roamingstop

Challenge: Electric Steam Locos

I saw this on a link elsewhere (theregister.co.uk) and thought it would be quite interesting for those building steam locomotives but wanting the benefits of electric. Ahem

http://www.douglas-s...ec/swisselc.htm

A unique- and apparently lunatic- locomotive scheme was to generate steam by electric heating. This appears to make no sense; having gone to all the trouble and expense of electrifying a railway line, to use the power to run a steam engine with its less-than-impressive efficiency, rather than simple electric motors, seems demented.

It was not. There was (as usual) a good reason.

swisselec6.jpg

So who will be the first to add overheads to their nice old 0-6-0 locomotives; or indeed reinvigorate the 12V standard 7727 and 7730

Edited by roamingstudio

Weird and wonderful. So strange it has to be true...

Won't be building one any time soon though.

It has actually been built in lego by a French AFOL. I have one rather bad photo (with the same reference) of it :

8181372613_3c99d12c6a_d.jpg

I'm actually quite annoyed: the closeup I made is so blurry I can't even recognize it is a locomotive... One thing is that the white bit is actually part of a chain of ice cones to simulate steam/smoke coming from the smokestack...

Edited by Frank STENGEL

Those French... always beating the British. Actually it might be possible to find out who did it va these forums and flickR accounts.

Well.. that's an interesting loco..

The Lego Loco looks like it turned out pretty good. From what I can see, it matches up with the photographed loco well.

A small part of me thinks that in a year or so, this type of engine will somehow make it into the "Thomas & Friends" show. Help us all.

I know its stupid to reply but i know why they did this. The railways did not have enough coal so they used steam locomotives with electric stuff in it as a main power source. There was always a small fire in the firebox so if there were no overhead wires they could just use steam. A very clever solution in my opinion.