Sign in to follow this  
Manx

(SoNE Ep. VI) I. Fast snack

Spies told us, that Fett is going to stop on Bothawui. But when me and other members of squad 12 came there, there weren't any ships there ... Bothans told us, that we missed him just for 5 minutes! He bought some food and gas and continued his journey.

2014_08_18_21_55_50.jpg

Bothawui consist of farms and information centres, so I built them. A small base on the top of the hill and a small farm (nothing grew up yet). And ofcourse, there's squad 12's ship.

Something smaller this time, but since I'm in great lack of time, this is all I was able to build.

Edited by Manx

Yes, your pictures are down. Thankfully I was able to look at this earlier today before they went down! I really like your microscale ship. It's very clearly your style of ship in micro form. Good job. You've also captured the look of the planet in a way that is clearly your own, but also true to visualization of Bothawui that I had. Well done.

I'm also going to add that the idea for this contest was to show planetary detail on a mini-fig scale rather than a micro scale. It wasn't stated in the rules and you haven't broken them. I'm just using your build as an example, since a few others have focused on the micro-scale as well, to remind people that there are good ways to show details on a 16x16 vignette without have to force the perspective at all. Again, nothing personal against you Manx, your build just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Thank you, MKJoshA. I had many ideas about MOC of this planet, most of them in minifigure scale, but since there's a size limit, none of them were executable. But if I'll have time for another expedition, that one will be in bigger scale. And if anyone wants to see the picture, (s)he can, I replaced the picture.

Nice micro building, Manx! You captured the feel of Bothawui pretty well. The shapes are very general though, not showing a lot of details, so that this is more an abstract than a figurative build. The hill, for example, is just a slope without a lot of texture. It was good of you to add some color variation, but some physical texture would be nice as well. Making a more uneven terrain will make it more interesting. You could offset some slopes to achieve this, but that would result in a lot of hard edges, and it wouldn't mesh with the ground texture very well. Try to have some consistency in models, unless you want to stress contrast of course. So here, you could have made the slope by angling some plates, so that you have the studs again, that serve you both in texture as in possibilities to add more details. And about that consistency versus contrast thing, I think it would have been better if you got rid of the studs on the top of the buildings, as they now strangely match the ground. There could be some tiles, slopes or panels (so that you would have a more interesting architecture) to make it more sleek than the natural environment. A very good point on this build, is the color usage though. You played with brightness and saturation to create distinction between all of the natural and artificial elements, so in that way, you already have a nice structure.

So it would be nice if you could continue that with the actual, physical texture. It's very hard to achieve in micro building, but use some unusual pieces, and have a lot of patience experimenting, and your micro MOCs will keep getting better and better, until they're just as good as your ships!