On a scale of 1 to 5  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

Is this really an issue for you? Just for kicks, I Googled "LEGO Baseplate" and found various sizes displayed, not just roadplates and the large thin variety. I think the word baseplate is a generic term than can apply to any plate that one builds upon. I did mention the dimensions in my review and I think most understand that Syn is referring to these plates.

I do think that the common usage of the term baseplate is for the thin plates that most sets come with. What's use in this set, and the log cabin for example, is a regular plate used as a baseplate.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Clearly this is insanely important to you. I was just offering a minor correction to improve the accuracy and usefulness of an otherwise fantastic review. You are entitled to your "opinion" but when people start searching bricklink for "baseplate" and cannot find the element you are describing they can thank you for changing the meaning of words.

If, in my opinion, there is no "dark tan" colour I should be permitted to call it "toffee" or whatever I wish in a review or article or discussion on a LEGO-related forum? I suppose so, but it would still be inaccurate and misleading for people.

A plate used as a base is not necessarily a baseplate. I'm sorry if such simple grammar is too advanced.

Technically, "dark tan" isn't officially called dark tan. It's called "Sand Yellow" by TLG. But it is indeed an excellent way of demonstrating the point, because people will continue to call it dark tan, and it's largely a matter of perspective whether you consider that an accurate name, and which name you prefer to use (the more official one, the more familiar one to fans, or a name of your own that you consider most suitable).

There are other colors with even more diverse names-- Bright Light Orange to a Bricklink user is Flame Yellowish Orange to a LEGO designer or LDD user and Keetorange to a BIONICLE fan. Trans-Medium Blue to a Bricklink user may be Transparent Ice Blue (or sometimes just "ice blue") to a BIONICLE fan and Transparent Fluorescent Blue to a LEGO designer. A BIONICLE fan's Metru Brown is Bricklink's Dark Flesh and TLG's Brown. And let's not even get into all the names for TLG's Medium Nougat...

With baseplates, I think the matter is also a very subjective one. A plate (that is to say, thinner than a brick) used as a base can technically be called a baseplate without being inaccurate. And in a review like this, I don't think there's any problem calling it one since that is what it is used for. However, it is somewhat misleading to use a term that is contrary to the terminology used by almost all other people who are in situations where they have to describe LEGO parts or identify them from a description. TLG officially calls the thinner ones base plates, and Bricklink calls them baseplates, but that doesn't mean that calling a thicker, 3.2mm plate a "baseplate" is inaccurate as long as the context shows what part you're referring to.

Clearly this is insanely important to you. I was just offering a minor correction to improve the accuracy and usefulness of an otherwise fantastic review. You are entitled to your "opinion" but when people start searching bricklink for "baseplate" and cannot find the element you are describing they can thank you for changing the meaning of words.

If, in my opinion, there is no "dark tan" colour I should be permitted to call it "toffee" or whatever I wish in a review or article or discussion on a LEGO-related forum? I suppose so, but it would still be inaccurate and misleading for people.

A plate used as a base is not necessarily a baseplate. I'm sorry if such simple grammar is too advanced.

A base is what you build off, a plate is the name the flat leo parts are called. I call for flats or tiles (flats have studs y'see, but tiles are smoooth) I call the plate I build off a base plate and I call the flat floppy ones MOC death (when hacked off at them) or Big Grey, Green/Blue or 16x16. Roadplate is a roadplate.

We all have words we use for parts and colours, often a relic of our cildhood. I for one have a dislike of the classification system used on Bricklink as it is near impossible to find some parts short of searching through a set you knew it came in. (Notto mention the search algorithms). So what a tragic disaster if someone is momentarilty inconveninced by a misnamed part... Not that knowing the umpteen million different names helps when the search bar on bricklink ignores you.

So, can you drop the subject now?

Great Review! I love the close-up, in-your-face view of the build I'm looking forward to this set, I could always use more white and red. So many sets are out now and I just can't afford them all. I wish the Battle of Alamut, HQ in Alien Conquest and this were cheaper...

My only complaint is that the set has no fishing pole. I have yet to have one. =/

I just picked this set up today at my local Lego store. It's a pretty good deal for $40 if you ask me. Lego has always been a little expensive but when they do special models like this they tend to cost much more. I hope they keep producing more "special" themes like this around the $40 range. Many of the costly sets are very very cool (ie- Pet Shop, Maersk Train, Emerald night train etc) but as we know they tend to start around the $150 range. Kudos to Lego and keep up the great work!

A base is what you build off, a plate is the name the flat leo parts are called. I call for flats or tiles (flats have studs y'see, but tiles are smoooth) I call the plate I build off a base plate and I call the flat floppy ones MOC death (when hacked off at them) or Big Grey, Green/Blue or 16x16. Roadplate is a roadplate.

We all have words we use for parts and colours, often a relic of our cildhood. I for one have a dislike of the classification system used on Bricklink as it is near impossible to find some parts short of searching through a set you knew it came in. (Notto mention the search algorithms). So what a tragic disaster if someone is momentarilty inconveninced by a misnamed part... Not that knowing the umpteen million different names helps when the search bar on bricklink ignores you.

So, can you drop the subject now?

Wow!! Are we really getting upset over terminology? C'mon guys!

Absolutely wonderful review, as always. :classic:

I hadn't run across this set yet; I guess it was just released? This Creator line really has a lot of appeal, with great secondary models as well. I picked up the Log Cabin last week, and liked it so much that I went out and picked up a second set to build one of the other models as a neighbor in the vacation-home section of my nascent city layout. I think I might have to do the same with this Lighthouse; the lighthouse itself looks great, but the boat house has a lot of appeal as well.

Great review, this will look very nice together with my mirrored marina and the 2 boat sets :thumbup: . $40 is an absolute steal, however I live in the Uk where it is a very odd £41...? :wacko:

I hate that some countries get LEGO much cheaper than others. :hmpf_bad:

This is definitely going on my shopping list! :classic: