Navy Trooper Fenson

Review: 7964 Republic Frigate

71 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the set

2. 2. Which version is better?

• 7665 Ambassador-version
    • 7964 Warship Upgrade

Thanks for the great review! I must say the ship looks really good. But the figures aren't a must, so I won't buy this.

Great review of a great ship, i might have to get this one.

You mention a bomb storage, does that mean there is a bomb dropping mechanism as well?

9/10

10/10

10/10

10/10

9/10

9,6/10

C'mon ! Where is your critical eye ?

Nice review. I prefer the 7665, but I might pick this one up off ebay w/o the figures. Could get the ship for at least 50% off that way.

A very good review, NTF. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing.

I feel a little surprised how much effort was put into the minifigs while keeping features of the ship itself in line. I see quite some improvement over the old 7665. After all, the set appears much better in price/content ratio than i expected at first.

I don't like the comics and animated series but not owning the old frigate i might go for this one when the price gets right. You did a great job at showing us it's pros. I woudn't rate it as high as you did but the set clearly is above average, IMO. :wink:

Does your imagination not allow Yoda to use the frigate except for when Lucas specifically says he does?

I would have swapped this Yoda with a second Wolfpack Trooper if this were an option. I think most of us already got him with the AAT and magnetset, I didn´t need a third one.

I prefer it when the figures are fitting to the set and not just randomly picked out of a hat. The frigate could also have been used for a "Death Trap" figure collection with some clone cadets, child Boba Fett, Clone Drill sergeant and Admiral Killian. Or for a full on "Grievous´ intrigue"-theme with Eeth Koth, Horn Company troopers, Adi Gallia, and maybe even some villains like the Tactical droid with red color scheme and Commando droids.

Always getting figures depending of how the marketing departements dice are rolling makes recreating scenes or episodes just harder. This ship had no really noteworthy appearances, always as some piece of background or for getting characters in or out of the episodes plot and then disappearing. The Wolfpack would have been more useful in a Battlepack or a playset like Seperatist fortress from the "Padawan Lost" episode. Quinlan in the "Awesome Smylie Shuttle" and Eeth Koth finally in some 100€ vehicle for the Seperatists like the Recusant-cruiser of Grievous from the Intrigue episode or if this is too risky the Arquitens-class cruiser from the same episode.

Does this Yoda have a darker torso than the previous version it looks as if he does.

Exactly the same as the last few releases.

You mention a bomb storage, does that mean there is a bomb dropping mechanism as well?

The bombs are stored in the left room of the ship, the mechanism itself is in the middle, the hinge lid. Bombs are dropped by pulling the black technic pole, sticking out of the left side of the ship.

C'mon ! Where is your critical eye ?

Did you find something to be critical about? As a representation of the Charger retrofit it does its job right. I could give it 0 points regarding the accuracy to the scource material since it is not nearly as big as it should be and only includes one figure having anything to do with the ship, but noone uses this category. The only crticism I hear of the ship also regards how ugly TCW-stile figures are or how one doesn´t care about TCW ship/sets. Incorporating that would be like asking why there aren´t any handguns in Belville sets: You obviously have chosen the wrong category.

P.S. When I think about it: the roof of the side-rooms always breaks off of at least one of the click-hinges. They should have used old fashioned handles instead of hinges with lockings.

Edited by Navy Trooper Fenson

Thanks for the review Navy Trooper Fenson :thumbup:

I'm really looking forward to building this and comparing it to the previous version.

I love the four exclusive minifigures, another two jedi Quinlan Vos and Eeth Koth ,

and Commander Wolffe and a wolfpack trooper. I also hope the last mentioned will (re-)appear

in a battlepack or cheaper set for the army builders.

The hologram of Darth Sidious is a very nice surprise, although it's weird he is in this set.

Maybe this is going to happen in season IV of TCW?

Those new lightsabers from Pick-a-Brick will be a definite buy after seeing how wonderfull they look. :wub:

Maybe TLC would give some inside on what the reason is for using stickers (for the Open Circle Fleet) when printed parts seem to be available because they appear in already released sets.

As for the 'flickfire missiles':

I like to think of them as part of the turret as a barrel rather than as a missile.

Edited by Future74

Nice review! :classic:

I agree that one of the best pieces of the set is the new Emperor hologram cylinder. However, I think Lego should release the trophy piece from the Collectable Figure line in trans-blue for holograms...It's the perfect size with the right amount of detail...

-Derek

Nice review! :classic:

I agree that one of the best pieces of the set is the new Emperor hologram cylinder. However, I think Lego should release the trophy piece from the Collectable Figure line in trans-blue for holograms...It's the perfect size with the right amount of detail...

-Derek

That's a good idea. It would be more fitting, wouldn't it. The holograms in the movies/show are just shrunken down versions of themselves, so that'd be perfect. And, it'd be cool to get one in the trans blue color.

Good looking set. Shame I already have the two previous Corellian cruisers. But those Jedi minifigs. Decisions, decisions.

I think it's a pretty nice set with lots of great parts to have... but for a price... which is too high for me...

Thanks for the excellent review! This set has been on the top of my wants list for months now and the more I see it in other countries the more jealous I get :tongue: m].

I wish there were Wolffepack troopers in a battlepack, they are pretty cool figures, and I am beginning to like how TLG seems to be boosting the design and detail on the clones (hopes for leg printing on all figs).

This is certainly a must get, awesome set. Thanks!

Quinlan Vos is pretty ugly if you ask me. Eeth Koth is pretty nice. The only thing I really don't like about him is RUBBERY hairpiece. TLG is saving money. Aayla Secura is my favourite jedi minifig because her hairpiece is made of solid plastic.