You sound like my manager ;)

"Can you have that ready for deployment by Monday? I know we haven't done any requirements or design, but you should be able to handle it..." ;-)

For Technic AFOLs, here are some interesting statistics that Rebrickable.com has on Lego Technic sets.

NUMBER OF SETS PER YEAR:

setyear001.png

PART TYPE DISTRIBUTION:

pc001.png

AVERAGE PARTS PER SET PER YEAR:

setpcpyr001.png

COLOR DISTRIBUTION:

pct001.png

CONCLUSIONS:

1) The number of Lego Technic sets released each of the past few years has been holding steady at 10.

2) About two-thirds of the Lego Technic parts used are either black or grey. :poke::vader:

Edited by DLuders

For Technic AFOLs, here are some interesting statistics that Rebrickable.com has on Lego Technic sets.

CONCLUSIONS:

1) The number of Lego Technic sets released each of the past few years has been holding steady at 10.

2) About two-thirds of the Lego Technic parts used are either black or grey. :poke::vader:

Thanks David. FYI I have plans for completely rewriting all those stats to be much prettier and more interactive. Stay tuned :wink:

I'm new to this whole Lego Technic community( actually still have no lego, parts are on the way).

I wanted to thank you for the amazing website that Rebrickable.com is, it helped me a lot with the research for a MOC that I decided to make as my first, based on the sets I bought.

I was really wondering why it doesn't have more MOCs on it, or more great builders don't have their work posted, but now I understand as it is new and still needs time to grow!

I was really wondering why it doesn't have more MOCs on it, or more great builders don't have their work posted, but now I understand as it is new and still needs time to grow!

Welcome to the forum :sweet:,Rebrickable's moc's relies on the creator's of there moc's taking the time to make instructions weather that is photo instructions or paper instructions,which takes a lot of time to do.

I do believe Technicmad is always being sent new mocs to add to his site. :classic:

Welcome to the forum :sweet:,Rebrickable's moc's relies on the creator's of there moc's taking the time to make instructions weather that is photo instructions or paper instructions,which takes a lot of time to do.

I do believe Technicmad is always being sent new mocs to add to his site. :classic:

Correct. I have a large backlog of MOCs I want to add but have not had the time. I added the self submit feature to try and improve the process which is helping a lot so far :grin: I have also decided to accept any LDD/MPD files without separate building instructions, as not too many designers take the time to create instructions.

title.png

Technicmad (Nathan Thom) has made these recent enhancements to his Rebrickable website -- ENHANCED PART DETAILS and MOC DIGITAL FILE UPLOADING. :thumbup: Click on the images below to enlarge them. He wrote,

"ENHANCED PART DETAILS"

"I have now created pages dedicated to each part so that more details can be shown, that cannot fit on the smaller part details popup. For example part ID 3023:

partdetails1-300x217.jpg

"Each page shows a larger and higher quality image of the part in its most common color; some basic statistics; and a timeline graph showing the history of the part’s releases. In the bottom panel, it shows all the colors that part has been released in and how many sets it appears in.

"When you click on a specific color, it will expand and display a list of all sets and MOCs that use that colored part. MOCs are highlighted yellow while sets that you own are highlighted green. Clicking on the set id will take you to the appropriate set catalog page.

partdetails21-300x204.jpg

"You can access these new pages via a new link on the part popup, or clicking the small part image.

partpopup-300x177.jpg

"I have tried to come up with a design that allows for quick and easy access to the information you might be seeking, while also providing a quick response by only pulling back the minimum amount of data required. I’m still not 100% happy with the design so if anyone has any ideas I’m all ears." icon_smile.gif

"MOC DIGITAL FILE UPLOADING"

"I have released an enhancement to the MOC Designer page where you can submit your own MOC’s to be indexed on Rebrickable. You can now upload your 3D CAD files and Rebrickable will automatically extract the required parts from the file, so you don’t have to manually find them all. From there you can make any adjustments necessary before submission. This process supports MPD/LDR,/L3B as well as LDD/LXF files.

"1. On the MOC Designer page, in the Parts Inventory panel, choose your file and click the Add link to upload and process it. This file will not be made publicly available to users. It is deleted when processing has finished.

design1-300x139.jpg

"2. The site will process your file and display its progress along with any warnings or errors that need further attention. In this example there were a lot of parts that used the color “Very Light Bluish Gray” in the LDD file, but they probably should have been “Light Bluish Gray”. Rebrickable warned about these because it could not find any other sets with those parts in that color. It will also highlight things such as unknown parts and sub-parts which could not be automatically combined into their full assemblies.

design21-300x241.jpg

"3. You can correct the problems by clicking on a part, for example the 6536 connector. This part has never been released in Very Light Bluish Gray so it does not even show in the colors drop down selection. You can choose the appropriate color (most popular ones are at the top) and click “Save Changes”.

design3-300x187.jpg

"4. If you need to add extra parts that did not get loaded automatically, you can still use the Part Picker. Find the part you require, choose a color and a quantity and click “Add to My MOC”. Since you can only have one MOC in progress at a time, it will automatically add it to the right one.

design4-300x169.jpg

"5. That’s it! Just submit the MOC for approval as per normal and I will release it as soon as possible. icon_smile.gif Since this file processing capability may be useful for other purposes, I’m interested in hearing any suggestions from people. Would there be any use for a more generic tool that isn’t tied in with submitting MOCs?"

