Raskolnikov

Build Your Own Plus Size AT-AT

21 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

You're welcome, thanks! 

I did buy 4 printed dishes and try them out on the first plus-size AT-AT I made, but I decided to go with the plain ones in the end.  A less "busy" design seemed to fit the rest of the model better.

On a side note, I'm not going to be able to stop you guys from bending the knees backwards, am I?  Ah well, I tried :)

Ouch.

I think the less busy look is more true to the screen used models.  There's not a whole lot of detail there.

https://flic.kr/p/StAHS9

And the back bent knee makes me cringe as well.

On 2017-02-16 at 4:57 PM, Richpepperell said:

20170216_16291420170216_16295520170216_163004

Which piece(s) did you use for the gun rack and how does it attach to the two jumpers inside?

13 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Which piece(s) did you use for the gun rack and how does it attach to the two jumpers inside?

It just looks like a bank of 1x1 bricks with a side stud all connected by a 1x6 tile.

3 minutes ago, kibosh said:

It just looks like a bank of 1x1 bricks with a side stud all connected by a 1x6 tile.

I know what it looks like but sometimes there is more going on than it seems.  Creating the gun rack is easy, how it connects to the jumpers I don't understand.  I am sure I am missing something simple.

You need the open end of the 1x1 brick so it can connect to the jumper in the ship.  I don't see any way of doing that.

1 hour ago, technic_addict said:

Ok,  I think it must be a 1x6 technic brick with holes with 1/2 pins.

Yep - the answer is disappointingly simple! Does the job though. 

20170307_18380620170307_183818

Ok, I'm not totally inept, but does anyone have any pointers on downloading the parts inventory from Rebrickable and then uploading to Bricklink?  I'm not having any success.  "I'm getting too old for this sort of thing!"  Thanks.

2 hours ago, LL924 said:

Ok, I'm not totally inept, but does anyone have any pointers on downloading the parts inventory from Rebrickable and then uploading to Bricklink?  I'm not having any success.  "I'm getting too old for this sort of thing!"  Thanks.

The easiest way is by going to the model-page of the AT-AT on Rebrickable, then selecting the tab 'Buy Parts' (under the video) and then pressing the button 'Add Parts to BrickLink Wanted List' (make sure your browser isn't blocking the pop-up). Then follow the instructions in the pop-up.

If that for whatever reason doesn't work, you can do it manually by going to the 'Inventory' tab and selecting the button 'Export Parts' and then choose the BrickLink XML format. Then go to Bricklink and manually upload the parts into a wanted list.

Hope that helps :classic:

In other news, I'm preparing a new version of the instructions with a few minor fixes and (maybe) a little higher image quality. Nothing major, but figured I'd let you guys know anyway. :classic:
I expect it to be ready around Friday/Saturday.

6 hours ago, legolijntje said:

In other news, I'm preparing a new version of the instructions with a few minor fixes and (maybe) a little higher image quality. Nothing major, but figured I'd let you guys know anyway. :classic:
I expect it to be ready around Friday/Saturday.

Only a few small mistakes so not even sure it is warranted to be updated, of course, it is appreciated!

Since you will be updating, if the OP is ok with the change and it is not a big deal updating instructions and rebrickable,  I suggest putting the round 2x2 tile on the ankles and removing the jumper.  It looks much more accurate and pretty much everyone is doing it anyways.

Since you will be updating, if the OP is ok with the change and it is not a big deal updating instructions and rebrickable,  I suggest putting the round 2x2 tile on the ankles and removing the jumper.  It looks much more accurate and pretty much everyone is doing it anyways.

OP concurs!

Is the parts list gonna change at all?

Because I already ordered all the parts and I am literally just waiting for the bricklink orders to come in.

Thanks a lot! 

16 hours ago, ZodiacKiller said:

Is the parts list gonna change at all?

Because I already ordered all the parts and I am literally just waiting for the bricklink orders to come in.

Thanks a lot! 

Well, maybe there will be 6 more small blue Technic pins. I'm not sure if only the instructions were missing those or the parts list as well.
And apparently 8x round LBG tiles instead of 8 LBG jumper plates.

But, other than that nothing as far as I know.

