cavegod

UCS Sandcrawler

Corrrect brickdoctor,

the treads are mounted to turntables and then 8 tooth gears, and that axle with the bevels will go through a gearbox with worm drive :thumbup:

Avoid 8t. They break easily with high torque.

Looking fantastic so far Cavegod! I like the detailing you've added on the small interior section in the centre. There's definitely some subtle differences between yours' and marshal_bananas'. Did you end up going for random brick picking between brown & reddish brown? - Whatever you did it's certainly working. :wub:

Hi Cavegod. A good update. But there are some points I would change:

The biggest one:

-There is a fault in your chassis if you compare to this picture. Just the crawlers are connected to the main body and there should be a gab between the block (Starboard boarding gear) in the centre:

5354700100_3cacaef9cb_b.jpg

-The corridor in the middle of the sandcrawler should end up in a curve and not straight.

-I'm not sure about the mix of old and new brown (but that's maybe the flashlight) but for the rust I would take 1x1 or 1x2 darkorange plates. The 1x4 gives you a less accurate pattern.

Cheers! MB

Edited by marshal_banana

The biggest one:

-There is a fault in your chassis if you compare to this picture. Just the crawlers are connected to the main body and there should be a gab between the block (Starboard boarding gear) in the centre:

-The corridor in the middle of the sandcrawler should end up in a curve and not straight.

i was using this as my guide to the underneath:

2006_0101Xwing0014.jpg

if it's good enough for the scale modelers it's good enough for me lol

yes the corridor should curve towards the back but i have gone for straight i may change it but call it artistic licence.

have you seen the price of 1x1 drk orange plates? i can use 1x2's obvioulsy end on to the same effect but then i may as well just directly copy yours? i may add some orange and light orange in there as well and see how that looks.

i've just realised i am going to need a technic frame to hold the cockpit area up! also the whole top is gonna have to be removable for access to batteries and the like.

i also see your point about the reddish brown being all different shades! stands out more with the flash but does give it the variation that the origonal has.

Well with one side 98% complete and the other side 20% i hooked a front crawler assembly up and turned on the power.

So with only one crawler and the rest of the body just resting on the worksurface it managed to drag itself forward with 1 large pf motor, so i have no doubts that it will move with 4 motors, my steering system works aswell so alls looking good!

just got to figure out how to power the front ramp and whatever else i decide to power.

So with only one crawler and the rest of the body just resting on the worksurface it managed to drag itself forward with 1 large pf motor, so i have no doubts that it will move with 4 motors, my steering system works aswell so alls looking good!

Good work! I did the same test with two crawlers powered, with the same result! :thumbup:

Yay! :sweet: Now I absolutely cannot wait to see the next WIP entry. *cough*with video*cough*

Haha, if Cavegod does make a Vid it should include his crawler running over 3P0 so we can compare with Marshalls vid :laugh:

how about it runs over a chrome 3PO?

Haha, if Cavegod does make a Vid it should include his crawler running over 3P0 so we can compare with Marshalls vid :laugh:

If cavegod's runs over Jar-Jar instead, I'll declare his video the winner over Marshall's. :wink:

*huh* You don't by anything system, do you?

Will be brick-building any of the droids, like what TLG tried to do? That would be a nice touch.

nope no system sets :laugh:

yeah i will have a good selection of droids and wreckage type stuff and if i feel in the mood i may splash out on a few Jawa's

one side is now finished and 1/3 of the other side is done also, i have no idea what the left side should look like so i have made it up (artistic licence!)

still to do is the front, top and back end plus finish the crawler assemblies. i have corrected the access hatches to curve towards the rear.

Still to do is the pf lights on the front and pf powered front ramp to open and close, i have also decided to have the repulsor tubes used for sucking droids to move up and down, although i see no benefit from this as you can't suck an R2 unit up them.

I will post a few pictures later.

Very nice job, cavegod. :thumbup: I see those two corridors - how much of an interior do you plan to have?

Look at the beast! :wub: Looking great cavegod! :thumbup:

Yeah, I second Doc's question, about the interior.

CF

it will have the front area only the rest of the space inside will be for battery boxes and pf parts, and fresh air to save weight.

ok another update!

The left side

5558891043_99e17bc7e2_z.jpg

5558895731_044c5e7d9f_z.jpg

The right side boarding ramp

5558900337_f66914df6f_z.jpg

5559480544_6a95bb1bed_z.jpg

The revised boarding ramp on the left side

5559471470_3574df02f8_z.jpg

5559471470_3574df02f8_z.jpg

The front ramp

5558904647_57fe3f77cc_z.jpg

5559484990_faaca7bfb5_z.jpg

The top with battery box access

5558909085_331ced61e3_z.jpg

5559466594_6da0991633_z.jpg

Nice work as always, cavegod, although I'm still not sure about the mix of browns. Have to wait 'til it's finished to decide which one I like better, though.

Nice work as always, cavegod, although I'm still not sure about the mix of browns. Have to wait 'til it's finished to decide which one I like better, though.

the camera makes the browns look strange for some reason in RL they look fine, most of the different browns are all reddish brown!

WOW! Can't believe I managed to miss this update (too busy causing trouble). This looks HUGE - somehow looks bigger than marshal_bananas' probably because there's no background on his latest image. There's really so much difference in the tones of reddish brown or is that down to the camera too?

Still can't wait to see this finished - looking awesome so far.

i've got one! lol

BTW you wouldn't be interested in donating this to a charity that helps potato-headed AFOLs re-grow their hair would you?