Brickaholic

Eurobricks Community Build-Lego County

I was wondering when someone else would try this, and that person is now on a break :look:

I will keep my eyes on this, and possibly have a crack somewhere down the track (once I finish moving house).

Though with an awesome crew already signing up, and Thrash working on the Map, Im sure this will prove a success.

Good luck all and remember to have fun sharing the community spirit :wink:

EDIT: One thing I am still confused about, Is this bricks only or are digital entries allowed? I notice a few people opting for digital creations.

Cheers

Like ISC, I'm pretty busy right now, but once things slow down I'd love to put something together for this. :classic:

It's looking like an excellent project and I can't wait to see some of the modules. :thumbup:

Earlier, I mentioned the idea of breaking the larger buildings (mostly skyscrapers in the central business district), so now I've made a little chart to illustrate my point:

skyscraper.jpg

1 would be the lobby for whatever is in the upper floors

3 and 4 would be tiny shops

2, 6, and 7 would be slightly larger shops, restraunts, etc.

5 would be an even larger shop, maybe a grocery store

8, 9, 10, and however many other floors we wanted would be the upper levels of the building. If it's a hotel, the floor would be hotel rooms, indoor pools, exercise rooms, and whatever else goes in a hotel. If it's an office building, each floor could be the office space of a different company.

Obviously, for the upper floor, we could have to have a standard color and pattern for the outer walls.

If we do it this way, I think it would allow for us to have really giant, awesome skyscrapers in our town without any one person having to have enough bricks to build something 100 bricks tall on a 64x64 base. We could maybe have 3 or 4 of these buildings...a hotel, an office building, and a government building.

The modules on the ground floor could be 1 or 2 stories high, depending on what everyone wants. Personally, I think that two would be best.

What do you guys think of this?

~Thrash

Earlier, I mentioned the idea of breaking the larger buildings (mostly skyscrapers in the central business district), so now I've made a little chart to illustrate my point:

[snip]

~Thrash

I think that's brilliant and well thought out. Thanks for the help. That will definitely be part of what we decide on for this project.

I believe we already discussed the point regarding digital building and reached the conclusion that this Community Build will be bricks only, with no digital entries accepted. You are, however, more than welcome to make your own digital creations inspired by this project and then share them with us!

Regarding Thrash's layout plan - that really is a cool idea, however it only applies to "huge" skyscraper buildings... and pretty much leads this entire project in a whole new direction. If I'm right, you're suggesting that every one of us builds just one floor or even one module of the skyscraper... Which is really a very nice idea, but bearing in mind that a big percentage of the people who are taking part in this community build will not actually be able to meet up, I find this a bit useless - since we'll never be able to actually "construct" the whole thing together. Of course, for the ones of you who can and are planning to go to the same conventions - that is an awesome creation to show off and I'm certain that it would look absolutely breathtaking.

For now I think we should work on planning those zones and coming up with a map... We WILL be needing more entries in order to draw up an initial layout plan for the map though.

Edited by Asya & Bobby Otters

I think the Skyscraper idea is a great idea as one part of this project. Regardless of whether or not people be able to get together with their modules.

But of course skyscrapers are only one part of a city, I know there's lots of people here who also want to build fancy row buildings with roofs or completely separate buildings. Personally I like both, and think they should both be part of this same Community Build process.

I think that's brilliant and well thought out. Thanks for the help. That will definitely be part of what we decide on for this project.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! :classic:

Regarding Thrash's layout plan - that really is a cool idea, however it only applies to "huge" skyscraper buildings... and pretty much leads this entire project in a whole new direction. If I'm right, you're suggesting that every one of us builds just one floor or even one module of the skyscraper... Which is really a very nice idea, but bearing in mind that a big percentage of the people who are taking part in this community build will not actually be able to meet up, I find this a bit useless - since we'll never be able to actually "construct" the whole thing together. Of course, for the ones of you who can and are planning to go to the same conventions - that is an awesome creation to show off and I'm certain that it would look absolutely breathtaking.

For now I think we should work on planning those zones and coming up with a map... We WILL be needing more entries in order to draw up an initial layout plan for the map though.

