Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #105: Eternal Reaper

"Wonderful to see you again Captain Armstrong! It has been too long."

Erdathcath overhears the conversation between Karie and Punii, smiling, she remembers that Punii really hasn't changed from the sweet little larva that he was. She then pulls out the sail that the Sand Queen had given her, and presents it to Armstrong.

"Here is the sail you mentioned, are we all ready to go?

ixvKNNds.png

"Thanks. Now, there is plenty of time to talk on the boat, and apparently not a lot of time left to waste, so we oughta get going."

The party clops along the dock, eventually reaching Excelsus. They climb upa aldder, ascending it's tall hull, finding themselves on the deck. There, Captain Armstrong begins barking orders to his crew, the deckhands quickly unboxing and unfolding the Swift Sail. The heroes watch as they hoist it up the mast, finally seeing the Sand Queen's gift in it's full glory.

978LlA8.png

ixvKNNds.png

"Huh. Sail looks pretty good when it's up, all things considered. Damn shame I have to return it to that Veteran when all is said and done, eh?

Untie the ropes, boys, we're sailing out!"

In a matter of minutes, the ropes binding Excelsus to the docks are undone, and before long the ship shoves out into sea. The Swift Sail carries the ship at an alarming rate, crusing through the ocean blue with ease.

The briny oceanwind passes over the deck as the ship sails out.

ixvKNNds.png

"Never thought I'd see the day where this vessel went so fast. Magic these days, huh?

Either way, heroes, this voyage is gonna be a long while. We're sialing all the way into the coldest reaches of Olegaia, you know, and no amount of magic will make the trip instant. Join me in the galley and we'll talk - the deckhands have things covered topside for a little bit."

The party follows Armstrong beneath deck and into the mess hall, a orange hatted man sitting idly. In a stark contrast, a chef frantically runs through his tiny kitchen, trying to prepare as much as he can in as little time as possible. The heroes pull up stools and take a seat at an isolated table, Armstrong sitting down as well.

MyBxeVB.png

ixvKNNds.png

"Now then, some formal introductions. Captain Armstrong, former fisherman, former army man, current Captain hauling you lot across the sea for the next three weeks. Bruce?"

Er9SFkx.png

"Aye, that's my name. I'm Bruce, first mate here."

v8a6OjR.png

"And I'm the resident chef here, Chef Perdue. Hope you like seafood, because that's what you usually get on here. I've got some carrot soup going, at least."

Er9SFkx.png

"Welcomin' guests with soup, Perdue? Ain't that just the definition of bland? Hah! Any of you boys and girls need some liquor? We have some onboard, if ya want it."

ixvKNNds.png

"Booze aside, who would you folks be? I'm only familiar with Erdathcath.

Any questions about your arrangements, or how we're running this vessel, be sure to ask now."

Johon walks through the mess hall, listening to the captain and the crew there.

"I'm Johon, I'm probably the one with the most experience with the Regret, and probably the one with the most grudge against him." He replies to the captain, looking in the crate to see if he can find any cider. "I'm not too much of a drinker," he says to Bruce as he looks through the contents.

ixvKNNds.png

"Grudge, huh? I can't say I know much about him, myself. What'd he do?"

Johon pulls out a bottle of some cheap Apple Cider - just good enough to taste decent, but didn't really provide him with any benefits.

Er9SFkx.png

"Anyone else want anything?"

Vcmh0ri.png

"I'm abstaining, so no thank you..."

Bruce laughs, and begins to joke with Masson.

Er9SFkx.png

"I bet you're fun at parties."

Edited by Endgame

Em, looking uncomfortable (and a little green), swiftly denies alcohol. "I won't be drinking either," he manages, placing his elbows on the table resting his face on his palms. "I'm Em, by the way."

ixvKNNds.png

"Em, huh? That short for anything?"

"I suppose it is," Em replies with a slight shrug. It sounded more like a question than an answer. "It's a lot less of a mouthful, at any rate."

ixvKNNds.png

"Fair enough. While we're on the subject of names... My first is Steven. Ever since I got this ship, I've been calling myself Captain Armstrong... I bet half of the people I'm introduced to don't know my first name."

"Captain Armstrong, it seems you have quite the career. My name is Karie. Let's just hope everything goes well and we have a safe journey."

As Armstrong mentions Erdathcath, she looks her over. It had been awhile since the two actually spoke, and even when they did, she got no real answers why she was part tree.

"Actually captain, I do have a question, a serious one. How much do you trust your crew?"

Karie hoped she wouldn't have to delve into the potential paranoia, but if her previous encounters ensured her anything...

Edited by Kintobor

"Well, you know who am I already, as for a drink, do you happen to have any tea?"

ixvKNNds.png

"We have water and cider, if you're starying from alchohol. Not much else."

"Actually captain, I do have a question, a serious one. How much do you trust your crew?"

Karie hoped she wouldn't have to delve into the potential paranoia, but if her previous encounters ensured her anything...

Armstrong shrugs.

ixvKNNds.png

"More than I trust you. And that isn't meant to be an attack, simply a statement. I trust me crew - each one of them has been helping this ship for at least six months. I've only "known" you for, what, an hour?

But yes, my crew is reliable. Why do you ask?"

Er9SFkx.png

"Meh, any mention of demons and everyone goes nuts. We'll probably start cannibilizing eachother halfway through, hah hah."

Armstrong shoots Bruce a look that says one thing very clearly: His humor was currently not very much appreciated.

Edited by Endgame

Karie leans back in her chair and begins to ponder. The last thing she wanted was distrust to spread throughout the heroes.

"No reason in particular. I'm just usually paranoid about this kind of stuff."

She wished the party had more privacy to speak, but with the Regret having sent the invitation himself, who's to say his minions were aboard the vessel. She remembers back to the Oculoids having thought reading abilities.

If you can hear me, you won't for very long.

"I'll have a bottle of alcohol please.

Masson, I know you're abstaining, but why don't we share a bottle? I know you drink it occasionally." She suggests playfully.

Masson chuckles.

Vcmh0ri.png

"Dare I ask why you want me to drink, Karie?"

He gives his wife a smile.

Edited by Endgame

"Have you sailed these waters before?" Em inquires. It seemed as though he was growing more accustomed to their method of transport, though his visage was still a little pale.

ixvKNNds.png

"Some of them. The area around the island itself - The Lonely Island, I believe it's called, hasn't been navigated for a long while. There used to be three sea monsters guarding the waters around it. They were called all sorts of things. Living Waves, Hull Splitters-"

Vcmh0ri.png

"-Ameobosses. I researched them a few months back, after seeing them in the newspaper."

ixvKNNds.png

"Hm. So I'm guessing you know their fates, then?"

Vcmh0ri.png

"All three died. Their corpses washed up on shores across Olegaia about a month ago."

Er9SFkx.png

"Right you are! And if the grapevine ain't lyin', people have gotten it into their heads that the island has some sort of huge treasure. People worldwide are heading to that island now to claim the treasure."

qi64g.png

"Does that strike anyone *wheeze* else as... convenient?"

"It is awful convenient, Punii," Em agrees with a nod. "Though most things tend to turn out that way. How did the three, er, ameobosses die?"

Er9SFkx.png

"All three of them, a gaping hole clean through their head."

"A gaping hole? That sounds like it very well could be the work of the Regret, though I'm sure there are many other creatures that could cause that. Who knows, maybe they are creatures that are sensitive to light, and being exposed too long, something killed them. It could be anything....right?"

Masson chuckles.

Vcmh0ri.png

"Dare I ask why you want me to drink, Karie?"

He gives his wife a smile.

"I thought you'd like to relax a little bit. We've got three weeks until we get to this island, so we might as well take some time to enjoy it."

She replies back to him. Karie listens with intrigue as the discussion of the Ameobosses is brought up.

"I've heard of them, from Octavyn, and to be honest, if they're dead, why should we care? One less obstacle in our way!"

Edited by Kintobor

if they're dead, why should we care? One less obstacle in our way!"

"Perhaps, if it was the regret that killed them then it is our own fortune. If it was not, then we may be facing a greater adversary than the three monsters would have posed."

"A gaping hole? That sounds like it very well could be the work of the Regret, though I'm sure there are many other creatures that could cause that. Who knows, maybe they are creatures that are sensitive to light, and being exposed too long, something killed them. It could be anything....right?"

ixvKNNds.png

"Who knows? They're literally living waves. Anything might've done them in."

"Perhaps, if it was the regret that killed them then it is our own fortune. If it was not, then we may be facing a greater adversary than the three monsters would have posed."

Er9SFkx.png

"I'm just glad someone killed them. They kept that part of the sea under lockdown for far, far too long."

"I thought you'd like to relax a little bit. We've got three weeks until we get to this island, so we might as well take some time to enjoy it."

Masson laughs.

Vcmh0ri.png

"Trust me, ma cherie, the reason I abstain is because drinking stresses me out.

Don't worry. I'll enjoy these three weeks as long as you're here, methinks."

"Three weeks..." Em mutters, turning paler.

He rubs his face quickly. "Whether or not the Regret killed them, I fear there may still be a greater threat lurking in the water. Hell, perhaps that demon cloned them. We should remain cautious."

"Either way, I don't like the sound of it. Something killed them, all three of them at that..." Johon says, taking a sip of some cider, deciding it was too fermented for his tastes. He wipes the top before corking it and placing it on the table.

"Well, I guess I'm ready for the wait..." Johon says, sitting back, then having an idea. He looks across the table, now addressing the captain.

"Any of your crew itching for a brawl in the meantime?" Johon says, chuckling, but serious. "Been quite a spell since I've had some good hand-to-hand combat. I'd be willing to bet 50 gold if you find anyone interested." Johon says, having no further questions currently.

He rubs his face quickly. "Whether or not the Regret killed them, I fear there may still be a greater threat lurking in the water. Hell, perhaps that demon cloned them. We should remain cautious."

ixvKNNds.png

"That's a good point, unless someone was intentionally trying to allow passage to the Lonely Island."

"Either way, I don't like the sound of it. Something killed them, all three of them at that..." Johon says, taking a sip of some cider, deciding it was too fermented for his tastes. He wipes the top before corking it and placing it on the table.

"Well, I guess I'm ready for the wait..." Johon says, sitting back, then having an idea. He looks across the table, now addressing the captain.

"Any of your crew itching for a brawl in the meantime?" Johon says, chuckling, but serious. "Been quite a spell since I've had some good hand-to-hand combat. I'd be willing to bet 50 gold if you find anyone interested." Johon says, having no further questions currently.

Er9SFkx.png

"Normally I'd love to see such a sport, lad, but we don't really have the facilities, or a way to heal you if things go sour. Can't have the boat burn down."

QM Note: I'll let Zepher respond before I move this on.

Edited by Endgame