Sign in to follow this  
KotZ

Heroica RPG - Quest #110: Color Me Gone

"And what of my offer, oh enchanter. Is it not feasible?"

sorcerer_calder_den_ii_cu.jpg

"Life has never been feasible, if you ask me," Calder Den signed. "I'd rather not interact with them if I had to."

Carvenhall, It goes against all I believe to aid one who would violate the dead. But I do see wisdom in your proposal. What say you enchanter? Will you act as you speak. If indeed you are a victim here, we will protect you, accept your gold and receive your gems. If you are a fiend we will destroy you and fulfill our contract with the villagers. As YOU say, we are paid to fight, but I would prefer to aid righteous as we find them.

"I am in the right. Nobody was here when I came to this island, only the plants and animals. I respectfully took from the land and gave back and cared. When I realized how despicable the Tridentians were, I had to do this. I thought slowly taking away their source of income would work, but no I had to turn what they loved, their people and livelihoods, against them, even if those people were dead or dying, like what happened to the captain. It's why I had him fight you, because I would rather have scared you all off or at least get you to convince to town this place was not worth saving. I will act as I have said: remove the villagers by any means necessary, and you get more than what they offered, anything you find in the town, and my precious fire gem."

Carvenhall, let us lead him to the village. I suggest we surround him in order to protect him from the villagers and they from him. As the situation may be. I trust this necromancer not, but if he is willing to speak with the villagers, shall we not see what he has to say?

Wizard, I give you this chance in order that lives may be spared. If you betray that intent your end will be as swift and cold as my grandfather's wrath.

"I am in the right. Nobody was here when I came to this island, only the plants and animals. I respectfully took from the land and gave back and cared. When I realized how despicable the Tridentians were, I had to do this."

"Yo man, you ain't got to do nothing, aight? You chose to do this, right? Boss man, it's your call, but I still think this dude a whack and has got a nasty 'tude. People are the bomb, ain't no reason to be mean to them. I think you talk to most people, they listen, right?"

He made the choice to damn his soul, but if he can make the choice to talk over corrupt I say we allow him to try, but be wary. My heart is heavy for my part in the death of the mother. I could not save her, but perhaps by brokering a peace between this man and the village I can save her son beyond tomorrow.

"I'm with Bobby. Sometimes you don't have the luxury of being 'nice' when you're trying to carve a life for yourself. We'll have a chat with the villagers when they get back, but as far I can tell, they have nothing to be sorry for. You want to live in the dirt and eat twigs and leaves, fine, but you're in no place to pass judgment on them based on what they do for a living, you undead-dredging sarkuun," snapped Miderun viciously.

Edited by CallMePie

"Either you come with us, or you choose death. I will not stand here arguing with you all day long! It's your choice. I'd rather take you to the village and see what the reactions will be, and see if these people really are killers like you say."

"I will go with you, but I wish I did not have to," the man finally said. He stood up and his stone chair disintegrated as did the other four. He quietly stood between the party, protected by them as was suggested.

The five made their way back to Tridentia.This time the journey seemed slow and monotonous. Nobody talked. Calder Den fiddled with his beard.

At last they reached the town. As they came, dozens of villagers came forth. Among them were the tailor, Lacy, Daniel and even Luke.

Tailor William Morris CU.jpg

"You're back! Did you solve the problem of our missing colors?" William asked before seeing the sorcerer. Then Calder Den came forward. "... who's he?" the tailor asked cautiously.

Luke stared wide eyed at the new mysterious man while Lacy jumped in:

LacyLaneCU_zpsfc43650e.jpg

"Did you find anything in the orchard, heroes?"

"Lacy, not now, there's more important business to attend to."

"All gather around to hear! We have brought the mighty enchanter and spellcrafter Calder Den to a peaceful negotiations between him and you all. He is the cause of the loss of color, however! He also has been on this island long before this colony was ever founded. I strongly recommend a peaceful compromise is met... OR ELSE..." Benji ends his relatively normal voiced speech with a disturbing animalistic growl.

Vindsval adds to Carvenhall's pronouncement. His voice booming across the courtyard.

You called us here as investigators. We are now Arbitrators. By the Laws of Heroica a third party may allow those with grievances to enter into a binding contract as they see fit. If both you and the enchanter can speak in good faith we can and will find a solution to this dilemma. But I tell all of you now, the first to draw blood will forfeit any claim to this island, its resources, and possibly your lives. The Wizard admits to causing your blight, but he too claims to have been wronged. What say you William? Will you listen and speak for the village in this matteR?