Even if we can't get together, we could still have a collection of pictures that would allow people to go on a sort of virtual tour through the skyscraper.

Funny you should mention coming up with a map...

I think the Skyscraper idea is a great idea as one part of this project. Regardless of whether or not people be able to get together with their modules.

But of course skyscrapers are only one part of a city, I know there's lots of people here who also want to build fancy row buildings with roofs or completely separate buildings. Personally I like both, and think they should both be part of this same Community Build process.

Thanks Aliencat! Hopefully this layout that I've come up with will incorporate both...

cityplan.jpg

34 would be a park.

33, 42, and 46 would be entrances to their respective skyscrapers.

The rest would be modules of varying heights. The modules at the bottom of skyscrapers won't have rooves, while all of the other modules will. Zoning restrictions can be added pretty easily.

How does it look?

~Thrash

Perhaps someone could do a park on this baseplate. I could do it, as my town is in need of a good park. I would try to include:

Fountain in the Middle

Snack Bar

Benches

Green areas, for playing in the park

and alot of foliage and tree's.

However, if someone else wants to do a park, then please do.

Great job Thrash! I love the idea of the skyscraper. Just to clarify, Asya and Bobby Otters, when did we all agree that no digital entries will be allowed? I don't see why they shouldn't be........ Also Thrash, I think you are forgetting a key part for the skyscraper-Elevators. I think a 16x16 or a 32x16 area should be set aside on each floor, in the same location for elevators. Kind of like the hallways in the EBCCB. BtCM, I think that we should be able to have as many people that want allowed to build the same module. Let me know what you guys think.

That baseplate is 48x48 studs, whereas the park on the plan is 64x64 studs! it'd be easier to use 4 32x32 green baseplates. It'll be more expensive for the baseplates but you'll save on green bricks! Baseplate maths is really helping my 16 times table, thanks Lego.

Your ideas for a park sound great. Maybe a basketball or tennis court would break up the green. There's only so much space you can fill with paths, plants and trees :tongue:

I'd love to build a warehouse/parcel depot for square one. I'm short on funds at the moment and it's a bit of a big'un for LDD so I'll graciously allow anyone who wants that idea to have it. For a small fee of course :grin:

Laurie

Ricecracker, wasn't the whole idea of this one to actually build these things and potentially see how they look next to each other? Oh well, I might have gotten it wrong. In any case, I think I'll just wait and see how this whole thing develops...

Ricecracker, wasn't the whole idea of this one to actually build these things and potentially see how they look next to each other? Oh well, I might have gotten it wrong. In any case, I think I'll just wait and see how this whole thing develops...

It was, but why should we exclude digital entries that can augment real models if, like you said, we probably aren't going to be able to put them all together. Take this for example; You are building a 3D florist's shop. If someone else were to also want to make one, but had a lack of bricks, why should we stop them from making one on a computer, and have them include it? I hope I'm not coming off as rude, because I certainly am not trying to.

I really like the way this is progressing. We've already got so many great ideas and hopefully this will continue as more people join in.

I'd suggest making this a perpetual project - that could be added to indefinitely. That way the community could continue to add creations to it - a bit like a virtual layout. The reason I suggest this is that it would make the project more accessible to anyone and quite a few people (myself included) have cited time-restrictions as being an issue at present.

Nice work with the map Thrash! :thumbup: It's beginning to take shape already. However, I'd rather see this be a building-led project (as opposed to planning-led) so the MOCs which are actually built are then turned into a map, rather than the map dictating what everyone can build.

There's a lot of scope for this to be epic. We've got off to a good start already and we haven't even factored into the equation police stations, hospitals, fast-food outlets, gyms, corner-shops etc (the list is endless!)

However, I'd rather see this be a building-led project (as opposed to planning-led) so the MOCs which are actually built are then turned into a map, rather than the map dictating what everyone can build.

I actually agree with you, Basiliscus. I would much rather build what I like, and then have it put into a map, than be confined to the restrictions already set out. I think it leaves a lot more room for creativity, which is important.

I hope I'm not coming off as rude, because I certainly am not trying to.

Of course not mate :) Sharing our views and finding common ground is really the way forward!

