Sign in to follow this  
JINZONINGEN73

TROBENJIN

Truth be told, he's been sitting NEAR COMPLETION in my bins and around my house for 2 years.

But after building him, I lost ALOT of motivation to moc.

I guess I liked it so much, I subconsciously thought I couldn't do too much better.

GALLERY:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=147095

trobenjin014.jpg

Suprisingly, that's held on by one stud! I guess everything just worked right there lol. VVV

trobenjin023.jpg

And as this early 2005 gif of the prototype shows, ...swing-out chest guns:

trobenjin006ani.gif

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

That is really cool, and a good use of Bionicle parts too. *wub* I love the animation, although I am a bit unclear how the gun folds in. I had a quick look at your folder too. I love...

soulfeast001.jpg

You're pretty good. *sweet*

Sturdy indeed, While I LOVE alot of the mecha on Brickshelf, the darn things are either tiny, looking only good in thumbnails... or giant, unplayable brick statues.

I go for toys that can be posed. X-D

I'm the same. I don't go for models that can't move much and/or use unstable techniques. If something falls apart when I move it then it is time for a re-design!

looking only good in thumbnails

There have been so many times I was browsing through Brickshelf and I see something that makes me go "wow!". Then after clicking the picture I find that it was just a trick of the light. :'-(

A "realistic" looking Mecha. Looks so sturdy without being fat. That's very hard to achieve with bionicle parts. And only a bit of system to beef up the chest. Say, you're pretty good! Have you done this before?

:-)

Are the knee joints mobile? Or does the posability come only from the ankles?

Do you find the ball joints strong enough to hold the arms and the gun up against gravity? I never had much luck with that. EVen if I doubled up the ball joints. Usually I had to shove paper in the joint,and that only works for a while.

Are the knee joints mobile? Or does the posability come only from the ankles?

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2665896

Very mobile... only now that you mention it, I never took pics of him in his scrunched down, squatting mode. Whoopsie! :-D

Do you find the ball joints strong enough to hold the arms and the gun up against gravity? I never had much luck with that.

Arms, totally. The shoulder is click joints.

Sword, apparently. (That's why the stun sword is so lightly built... elbows are mere ball joints).

But that gun... damn is it ever heavy. Click joints or not.

The next guy I'm working on has click joints everywhere, even the elbows.

EVen if I doubled up the ball joints. Usually I had to shove paper in the joint,and that only works for a while.

X-O Now stop that! Any Lego shortcomings should be answered with better configuration!

The click joints are great. They'll hold a ton. They even supported my Santa of doom a couple of years back. now THAT was a fattie all right. Those joints first came with the big KK figures right? I always thought they were the biggest advance in Mecha building ever.

But I saw the elbows were ball joints, that's why I wondered. Those ones alway frustrated the hell out of me. And I didn't find the "improved" ones, with a bit of rubber in them middle of the socket, did much better.

wow, that's great *y*

Much better design than than the most Exo-force mechs.

Jinzo. Dust the damn thing before posting it would'ja?

Head's a cool idea, but the smoothness doesn't fit in with the rest MOC. The Spacies will have your head for using those pre-made blasters for anything other than greebs, still, they fit well. Seems to suffer from DV syndrome a bit, plus the back is pretty flat. Lower torso is absolutely beautiful, just toss a black 2L TECHNIC tube over that exposed axle and it'd be perfect. Upper arms are on par with the lower torso, but please do Bricklink two more black Metru feet. Lower arms, I don't like, dunno why, just don't. Hands are nice, how would Viking horns on the ends of the 1x1 barrels look? Cover up those exposed ball joints on the upper legs with sockets that's ends of have been secured to the gunmetal panels using the upward-facing holes. Not sure what's up with the trans round tiles, why not black or grey? The straws on the lower legs make the leg look bloated and misshapen from the front. Kneecap structure is well done, if not overly exaggerated. The dark grey 1.5L pins on the gunmetal Inika armor would probably look better pointing inwards, so as not to make those weird bumps, while still filling the holes. The feet are unredeemable, seriously, kill them and start over.

I like it.

It looks like a pretty poseable, and durable mech.

Also, very clever usage of 9v train track contacts in the chest. *y*

Jinzo. Dust the damn thing before posting it would'ja?

:-D I'm bad like that. Then again, dusting off tiny pieces of plastic with deep grooves holding dust that's collected a few years would require... ...oh, looks like someone's got the answer lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7538034@N03/850140781/

1.Head's a cool idea, but the smoothness doesn't fit in with the rest MOC.

2.The Spacies will have your head for using those pre-made blasters for anything other than greebs, still, they fit well.

3.Seems to suffer from DV syndrome a bit, plus the back is pretty flat.

4.Lower torso is absolutely beautiful, just toss a black 2L TECHNIC tube over that exposed axle and it'd be perfect.

5.Upper arms are on par with the lower torso, but please do Bricklink two more black Metru feet.

6.Lower arms, I don't like, dunno why, just don't.

7.Hands are nice, how would Viking horns on the ends of the 1x1 barrels look?

8.Cover up those exposed ball joints on the upper legs with sockets that's ends of have been secured to the gunmetal panels using the upward-facing holes.

9.Not sure what's up with the trans round tiles, why not black or grey?

10.The straws on the lower legs make the leg look bloated and misshapen from the front.

11.Kneecap structure is well done, if not overly exaggerated.

12.The dark grey 1.5L pins on the gunmetal Inika armor would probably look better pointing inwards, so as not to make those weird bumps, while still filling the holes.

13.The feet are unredeemable, seriously, kill them and start over.

1.I've been thinking that since day one (lol) ...but it grew on me too... in fact, I shaped the moc (I thought, anyway) to somewhat jive with it.

2.Well, at least I put cones on'em. I usually hate that too.

3.Not sure which of DV's syndrome's you mean, and the back looks more flat in pics than it actually is.

4.Not a bad idea... though I'm guessing I didn't because there wasn't enough room to.

5.I did, but the doof sent me 2 black Rakshi feet instead... and I was offline, unable to contact him.

>__<

6.Your mom.

7.Out of place. This is just a guy with a weapons fetish, not a monster.

8.Nah, I like them there for some reason. Raising that section up any higher would interfere with the swiveling (or perhaps just the look) of the torso.

9.Only trans disc is in front of his glow in the dark eye, though I think you mean the silver discs.

10.Your mom waitdidthatalready.

11.Well, the moc uses SIX Throwbot engines (Trobenjin, GET IT? Throwbot Engine! lol! So! Funny!) ...so the more one can put on makeup, the better. And I love me hard-point kneecaps on mecha for some reason... knees on robots are such a weak-feeling, Achilles heel thing to me.

12.Nah. He looks big, so I like the look of conduit ports. Backwards, they just be circles cut in half AND each pointing off in all different directions.

13.What's the matter with my little Dutch boy wooden shoe look? X-D

optimus-convoy Posted Today, 02:28 PM

I like it.

It looks like a pretty poseable, and durable mech.

Also, very clever usage of 9v train track contacts in the chest.

Hahaha, you noticed. Initially, I was going to make a moc with a 9V light in it somewhere... instead, I wound up using the part as more of an Evangelion supply cable type dealie.

It seems "powerful"... notice sometimes it's attached to the gun, if no gun, then on the sword arm's wrist, if no sword, presumable power to the boob cannons, etc.

Nice thing too, at a later point in time I can show the same moc off again inside the gallery of a mindless "charge drone" type robot character with the supply cable on his back lol.

I picture a Chigulo type dude running behind him, much like a runty soldier carrying a box of ammunition behind a more heroic, machine-gun toting soldier. :-D

It was a most tricky thing, getting the cable's resistor thing to rest underneath his right shoulder without messing up arm movement.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

:-D I'm bad like that. Then again, dusting off tiny pieces of plastic with deep grooves holding dust that's collected a few years would require... ...oh, looks like someone's got the answer lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7538034@N03/850140781/

1.I've been thinking that since day one (lol) ...but it grew on me too... in fact, I shaped the moc (I thought, anyway) to somewhat jive with it.

2.Well, at least I put cones on'em. I usually hate that too.

3.Not sure which of DV's syndrome's you mean, and the back looks more flat in pics than it actually is.

4.Not a bad idea... though I'm guessing I didn't because there wasn't enough room to.

5.I did, but the doof sent me 2 black Rakshi feet instead... and I was offline, unable to contact him.

>__<

6.Your mom.

7.Out of place. This is just a guy with a weapons fetish, not a monster.

8.Nah, I like them there for some reason. Raising that section up any higher would interfere with the swiveling (or perhaps just the look) of the torso.

9.Only trans disc is in front of his glow in the dark eye, though I think you mean the silver discs.

10.Your mom waitdidthatalready.

11.Well, the moc uses SIX Throwbot engines (Trobenjin, GET IT? Throwbot Engine! lol! So! Funny!) ...so the more one can put on makeup, the better. And I love me hard-point kneecaps on mecha for some reason... knees on robots are such a weak-feeling, Achilles heel thing to me.

12.Nah. He looks big, so I like the look of conduit ports. Backwards, they just be circles cut in half AND each pointing off in all different directions.

13.What's the matter with my little Dutch boy wooden shoe look? X-D

3. True, shelf chest.

5. Kill.

7. But monsters are cooler.

9. Okay then, why are silver disks there?

11. Roborenjin. FAIL.

11. Roborenjin. FAIL.

Hahaha, yeah I know. Only I thought "The Boss" was a Throwbot for a long time lol.

You have to admit, Roborider or Throwbot, they all pretty much looked similar (like pure crap).

X D

7. But monsters are cooler.

What's a monster doing being a serious weapons tester? It'd like... it'd have to be a whole different moc.

3. True, shelf chest.

Now goddamit, there is nothing wrong with having a shelf chest. Imagine if it were raining... there'd be SOME water collecting on top, but it all pretty much would be running off.

9. Okay then, why are silver disks there?

'Cause there was so much black n' dark gray everywhere. :-P

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73