"Yo, y'all should be homies. He ain't the best guy, but he ain't the worst guy, and he's got some stuff to say about how y'all should be living. I don't know what's true and what's not but you should listen, you hear?" Bobby turns to Dean. "Yo man, you're on."

Frustrated by both sides lack of commitment to finding an end to the scourge Vindsval raises his voice.

WELL, WHAT DO YOU SAY? SOMEONE SPEAK UP.

The rumble of his voice knocks dust from rafters and sends village pigeons flying.

Sorry, this weekend is turning into an unexpected, personal one. Updates will happen but a little slower.

After a long silence, William spoke to Vindsval. "I will hear the lies this man puts forth, but I will pay no heed. You should have killed him when you got the chance."

"I never bothered you, tailor, but you disturbed my peace here on this island. You came to destroy and take this land."

"You took our wealth," William says and leans forward, but Lacy holds him back before he does anything rash.

Calder Den stands there and watches the little bout between the two townspeople. He turns to Benji with a look as if to say, "I told you so." Calder looks back to Lacy.

"I'm terribly sorry about what happened to your lover, and I'm sorry to be the one to tell you, but he's dead. Killed indirectly by the creatures I have used unwantingly to right this island and return it to it's natural state."

LacyLaneCU_zpsfc43650e.jpg

"You-" Lacy says but catches herself before doing anything.

"I would say I regret allowing it to happen, but you people brought it on yourselves when you began taking and taking and not giving back; when you began stealing and encroaching on my space."

"And you never wanted to confront us about it peacefully?"

"And you never wanted to see the harm you had been doing to the land and your own people? Mainly the harm happening right under your noses that you chose to ignore to your own people?

"You know nothing of our struggles here, wizard," William spat. "Look around at the mess you caused, the problems you're creating. This was not ours. I know not of the harm our people have suffered by us, but I know of the ones you have given us."

"So you choose to ignore the harm that came to your lady of the night and her son? I see everything on this island, tailor. Do you choose to ignore the harm that came to her son by her before she talked to that teenager? Should I list more of the crimes the town of Tridentia has brought?"

The air seems to become icy. What will the party say?

"I say we let the colony remain, and the Enchanter stay. We'll divide the island in two, and neither side will bother the other. That way the enchanter can have peace like he wants, and the colonists can greedily pursue wealth if that is their desire."

"That's a whole lot of land for one man, but I'm down with whatever you want, boss." Bobby kicks some dirt. Most of this is going right over his head - he doesn't really get what all the fuss is about. "Yo, adventuring ain't anything like I thought it'd be."

"This isn't adventuring, this is petty politics. Like its not bad enough in Eubric." Benji glares angrily at the enchanter and at the villagers

"You ignored Fiora just as much. I didn't see you around when we had to stop her. Let's be rid of this necromancer. If we leave him here there's nothing stopping him from going ahead with his plan as soon as he leaves."

calm yourself Miderun. I am to blame for the death of one innocent already, I will not be the cause of more needless deaths. Regardless of what these people may or may not have done, I will give them the chance to end this peaceably. If they will not take this chance, or allow it to be taken I will destroy what needs to be destroyed. But, the chance has been given and I will see it through.

Miderun crossed her arms and jerked her head at Calder and the village.

"Does it look like any peace you broker between them is going to last more than a week?"

I am told that "human" nature can win out over baser urges. If creatures such as us can live at peace with the world that wants to kill us surely these "men" can live at peace on this is island.

Edited by Asphalt

I am told that "human" nature can win out over baser urges. If creatures such as us can live at peace with the world that wants to kill us surely these "men" can live at peace on this is island.

Miderun narrowed her eyes slightly but made no comment.

Allow them this chance. If it is as you fear then both of us will be satisfied.

"I don't 'fear' anything here. I just have no desire to watch them kill eachother while we sit back and act like we did all we could. If both groups remain here we're not solving anything. We're delaying the inevitable. Even if they agree to peace, it's not going to last."

So your solution would be to flip a coin and destroy the loser?

Vindsval pulls a battered disk from a pouch.

Then by all means, let the fates decide.

Heads the village stands, tails we raise it to the ground and bathe in blood and ashes.

Edited by Asphalt