@ Basiliscus: 100% with you on that, Pedro! Let's get to building ;]

Of course not mate :) Sharing our views and finding common ground is really the way forward!

Ok, good. I just wanted to make sure.

I think that in the true Lego city spirit we should have 5 police stations, 4 firehouses, 16 construction sites, 2 houses and 1 shop. Otherwise it just wouldn't be realistic.

What would people think about there being a slightly silly block? I was thinking about having embassies for different themes, much like the Castle Community Build has embassies for the different castle factions. I thought these could all be on one block so as not to distract from the general realism of the city. They should still be proper buildings though, not trees or ribcages like in the castle build.

I think that made sense... :wacko:

Laurie

Dear Trash,

thanks for your map! :thumbup:

Thanks Hinkley and WhiteFang for keeping this community project alive :classic: ,

while our fearless leader is on a break.

I guess Thrash his map settles the street plates vs Cafe corner debate in favour of option 1:

building1jpg.jpg

Aliencat, I'm really curious what you will be building on the industrial zones.

As far as my MOCs, I only have this firestation at the moment, which would qualify for the standard.

Given I replace the side walk plates by tiles.

15-01-09_1136nr3.jpg

My inspiration is a bit down at the momen.So I will have a long thought of what else I might be able to contribute.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Edited by Teddy

Dear Trash

:tongue:

I think that Option one would be better because it would leave more room for building, rather than road. One could still put sidewalk (Or Juckfozzer) on their module, and it would be longer.

I think that in the true Lego city spirit we should have 5 police stations, 4 firehouses, 16 construction sites, 2 houses and 1 shop. Otherwise it just wouldn't be realistic.

This is very true! :tongue:

What would people think about there being a slightly silly block?

That would be fine by me - no reason why this couldn't be there for added fun value. As long as it remained a distraction rather than the main focus.

I guess Thrash his map settles the street plates vs Cafe corner debate in favour of option 1

Totally agree! :thumbup:

As far as my MOCs, I only have this firestation at the moment, which would qualify for the standard.

Great start mate, hope to see more great stuff from you. Keep up the good work :classic:

The plan that I posted above was by no means meant to be the final plan that we will use, rather I posted it as a starting point so that we could get headed in the right direction in terms of organizing this thing.

I just threw it together quickly as a rough outline of what a plan of the town might look like, I didn't work out every single detail. I tried to include a lot of variation among module sizes so that creativity isn't stunted having to adhere to certain module sizes.

Now that I look at it, the spot I left for Aliencat's building is too large, so there will be room for some extra modules there.

If everyone wants to use it, that's fine with me. It would be easy for me to edit with the program I use to accomodate any changes the community might want. If the community doesn't want to use it at all, that's fine with me too, but I think that without some sort of layout this project will get really out of hand and not have any real direction.

Also, I'm excited to see what plans Hinckley and Whitefang have for this project. They might have something that works way better than my layout. :classic:

~Thrash

Edited by Thrash

I thought I'd post an updated list of the buildings which have already been announced for this community build.

Thanks for that summary. It's nice to see what are the modules that the rest are interested in building. That will be very helpful in the planning. :thumbup:

cityplan.jpg

How does it look?

Thrash, as usual, your mapping capability defintely impress me and with this flexible map of yours, we are able to see things in right perspective and we seemed to have some sense of directon as well. It's nice to see how the discussion is moving right now, with keen particpation from our members. One more thing, thanks for being accomodating to the changes/requests for the map to be updated. :sweet:

Right now, everyone please keep the discussion moving. Although it's not easy to follow up with many raised points and discussion made in this very topic, but we will try to arrange something with your views incorporating in it. At this moment, please give us time to sort out some stuff by piecing it together.

Here's a first little teaser, it's a little detail of one corner of the big factory I'm making:

assemblywip.jpg

More soon, obviously ;)

That's incredible Aliencat! Your work never ceases to amaze me, I can't wait to see the finished product. It already looks very polluting :grin: .

Thrash the layout is looking awesome!

Aliencat, that certainly is a teaser pic, I look forward to how it pans out.

Can't wait to see what others come up with too, keep building the community :thumbup: