :thumbup:

Agreed! Straight plates alone makes it look a little too angular! :)

Thank you all for your feedback! I am hoping to be able in time to build all of the major landmarks on that map.

/Bregir out

Edited by Bregir