AussieJimbo

MOD: Pullman "Emerald Belle" Observation Car 10194

I've always been interested in the possible variations of the Emerald Night coach. Having been lucky enough to pick up a few extra sets on special I've had the chance to have a bit of a play.

I was going to start on the various coach classes but the excellent work by CCOOK with his Ultimate Emerald Night has covered that very well already. One thing I did want to do was a British style single-deck observation car. I thought I'd better get in before Mr CCOOK did every conceivable car, even though my effort could still do with a few tweaks.

The Emerald Night coaches are of course based on Pullman coaches so I looked at some of the models on the Hornby website for reference. My design is based on the Pullman "Devon Belle" observation car.

r4436.jpg

http://www.hornby.com/passenger-rolling-stock/r4437/product.html

The challenging area is the rear of the car which, as you can see from the reference picture, is pretty bland in real life. I think it needs some extra details that aren't there in reality to finish it up. I'd value any suggestions.

Here's what I've come up with so far.

Please forgive the quick photos, it's pretty late over here.

emerald.belle.wip.ref (Small).jpg

This MOD includes my first ever custom sticker! (bit of post-it-note scrawled on with texta)

emerald.belle.wip.side (Small).jpg

emerald.belle.wip.top (Small).jpg

Click images for larger versions.

I look forward to your feedback.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Thanks for a great idea and some really useful links... It looks great to see a new carriage car - perhaps giving TLG some ideas for their future add-on packs, although we know that really the chances are slim.

It's... so ugly...

The real thing that is. Your MOC looks fantastic! Has a really open feel to it, as an observation should. The only thing I would say would be to change the 1×6×3 windscreens for 1×2×3 panels instead (except for the one at the back), that way the glass stays flat, and would reflect the seperate windows that makes up the real one.

It's... so ugly...

The real thing that is. Your MOC looks fantastic! Has a really open feel to it, as an observation should.

Thanks mate. I thought you we're about to give me a serve when I started reading.

*laugh*

The original car is a bit of disappointment considering it's part of the Pullman series. You'd think they'd have come up with a more interesting design but it guess it is about opening the car up as much as possible.

I still think it needs something added but I'm a bit stuck for what to do next. One thing I would like to do is extend the dark brown bottom layer around to unify it a little.

The only thing I would say would be to change the 1×6×3 windscreens for 1×2×3 panels instead (except for the one at the back), that way the glass stays flat, and would reflect the seperate windows that makes up the real one.

I would actually do that with 1x4x3 transparent panels if I had them but the windscreens are the only parts I've got to cover than amount of area transparently. I've got plenty of smokey transparent 1x4x3s but it wouldn't look right.

As it is the reference model does have 3 window sections (with the 3 smaller panes above) which sort of matches having 3 panels so I can live with the little indentation.

Glad you like the design, I hope to show you an improved one soon. I might also try the roof profile from the RC cargo train and see how that looks.

If anyone's seen some better looking single deck observation cars please post a pic or link.

Edited by AussieJimbo

Make sure you check out CCOOK's thread, he has some awesome carriages.

True... but I prefer your designs over the club car... and i've seen a nice EN cargo wagon with sliding doors from a Moc'er in Switzerland.

Cheers roamingstudio, that's very generous of you.

I've taken some time out to actually play with my trains today so I haven't made any updates. I do however have a nice new layout with a dual track main so I can get a couple of trains running nicely together.

'AussieJ'....AWESOME observation car.....fantastic piece of design work. :grin:

You could try my trick though with the photo stickers and MS paint I guess, but still great work. :thumbup:

Keep on MOCing 'AussieJimbo' ! :grin:

Thanks LT, I'm really glad you like it.

I can assure you that the sticker is one thing that will be improved in the final version no matter what I do with the rest of it.

8-)

Great MOD! This is the design that I believe makes the best last car in an EN train.

You have inspired me to try this as soon as I get a second EN!

Keep it up!

Andy D

You asked for some thoughts on how to improve the design. Some quick ideas which flashed through my head...

Involve making the windows from panels turned 90 degrees to the right. This would require some SNOT work but would allow you to place a 1x4 flat brown brick between the 'glass' panels. At the end to get the slant you could also fit a panel onto a set if hinge blocks, and tilt it back slightly.

However perhaps it is better to take a leaf out of some of the other observation cars which exist, but keeping the Emerald Belle colour line.

A nice tour carriage...

observation_car2.jpg

Devon Belle from a different perspective

Devon_Belle_Saloon.jpg

Using some curved glass

800px-Kanzelwagen_Henschel-Wegmann-Zug_3.jpg

And a very interesting link to restore car ~14 to the Swanage Railway

http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/news322.htm

(it is close to my parents Home... being an ex Dorset kid)

Great MOD! This is the design that I believe makes the best last car in an EN train.

You have inspired me to try this as soon as I get a second EN!

Keep it up!

Andy D

Thanks Andy D, I'm really glad you like it.

You can find one of the 6-wide vertical windscreen pieces in each of the current train station and passenger train sets.

You asked for some thoughts on how to improve the design. Some quick ideas which flashed through my head...

Involve making the windows from panels turned 90 degrees to the right. This would require some SNOT work but would allow you to place a 1x4 flat brown brick between the 'glass' panels. At the end to get the slant you could also fit a panel onto a set if hinge blocks, and tilt it back slightly.

That's a nice idea which I would try out but I don't have any clear 1x4x3 panels. I took a decision to ignore the slight slant on the rear window because I can't see a way to make it work cleanly.

Thanks very much for those additional links and photos.

I prefer the Devon Belle in that alternate livery in the different angle you posted. Looks more like my model and gives me a little extra inspiration for tweaking. (lantern located above the buffers, slight step at rear above buffers)

Not sure how I'd deal with the rounded glasswork in that blue car. Maybe there are some old transparent curve bricks out there, better check bricklink.

Edited by AussieJimbo

That's a nice idea which I would try out but I don't have any clear 1x4x3 panels. I took a decision to ignore the slight slant on the rear window because I can't see a way to make it work cleanly.

Well, there is a windscreen piece that I remember coming in the old Airport sets that has a similar angle to the picture, but inverted. I believe it is also 6-wide, but might be 4-wide. If you SNOTted it upside-down it could work?

Well you could do something cool with these...

6059.gif - Part 6059

2572pb04.gif - Part 2572pb04

Or take a leaf from the Santa Fe observation car - but is not so nice with thick macaroni bricks

Use the windscreen glass

Or old Space 58181.gifSlope 33 3 x 6 without Inner Walls mounted on its edge (SNOT)

Or 4176.gifWindscreen

(Bricklink -> Catalog -> Search Trans-Clear is really useful!)

Edited by roamingstudio

Thanks for the piece suggestions and links.

6059.gif - Part 6059

2572pb04.gif - Part 2572pb04

Definitely. Two of each with some custom stickers for the window frames and roof would have you well on your way to building one of those blue cars.

Or old Space 58181.gifSlope 33 3 x 6 without Inner Walls mounted on its edge (SNOT)

That one looks the most promising alternative for this car. I was actually looking at Trans-Clear parts on Bricklink but I must have skipped past because I was looking for parts that I currently own.

I'll have a look at those other ideas too.

Edited by AussieJimbo

You can find one of the 6-wide vertical windscreen pieces in each of the current train station and passenger train sets.

Thanks, I got the windscreen pieces and another EN. Now to just build a slightly modified version of your observation car. I am going to try to use another pair (one on each side) of the standard EN windows on the front instead of two of the smaller windows.

Thanks again for the idea.

Later,

Andy D

6059.gif - Part 6059

I have an observation car made with those. It makes for a fairly tall car (taller than the Emerald Night cars).

I have an observation car made with those. It makes for a fairly tall car (taller than the Emerald Night cars).

True. But if you SNOT them...?