1 hour ago, legolijntje said:

Well, maybe there will be 6 more small blue Technic pins. I'm not sure if only the instructions were missing those or the parts list as well.
And apparently 8x round 2x2 LBG tiles instead of 8 LBG jumper plates.

But, other than that nothing as far as I know.

On March 8, 2017 at 0:30 AM, legolijntje said:

The easiest way is by going to the model-page of the AT-AT on Rebrickable, then selecting the tab 'Buy Parts' (under the video) and then pressing the button 'Add Parts to BrickLink Wanted List' (make sure your browser isn't blocking the pop-up). Then follow the instructions in the pop-up.

If that for whatever reason doesn't work, you can do it manually by going to the 'Inventory' tab and selecting the button 'Export Parts' and then choose the BrickLink XML format. Then go to Bricklink and manually upload the parts into a wanted list.

Hope that helps :classic:

Got it - thank you! (was the proverbial popup blocker). Got my parts ordered on BL for $210 USD plus shipping. This MOC looks tremendous!   Can't wait to build it. Will be the greatest UCS that never was!

This is amazing, I took apart my 75054 and am collecting parts from my collection of pieces right now. It will be multicolored at first, as I will build it and then buy the right colors later. The instructions are great, and just from looking at the foot, it will be huge!

Ok, the updated instructions will take a little longer. My LDraw file is a mess, which made updating a little more difficult than I first anticipated, but most of the work is done regarding that.
The thing that's mostly in the way now is a bug in LPub3D :hmpf_bad:
I'll have to find a way to work around it, because I'm not expecting an update soon. It's probably not that much work, but I don't have a lot of time this weekend.

Is there a place I can download an LDD file of this?

A few people were building it in LDD, but I don't know of any finished files.  I know the feet would clip in LDD if all four legs are straight -- not sure if that's the reason or if something else is illegal.  LDD isn't really in my wheelhouse.

In other news, Legolijntje's updated instructions are available for download on the rebrickable page.  No major changes, adds 2x2 round tiles to ankles and fixes some of the ambiguities that people have mentioned.

6 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

A few people were building it in LDD, but I don't know of any finished files.  I know the feet would clip in LDD if all four legs are straight -- not sure if that's the reason or if something else is illegal.  LDD isn't really in my wheelhouse.

In other news, Legolijntje's updated instructions are available for download on the rebrickable page.  No major changes, adds 2x2 round tiles to ankles and fixes some of the ambiguities that people have mentioned.

I was working on it, and had gotten as far as the main body panels, but I haven't checked to see what I lost when my old laptop bit the dust.

I finally received all the parts from Bricklink and started building it today!

So far got to page 47, I completed the 4 legs.

Can't wait to continue tomorrow!

By the way, I think you guys should think about producing an alternate version of this for the AT - ACT.

I think it would be great keeping the same size, legs and head and have a removable orange cargo part.

I know Raskolnikov is busy on getting us a UCS Star Destroyer with interiors, but if he had time for a little side project....... :)

Anyway I will keep you posted on the progress!

Edited by ZodiacKiller

1 hour ago, ZodiacKiller said:

By the way, I think you guys should think about producing an alternate version of this for the AT - ACT.

Exactly what I want to do! That's why I asked for the LDD so I could start MODing right away ;)

Got to page 116, this build gets better and better!

At one point I realized that I put the trap door the wrong way and had to go back, but other than that is been a good journey so far.

Having a couple of hours of rest and then I'll get back to building.

BTW, I am soon opening a YouTube channel called "Mamma Mia Bricks", hence why I changed my Username here, and I plan to upload as first video a review of this!

It won't happen till a couple of months, I think, as I am sorting out a microphone and a light box , and I am also still practicing with video editing programs but I am very excited about this project!

BTW, I am soon opening a YouTube channel called "Mamma Mia Bricks", hence why I changed my Username here, and I plan to upload as first video a review of this!

Looking forward to it.  The more family friendly name seems like a good idea, too, lol.  If I had more free time (alas, it seems to be more and more limited), I'd try to do more with YouTube myself.  I've always used Windows moviemaker since it's easy and free, although it has very limited options.

Yes lol this is definitely a better name for a YouTube channel.

So far I got to page 146.

This thing is looking massive, but I am amazed on how durable and sturdy it is.