Edited by DLuders

I have a suggestion for the website.

When you pick a MOC to build you have 3 options for the missing parts: Exact, Close and Ignore color.

The issue I have is If I already have some of the parts I don't care if it's the wrong color and I pick Ignore to get the smallest number of missing parts but then the list of missing parts I get are in Unknown color.

It would be great to get the missing parts in the color needed for the MOC, or an option to switch from exact to unknown color but just for the missing parts

I have a suggestion for the website.

When you pick a MOC to build you have 3 options for the missing parts: Exact, Close and Ignore color.

The issue I have is If I already have some of the parts I don't care if it's the wrong color and I pick Ignore to get the smallest number of missing parts but then the list of missing parts I get are in Unknown color.

It would be great to get the missing parts in the color needed for the MOC, or an option to switch from exact to unknown color but just for the missing parts

I have thought about this briefly before but didn't like the complexity it introduced. eg if the MOC requires 2x red, 3x blue, 5x green bricks and you have 3x red and 1x yellow, it will say you are missing 6x unknown color bricks. To then switch back to using colors, which colors in this example should it say are missing?

iv been looking at the moc for the front snow blower for 8110 on rebrickable but i cant seem to download the file its just coming up lots of numbers,can u look at this for me please?the attachment for the spreader works fine as i downloaded it.

@ davidmull: I just downloaded Cypr21's LDraw .ldr file for the 8110 Front Snowblower attachment from that Rebrickable webpage. I right-clicked on the hyperlink and did a "Save target as..." on my computer.

Still not working for me :( I downloaded the spreader with no problems so I don't understand what's wrong!

Still not working for me :( I downloaded the spreader with no problems so I don't understand what's wrong!

The bunch of numbers you see is the textual representation of the LDraw model. You tried opening the file on MLCad, LDView or other LDraw program instead of LDD, right? :wink:

Edited by AVCampos

The bunch of numbers you see is the textual representation of the LDraw model. You tried opening the file on MLCad, LDView or other LDraw program instead of LDD, right? :wink:

Yes i just opened it with LDView. its not as good instructions as i have had with the LDD.

Can it be opened in LDD?

Yes i just opened it with LDView. its not as good instructions as i have had with the LDD.

Can it be opened in LDD?

You can convert the LDraw file to LDD (see http://www.ldraw.org/Article504.html ) but it might not always work as LDD has a lot more restrictions in terms of which parts/colors are available and how they can be oriented.

As for the LDR file opening directly inside the browser instead of downloading, that is something I will try to fix on the server.

Edited by technicmad

You can convert the LDraw file to LDD (see http://www.ldraw.org/Article504.html ) but it might not always work as LDD has a lot more restrictions in terms of which parts/colors are available and how they can be oriented.

As for the LDR file opening directly inside the browser instead of downloading, that is something I will try to fix on the server.

Ok thanks,let us know if u get it fixed,

Ok thanks,let us know if u get it fixed,

I think it's fixed now, it's a bit hard for me to test properly where I am now. You will probably have to clear your browser cache before trying again.

Apparently Lego has a new intiative called Rebrick, and I can see Rebrickable getting confused with it. Rebrickable is an awesome resource and I'd hate to lose it./

I did some googling and found that Rebrick used to be at octopus.lego.com but that is redirecting to http://rebrick.lego.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f.

Edited by Taiphun

Apparently Lego has a new intiative called Rebrick, and I can see Rebrickable getting confused with it. Rebrickable is an awesome resource and I'd hate to lose it./

I did some googling and found that Rebrick used to be at octopus.lego.com but that is redirecting to http://rebrick.lego.com/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f.

I'm not sure how this will affect Rebrickable :look: The actual site contents should be pretty different from what I can piece together, but confusing the name is bound to cause some loss of traffic. TLG registered that domain name back in 2004 and have only now decided to use it :sad:

Wow thats a bummer. Do you think Lego did it on purpose?

tim

Highly unlikely. But I wonder if I should start thinking of a different name now. On the other hand, TLG might shut it down in 6 months time.

I would do nothing if I were you, until you hear from a Lego lawyer/representative.

It might be wise to come up with a new name though, just in case.

I would do nothing if I were you, until you hear from a Lego lawyer/representative.

It might be wise to come up with a new name though, just in case.

It was quite painful trying to come up with that one in the first place, it turns out I'm not very imaginative... How about thatsitethatshowsyouwhatyoucanbuildfromyourexistingsetsandpartsohandithasmocsandstatsandstufftoo.com :)

It was quite painful trying to come up with that one in the first place, it turns out I'm not very imaginative... How about thatsitethatshowsyouwhatyoucanbuildfromyourexistingsetsandpartsohandithasmocsandstatsandstufftoo.com :)

I don't know, wouldn't that be a little hard to remember?!

-> :wink: <- !!!